Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to update those of you that were interested on my engine failure earlier this month. Chevy customer service opened a case and did not call me back for a week. After a week I called them several times and they never answered or returned my calls. I called the service manager at my dealership and she was able to finally get them to pick up one payment. GM would not extend warranty or provide any other compensation. They stated that the new engine did not lower the resale because the engines are not vin etched anymore. I was also informed that they will not let me know what went wrong with the engine even when they come to a conclusion. So bottom line is 15 days no car, one monthly payment, new engine, no explanation on mode of failure.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I could swear that during my Build Tour that I watched the VIN get etched into the engine block. I was standing watching the engine come out in line and my VIN showed up on an electronic screen and I was told by my guide the next operation was the etching of that VIN on the block. My Build Photo Album has a photo of that screen display.

·
Registered
896 Posts
All those explanations from Chevy customer service look very strange, at least we can feel that they don't take a great care of a customer who have the right to be very disappointed (and also very nervous).
They would have to return to a marketing school to learn the basis of the rules: the customer's satisfaction is the only goal in any business.

Beside that an angry customer can be the source of a lot of goodwill lost !

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't doubt it for a moment

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I know I'll be flamed here and that's ok...and I won't post here again, but I can see GM doing exactly what they did.
1. they made the owner whole by the mo payment while they fix the car
2. the engine will not affect resale per the explanation given
3. they don't owe you an explanation of what went wrong, per their warranty policy. The have to "fix", not "fix and explain".
4. you get a whole new engine so you are guaranteed the problem is gone.

I think it's fair....

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'd sell the car; take the loss and never again buy a GM product. And, whoever it was, please don't tell us to "calm down." GM's handling of this is inexcusable. Frankly, the fact that the engine blew is not the concern. Stuff happens. It is how the manufacturer handles the problem that counts. IF GM had some "balls" they'd post here exactly why the engine failed and why they decided on this course of action and answer all questions (i.e. do engines have VIN's?). If they did that, GM would get a lot of praise for being candid and willing to take all questions. My other concern is having a local dealer do the engine swap. Maybe I'm alone in this point of view?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I know I'll be flamed here and that's ok...and I won't post here again, but I can see GM doing exactly what they did.
1. they made the owner whole by the mo payment while they fix the car
2. the engine will not affect resale per the explanation given
3. they don't owe you an explanation of what went wrong, per their warranty policy. The have to "fix", not "fix and explain".
4. you get a whole new engine so you are guaranteed the problem is gone.

I think it's fair....
I would have to agree in spite of all of the forum rhetoric that is certain to follow.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Years ago I worked for a Cadillac dealership, and was the lucky heavy line mechanic who got to R&R all the 4.1 litre v-8's that had their "issue" we were advised not to have correspondence with the vehicles owners, not to say anything to them, and direct all questions to the service manager. The fact that the 4.1 litre engine would not let the oil return to the pan because of poor engineering would have been an embarrassment to GM, and create a backlash of customer doubt toward GM. While I understand why GM is doing what they're doing, does not make it very palatable.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I just wanted to update those of you that were interested on my engine failure earlier this month. Chevy customer service opened a case and did not call me back for a week. After a week I called them several times and they never answered or returned my calls. I called the service manager at my dealership and she was able to finally get them to pick up one payment. GM would not extend warranty or provide any other compensation. They stated that the new engine did not lower the resale because the engines are not vin etched anymore. I was also informed that they will not let me know what went wrong with the engine even when they come to a conclusion. So bottom line is 15 days no car, one monthly payment, new engine, no explanation on mode of failure.
Wow, I've heard any engine issues and they're reaping the entire motor opposed to replacing the faulty part. But that's really concerning that they won't even reveal what went wrong?! While I can understand the proprietary nature and not wanting to incite mass hysteria, as the consumer, I feel we have a right to know since it is our property at that time. If it was a GMAC lease, then I guess it would be diff.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
I was the one who made the "calm down" statement in the other thread. I thought it was fitting for what was going on in the other thread at the time. GM, at that time, had not yet even had time to act.

Now that GM has had time to act, I am surprised they did not do more than they did. I understand Glen's point that they are not legally bound to do more, but I did expect they would have done more, such as giving an extended warranty as a show of good faith. I, too, am disappointed for the original poster.

Of course, this is not necessarily over yet. If something goes wrong again...

Reactions: Raydor and C7ish

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I'll break my promise and post. I too think he deserves a ext warranty, we gave them at BMW and Honda when we replaced major stuff.....but overall it's not a screw job what they did. I would love to hear a lawyer here chime in if there is a winnable case here based on their actions....I don't think there is...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Hmmmmm.....This kind of treatment just ain't right. There is a right way and a wrong way to do things in handling a customer's calls and/or a request for an explanation. Standing by the letter of the warranty contract is one way but IMO in a circumstance like this, it's the wrong way and the customer deserves better. It's all about doing the right thing. Besides being loyal to GM and spending a lot of money for a car, what did the customer do to deserve having his calls ignored? What did he do to deserve no explanation as to why GM's $70,000+ car left him stranded on the side of the road with only 300 miles on it? I need a drink. This really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. :mad:

·
Registered
896 Posts
Gerak said : I was standing watching the engine come out in line and my VIN showed up on an electronic screen and I was told by my guide the next operation was the etching of that VIN on the block.
Chevy customer service replied to mms9 : the new engine did not lower the resale because the engines are not vin etched anymore.

So, is it not a manner to consider the customer as an idiot ? A such lie is absolutely unacceptable and I really have some difficulties to understand this way to make business :(

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Why did the web site take down the original "She Died" thread? Will this one come down also?
Randy; As indicated we just locked it, and yes unless we can turn this thread into constructive dialog it will be locked as well. rmms; Did your car make any noises similar to those made in this video before it died?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It's interesting how some have completely different experiences. It makes you wonder how much is the fault of the relationship between the dealership and the regional office? I've just seen so many stories where GM has bent over backwards to satisfy a customer that this story sounds like we are missing a lot of the back story. The back story may have nothing to do with the OP, it could be bad blood between the service manager and GM because in many of these cases the dealership needs to act as your advocate and it sounds like they were indifferent.

Anyway, I agree with Glen, a service contract and better communication, neither of which will cost GM much money, could go a long way here.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
378 Posts
Just as GM has stated in previous memos " The end user is not our customer, our customer is the dealership, the end user is the customer of the dealership" That is how they view these types of issues, and it's not a very good policy imo.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nope not the same noise

1 - 20 of 28 Posts