Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have searched but have not found any like posts. Last night around 2am my AW z51 manual started making a noise like the engine was misfiring and then completely stalled out (I did not run out of gas). Power remained but would not turn over on attempted restart. Tow guy said this was his fifth stingray with same problem and told me to try to start with foot 1/2 to 3/4 to floor and it almost started but would not. He said a fuel pressure issue. Anyone heard of this? Ideas? T:(

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I've been thinking about this and figured I would start with the easy stuff first. Check the battery terminals for tightness and make sure the battery if fully charged. Had the car done anything that got your attention before this happened? Had it been in storage before this happened?

·
Registered
122 Posts
TOW guy said what? 5th Stingray? I've seen only 3 stingrays on the road this entire year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
TOW guy said what? 5th Stingray? I've seen only 3 stingrays on the road this entire year.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app
Exactly.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
I have read about one C7 having this issue and it turned out to be the 60amp fuse on the Power Distribution Panel that's directly connected to the battery. No indication why the fuse blew and I haven't seen him post since it was diagnosed. I suspect a bad /weak fuse, aka a supplier issue.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So apparently the engine is done. "Major internal failure" was the most specific I could get. GM engineering now deciding if they replace the car or the engine. I had 300 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
So apparently the engine is done. "Major internal failure" was the most specific I could get. GM engineering now deciding if they replace the car or the engine. I had 300 miles on it.

:0 wow!

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Wow, truly sorry to hear that.

Please, try and find out more about the root cause failure and post it here, so that we may learn from this misfortune.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts

:0 wow! No 60 amp fuse is going to fix that.
Sorry to hear that you'll be without your ride for awhile.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
[ QUOTE=rmms99;41158]So apparently the engine is done. "Major internal failure" was the most specific I could get. GM engineering now deciding if they replace the car or the engine. I had 300 miles on it.[/QUOTE]

Oh no!!!!! Wow, me personally I would ask for a whole new car, but I suspect that you don't get to weigh in on how it is handled going forward.
Sorry to hear about this happening to you when the car is so new.

Best of luck in getting to an acceptable resolution.

·
Registered
827 Posts
That's awful...Only 300 miles? WOW! When did you take delivery? I would've never made it home from the NCM after taking delivery. I'd be sitting on the side the road somewhere in Indiana. I have to agree with Tom0021 because it would lead me to believe there maybe other issues. It doesn't hurt to ask? New car or complete refund.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
but I suspect that you don't get to weigh in on how it is handled going forward.
correct.......but you can ask for a warranty extension....

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Were there any signs of a problem before the engine failed? Odd noise or smell? Being so new I suspect not, but I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
correct.......but you can ask for a warranty extension....
With 300 miles on it and you probably waited months before you got the car I be asking for a 2015 model as a replacement :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Yep, doesn't look like a fuse.......

That sucks but the Corvette team has a history of handling these situations well. To all who will get off on a tangent, things like this happen to EVERY car manufacturer world wide. It sucks if you are the one to experience it but it's not that uncommon, ask anyone in the business at the corporate level (Glen........ :) )

Best of luck and let us know what they find and how they rectify it.

Reactions: glen e

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
"Fatal catastrophic failure" is part of any vehicle mfr's production run. Things break.

What they do will depend on several factors:
Severity of damage and cost to fix
Avail of engine parts
Avail of cars

But it will be their decision, based on the language of the warranty, which gives them the right to choose the path they go down, not what the customer "demands"....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Interesting there was a sound as though the engine was missing. No warning lights, then just quit. No smells or other warning. I waited two months for it which isn't bad for many of us. I will post updates on process but am not happy about monthly payments/insurance issues if it's going to be a prolonged process. Refund would actually be painful since I got destroyed on my trade in.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Interesting there was a sound as though the engine was missing. No warning lights, then just quit. No smells or other warning. I waited two months for it which isn't bad for many of us. I will post updates on process but am not happy about monthly payments/insurance issues if it's going to be a prolonged process. Refund would actually be painful since I got destroyed on my trade in.
if it is a prolonged situation, they can make the lease/ins payments for you, that's not unheard of at all...they have built those payments into the warranty budget in each region....

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.