Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only made it 49 miles w/ my White Z51 before getting "Service Rear Axle". "No problem!", I thought. There is a TSB for some pump that isn't plugged all the way in. Dealership reports that they are "stumped" and "calling GM". I do not have a great feeling about this.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
None that I noticed driving it home from the dealership! ;) Dealer is replacing "rear axle control module" tomorrow. Fingers crossed...

·
Registered
3 Posts
None that I noticed driving it home from the dealership! ;) Dealer is replacing "rear axle control module" tomorrow. Fingers crossed...
Same exact story here minus 10 miles on the odometer.

I'd really like an update. Was it resolved and how? We had to take it into the dealer for the same reason 4 days ago and they have replaced the same module and that didn't fix it! The Corvette technician has no clue what the problem is and it looks like we've hit a dead end. Now they are calling GM and trying to find an engineer to look into it.

Listen, we bought this car a week ago and have had it for only 3 days before having it sent off. I just want to see it again and drive it again.

The dealer is closed for the next two days leaving us to wait until Monday for them to just start looking for someone.

Ask them if they got two fault codes up on scan: C0393 & C0414
Chip, what's special about these codes?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
GraySpeed; They are the fault codes that show on a scan for a failed / faulty control module. Do yourself a favor and make sure your battery leads are tight and that your battery is fully charged.

·
Registered
3 Posts
GraySpeed; They are the fault codes that show on a scan for a failed / faulty control module. Do yourself a favor and make sure your battery leads are tight and that your battery is fully charged.
I honestly can't do anything personally. It's in the shop and out of my hands. Only way to reach them is frequent calls to the dealer and going through 4 levels of customer service.

They just replaced some part on the battery in order to get the car started (kept failing to turn on; this fixed it), so I feel like that shouldn't be the problem? It's a brand new part for the battery. I wish I had more information than that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Important that I mention: The car's battery was faulty. The car kept failing to turn on except for at random times when it would actually work. When it failed, the car would shut off and the battery would be very drained. The dealer fixed this by replacing a part of the battery. The car turns on reliably now.

That light, however, came on as soon as the car was turned on (actually turned on for once) and driven over to the dealer for the battery issue alone.

It's also important that I mention that my father was trying to install a battery tender which involved loosening the nuts on the battery to connect the tender. However, they were retightened afterwards. They were certainly not loose.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Chip, have you seen these rear axle problems for both the automatic and manual transmissions, or just one type of them?

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
When someone says to check the batt cables, they don't mean just tighten the nuts. A bad connection can be had even if the cables are tight. The proper fix is remove cables and sand both cables and posts to a bright shiny raw metal, scrub with a alcohol swab and reattach. Then slather with DI- electric or batt terminal grease....and load test the batt, not just voltage.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
When someone says to check the batt cables, they don't mean just tighten the nuts. A bad connection can be had even if the cables are tight. The proper fix is remove cables and sand both cables and posts to a bright shiny raw metal, scrub with a alcohol swab and reattach. Then slather with DI- electric or batt terminal grease....and load test the batt, not just voltage.
Not exactly true Glen. I know that some owners have found that a lead was loose enough to wiggle. What you suggest is good to do as well, but in some case the leads were not properly installed.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I believe I have, I can't imagine there would be a difference as the E-Diff works the same way for both.
Oh, somehow I thought they were different. I thought the rear axle gear ratio was different for Z51 automatic (2.73) versus manual (3.42). From that, I thought that only one of them might be having the problem.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Not exactly true Glen. I know that some owners have found that a lead was loose enough to wiggle. What you suggest is good to do as well, but in some case the leads were not properly installed.
you misunderstood, yes many have found it loose, what I'm saying is it can be tight, but not conducting well...

·
Registered
31 Posts
1600 miles d I first got "rear axle disabled". Next day it said "service axle". Z51 by the way.

I took it in and the dealership know nothing about any issues. I filled them in and they checked and saw inspection marks indicating a signoff on the connector and fluid level. I ask them to look at the fluid and they were very accomadating. They even had me come back when they did it. We captured some fluid and I can tell you it looked like metallic paint!!!. serial # is in the 12k range. I WOULD SUGGEST THAT ANYONE GETTING THIS SERVICE MESSAGE TAKE THE EXTRA STEP AND HAVE THE FLUID CHECKED. Perhaps the message is actually a telltale sign of differential failureToo coincidental for me. I am waiting on a new differential at this point

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought I heard slight noise but nothing that concerned me. No smell. I am separated from the car now so not sure of the build date 112xxx. Will advise with any update. If reagents are locking up at speed, is that not a serious safety issue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just got my White Z51 with 5 miles on it when flatbeded down here from Oaklahoma. I diddnt notice any warning light pulling into garage but it was 3AM. I go to fire it up the next or later that day and I get every warning there is! ABS, Stabilitrack, service rear axle you name it. Took it to local dealer here in San Antonio and the problem was faulty sensor on front passenger side wheel sending wrong or no data to the other systems. Replaced and now everything seems ok. I hope it stays that way!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi StingrayForums...I am a newbie and I figured that I would provide some insight for a "service rear axle" problem that I encountered recently. I recently purchased a used 2014 Stingray Z51 with 2900 miles. Had it for a week and as I was pulling out of my subdivision, I encountered the "service rear axle" message that many others have experienced. I took it to a dealer and they advised the car had already been brought in for a similar problem and was repaired under the Customer Satisfaction program, so they were surprised to see it in the shop. Turns out after a week of diagnosing the problem and countless hours on the phone with GM engineering, they said the problem is with the eLSD clutch pump. It was replaced and I drove it nearly 70 miles without incident. If you are getting the same service message, you may want to ask them to investigate this piece of the puzzle. Hope this helps...Fred

1 - 20 of 51 Posts