Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some of u may remember I had an engine failure at 380 miles on my 2014 z51 manual. I never was informed as to the mode of failure of that engine but the engine was replaced and broken in gently. Last Friday as I was following a Porsche the temp warning came on, oil pressure dropped to zero and engine started knocking and it died. Had the oil changed to mobil one a week before. 1.5 hours after failure there was NO oil on the dip stick. Car was towed to local dealership southern Jersey. They called me initially to say no oil in car then 5 minutes later said they drained 8 quarts. Diagnostics reportedly said engine "came apart" at 60mph. So now I have a rental the car is at a dealership 150 miles from my home. Roadside assistance tells me the dealership has voided my warranty (which they deny) and it would cost me hundreds of dollars to tow to local dealership that changed the engine the first time. The dealership won't touch the car until Chevy tells then it's a warranty issue and Chevy not going to look at the car till Monday. I was not raciing the car but doing a driver's event at track. Local Chevy dealership filled out mechanical clearance paper work for the event. The Chevy customer car person has a call scheduled with me tomorrow and has not answered my voice mail. Looking for thoughts and suggestions. Last time things got very heated on this thread so let's keep it civil and on topic please. Just looking for some assistance with a really bad situation

·
Registered
739 Posts
So sorry to hear this. I expect Chevy will make good without trouble for you. Keep us informed and hope it doesn't take too long.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Nothing against rmms99 but this is exactly why i would not buy a used C7...

·
Registered
896 Posts
This affair is a big shame and I'm disappointed for you.
The C7 engines failures statistics are not known and will never be known and that is not something to convict the customers that they can trust in their C7. The lack of communication and reactivity of the customers service you seem to tolerate is something hard to understand.

The probability to have 2 engines died in the same car is quite near zero and this fact would be, for me, the reason to exige a replacement for a new C7 and I would not change my willing.
Regarding the new problem and the different services involved I would to go to an attorney and give him all in hands to manage this case.

GM or another manufacturer, it doesn't matter, you paid a lot of money to enjoy and use your car at your willing and if the one you purchased have a problem, it would be at least a minimum to supply a same replacement car to the customer to make him quieter until the solution's time.

I cross my fingers for you.

Reactions: Mobius

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The way I read the post was the first failure was in April, and he got a new engine shortly thereafter. All was well until recently when the second engine "came apart".

Also, he did not specify who changed his oil to Mobil 1 one week ago. Was it done at a Chevrolet dealership? Did they not completely fill it up with oil (only eight quarts came out, but his is a Z51). There are many questions here which GM will need to get answered before this is all resolved.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
rmms; Man, this is tough to read about. Sorry... Please give us some more details and answer the questions posed here and above. How many miles did you have on the new engine and were there any "tells" that made you take note of them before the engine blew? Was it an oil temp warning or a water temp. warning (or both) that you got?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have to wonder with the Z51 dry sump system if any ground metal from the original engine failure remained in the reservoir and or tubes and migrated back into replacement engine.
I would think a careful cleaning of all external oiling system components would be a must.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have to wonder with the Z51 dry sump system if any ground metal from the original engine failure remained in the reservoir and or tubes and migrated back into replacement engine.
I would think a careful cleaning of all external oiling system components would be a must.
You pose a very good question!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
the temp warning came on, oil pressure dropped to zero and engine started knocking and it died.
What was the time frame for all of that? I assume you stopped immediately when the "temp" warning came on. Following the event you checked the oil and it didn't register. The dealer said no oil in it then said there were 8 quarts. What a strange story.

Mobius: I'm sure you studied statistical probability. What are the chances there would be two engine failures as described?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
The "no oil" "oh wait, there were eight quarts" makes perfect sense. The dealership was giving raw information before double checking. They checked the dip stick, saw nothing, and said "no oil!" Then they later tried to drain oil out of it and got eight quarts.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
You pose a very good question!
I've always been concerned about guys who use the 'roloc' discs to grind of old gasket material. This video from GM addresses the issue of cleanliness when doing engine work.
Even small particles of contamination can migrate to critical areas and cause major problems.

Watch this video for in depth analysis of engine failure after repairs:

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Mobius: I'm sure you studied statistical probability. What are the chances there would be two engine failures as described?
Hmm, let me get out my #2 pencil, and commence to cypherin'...
Two hours later....
My God! It's a "black swan" event!

QED

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Sorry to hear about this! Wow! Hang in there!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Statistically improbable I would imagine. You said you were following a Porsche but where and how fast? Were you on a track or in town or....breaking an engine properly can save heartache down the road...hope everything works out for you...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Statistically improbable I would imagine. You said you were following a Porsche but where and how fast? Were you on a track or in town or....breaking an engine properly can save heartache down the road...hope everything works out for you...
Reading his description it appears he was at a track event, either a test and tune or HPDE. Regardless, if the car was properly prepped, and again, based on reading between the lines it was since he commented a Chevy dealer signed off on the technical sheet the event required, and the car was operating within normal operating parameters (no missed shifts, etc.) then it simply should not have broken. If the car can't withstand track use without popping motors then something is seriously wrong with the design.

Personally I don't believe that to be the case, I believe these two failure are related and if properly diagnosed I believe the cause will turn out to be an ancillary system and not the motors themselves. If the car were that fragile both Fellows and Bondurant would have a warehouse full of dead cars, they don't.

Since he was not told what failed on the first motor it's likely he won't be told on this one and since this is the internet I expect there to be pages of speculation and a root cause will never be determined, at least publicly.

Reactions: Boomer

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
The "no oil" "oh wait, there were eight quarts" makes perfect sense. The dealership was giving raw information before double checking. They checked the dip stick, saw nothing, and said "no oil!" Then they later tried to drain oil out of it and got eight quarts.
It "makes perfect sense" that with 8 quarts in the car there would be no dip stick reading?

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
What is GM's policy regarding warranties and track use? Often, use of a car in competitive events is used as an excuse to void warranty claims. But in the case of the Corvette, they actually sanction and subsidize owner participation in the Fellows school. I would argue that sending owners to a track school, presumably so they can use the cars they have purchased in track events, sanctions track use of the car.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
What is GM's policy regarding warranties and track use? Often, use of a car in competitive events is used as an excuse to void warranty claims. But in the case of the Corvette, they actually sanction and subsidize owner participation in the Fellows school. I would argue that sending owners to a track school, presumably so they can use the cars they have purchased in track events, sanctions track use of the car.
HPDE's and other non timed events are not considered competition. Just because the car is driven on a track at speeds above legal street limits should not void any warranties if the car is prepped as instructed.

FWIW, I can take ANY Porsche, including their 5500 lb SUV to a track as it's delivered from the dealer, without any special prep, and run it to it's limits without effecting warranty. If GM wants to tout the Corvette as a competitor to the 911 they need to compete on all levels, including track readiness.

Reactions: Sciros and Gyrsaker
1 - 20 of 83 Posts