Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
As TCM stated, it will probably still be there but it's fairly cheap and simple to get around it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have been under a "C3" Rock for too many years. For those of us that do not know what "Skip Shift" is, could someone empower us with your knowledge?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have been under a "C3" Rock for too many years. For those of us that do not know what "Skip Shift" is, could someone empower us with your knowledge?
Shift blocking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here are the conditions under which it activates:
• The engine coolant temperature is higher than
169°F (76°C),
• the vehicle is going 15 to 19 mph (24 to 31 km/h) and
• the vehicle 21 percent throttle or less.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
371 Posts
The skip shift is when your going 15 or 20 MPH instead of shifting from first to second gear it skips it and takes you into 4th gear to save fuel. hope that helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I will keep my initial comments to myself! Let's see - let's go out and buy an expensive sports car for its economical value! Yeah, I get it????????? NOT!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for the responses! I will keep my initial comments to myself! Let's see - let's go out and buy an expensive sports car for its economical value! Yeah, I get it????????? NOT!
haha, it's not about the fuel economy, it's purely about avoiding having to charge the gas guzzler tax. Would you rather pay an extra $2600 (that's off of a ZL1 camaro invoice) in tax to appease the moonbats or just have to buy a $20 jumper & bypass the skip shift?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Its free to deactivate for everyone crying they dont care about gas milage.. HIT THE F GAS.. LMAO..
On my camaro mine went on maybe once in traffic for the whole 12,000 miles I had it.. I drive the car like it was meant I give it gas.. then I usually goto 3rd.. I like the 1st to 3rd on city driving..
When I supercharged my car the tuner Jannetty Racing tuned out the skip shift..

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have skip shift on my Challenger 6 speed manual. If you don't expect it, which you won't, the shift from first to forth results in an unexpected loss of power that can and will prevent you from accelerating from an awkward situation if you need to. I think it is dangerous, so for $15. I bought a skip shift eliminator which solved the problem. The skip shift light will still illuminate but transmission will shift from first to second as normal, not first to forth. It was a simple fix for my Challenger, doubt it would be much more difficult for your C7, took about five minutes to install. Below is a picture of the skip shift on the Challenger.
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i288/ocvette/SkipShift2.png

·
Registered
993 Posts
2 choices that I'm aware of.
1) Buy the plug assembly and install it to 'fool' the computer and retain the dash indicator when in skip ship mode.
2) Get into the tune and change one parameter to eliminate the skip shift which will also eliminate the dash indicator.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Ugh. I didn't realize this. Glad to have the heads up before I got stuck in traffic. :-(

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ugh. I didn't realize this. Glad to have the heads up before I got stuck in traffic. :-(
Or like I did on a frost covered hill with the wife on board. Damn thing got me all tangled up with what I was doing and got me sideways. Had I made it into second like I was trying to do it would have been no problem.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I will undoubtedly be looking into how to over-ride or program it out.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts
Skip Shift is more than an irritant, could be a safety issue. Finally warm enough (for a day) to get under the car and install a Skip Shift Eliminator. Works great. Made a How To Install and included how to jack up the Corvette high enough for access for those new to DIY for the Vette.
Check it out the 8 page report with pics at NetWelding.com/Reports_Vette_Info.htm

Skip_Shift.jpg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts