Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had read it somewhere.Um Supposely not hard to do.I need to do it cause I'm planning on putting A t-handle on it.I wanted A chrome one from Hurst,but it looks like I would have to change the threads.
Um if you google it I'm fairly certain you'll see the subject.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had read it somewhere.Um Supposely not hard to do.I need to do it cause I'm planning on putting A t-handle on it.I wanted A chrome one from Hurst,but it looks like I would have to change the threads.
Um if you google it I'm fairly certain you'll see the subject.
I searched but only found info about the stick C7, not the Auto.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Oh I'm sorry,yes I was talking about the manual.Sorry I put ya on A wild goose chase.If I had the auto I would practice on the paddles
And probably let it go at that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I'm sorry,yes I was talking about the manual.Sorry I put ya on A wild goose chase.If I had the auto I would practice on the paddles
And probably let it go at that.
Not sure we're on the same page here, all I need to know is how to remove the shift knob on the auto C7.

·
18,670 Posts
I figured it out on my own, not that difficult at all...
What did you figure out that would help someone else with an automatic please?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did you figure out that would help someone else with an automatic please?
Fairly easy actually:
- Put the car in accessory mode and shift from P to N.
- Remove the boot from the console with trim tools.
- Depress the knob's button (like when you go from P to D) and keep it like that.
- Press the brake pedal as you pull up on the knob (you need to pull fairly hard). There's a security lock hence the need to push the brake pedal.

Voila!

·
Registered
75 Posts
OK I'm assuming once you've yanked the gear shift knob up, the boot is still attached to it..then what. If you can get the boot off why take it off the console to begin with?

·
18,670 Posts
The shift boot on a C7 is incredibly well tied into its surrounding frame -- unlike the shift boot on a C6 which one can easily remove from above. The C7's shift boot has a series of downward facing pointed spear clips, and once inserted, very difficult to remove even one from above -- let alone the approximate eight (or more of them). In fact, I had real difficulty removing it even from below, even knowing what needed to be done, when I had the entire console removed from the car when I installed the Apsis console. For all these reasons, suggest not trying to remove the shift boot, but only the shift knob itself as in the following.

I am thinking, and do not have an automatic and an surmising here as to what worked for my manual transmission shift knob removal, that the key to removing your shift knob is rotating the collar of the top of the shift boot clockwise about 1/4 of a turn, then pulling it upward (or maybe the reverse order of these two things), will get you to see the torx headed screw that affixes the factory shift knob to the shift stalk.

Good luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts