Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question should I ever have a dead battery. I've had my automatic '17 C7 coming on 4 years next month. It has low mileage, 12,500 or so, and when it is in the garage I connect the battery tender to it. I've had no starting issues at all but things can change and I'm wondering what I could do if everything went dead when it was parked in my garage.

As you can see in the photos, I park my coupe under a 4-post lift and on top of it is another car. My garage ceiling is only 9.5 feet high so there are only inches above the car on top and only about 13 inches between the C7's deck lid and the lift cross member.

What I would like to know is whether the shifter can be moved out of Park with no power to the car? If it can, then I only have move the selector to Neutral and just roll it out but if not, then I have to do something else. Trying to think ahead. :unsure:

TIA,
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
Which vehicle do you drive the most? Can I assume the bottom?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Which vehicle do you drive the most? Can I assume the bottom?
Actually, I rarely drive either but mostly the C7. In the spring through Fall, the Vette comes out once a week or so, weather depending. The car stored on the top is a '75 Triumph and I drive it at most, 1,000 miles/year. Unfortunately, due to the garage door folding back when it's raised, the C7 cannot be stored on the top. If it did I'd have no issue. :(

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
Got it.
I still have my original battery in my '16, been leaving the Battery Tender Plus on all the time for the past year now. Have 51K miles, battery is probably going to go, when? Who knows, seems to be starting like new, no starter lag.

Maybe you're only piece of mind situation is to just put a new battery in it.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Good to know I'm not the only one
who prepares for the worst while enjoying the present.. I think I would be replacing the battery just in case. I also keep mine on a battery maintainer all the time however when the battery goes it will give you little warning before you start experiencing gremlins in the operation of the car as well as the key fobs. Your smart to prepare because based on your pics if you experience a power failure with the Vette it appears your going to be in a difficult situation unless that Triumph is a Midget and you have a couple of friends that can lower it from the top of the lift ..:oops:

Reactions: tkingjr

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might be right, Norm. Once the weather breaks, I'm gonna see if I can get to the battery through that 13" opening. If I can, then there multiple options a jump starter might be all i need
Got it.
I still have my original battery in my '16, been leaving the Battery Tender Plus on all the time for the past year now. Have 51K miles, battery is probably going to go, when? Who knows, seems to be starting like new, no starter lag.

Maybe you're only piece of mind situation is to just put a new battery in it.
You might be right, Norm. Once the weather breaks (cold in the garage), I'm gonna see if I can get to the battery through that 13" opening. If I can, then there multiple options ranging from using a real charger to just using a jump starter. But if the shift lever moves, that would be great.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good to know I'm not the only one
who prepares for the worst while enjoying the present.. I think I would be replacing the battery just in case. I also keep mine on a battery maintainer all the time however when the battery goes it will give you little warning before you start experiencing gremlins in the operation of the car as well as the key fobs. Your smart to prepare because based on your pics if you experience a power failure with the Vette it appears your going to be in a difficult situation unless that Triumph is a Midget and you have a couple of friends that can lower it from the top of the lift ..:oops:
That would be a challenge, 15snow-ray! The Triumph is up there until it can be lowered. In the end, I just might do a new battery.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
I don't have any experience with this, but you could try it. Get someone to help, run the engine, put it in neutral, turn engine off. With no brakes on, have your helper or two, roll back the car buy using the tires. See if the car rolls freely. If so, you know you can roll it out to replace the battery should it fail.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't have any experience with this, but you could try it. Get someone to help, run the engine, put it in neutral, turn engine off. With no brakes on, have your helper or two, roll back the car buy using the tires. See if the car rolls freely. If so, you know you can roll it out to replace the battery should it fail.
You've given me an idea. I could start it up and drive it out of the garage, put it in Park. Then I could pop the deck lid and pull one battery terminal and see if I can move the shifter to Neutral. Then alternatively, I could park it under the lift and try what you suggest: put it in Neutral and shut down the engine and see if I can roll it back, which I should be able to. Your suggestion is easier. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
Don't put it back in park, leave it in N. Make sure accessories mode off/engine off. Block the tires in case of any movement. Leave the battery tender plugged in at all times. In case there are any nannies running because gear is not in park, the tender should neutralize any nannies draw from battery. My guestimates here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't put it back in park, leave it in N. Make sure accessories mode off/engine off. Block the tires in case of any movement. Leave the battery tender plugged in at all times. In case there are any nannies running because gear is not in park, the tender should neutralize any nannies draw from battery. My guestimates here.
Right. I think that should work. Supposed to warm up here later this week so I'll try it.

·
Registered
9,555 Posts
FYI: I would not try to even attempt to lift that battery out of the compartment with only the 13" gap. You're going to need to stand over top of that space just to move it from the box it sits in, plus pulling back the carpet and disconnecting cables, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FYI: I would not try to even attempt to lift that battery out of the compartment with only the 13" gap. You're going to need to stand over top of that space just to move it from the box it sits in, plus pulling back the carpet and disconnecting cables, etc.
Yes, I think you're right.

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
LBRedC7, I don't believe you will be able to shift out of park once the battery is dead. Also, based on having replaced the battery in RedHot, I think you would find it very difficult to do through the 13 inch opening. Suggest replacing your battery (RedHot gets a battery for her upcoming 4th birthday ) and avoiding the problem.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LBRedC7, I don't believe you will be able to shift out of park once the battery is dead. Also, based on having replaced the battery in RedHot, I think you would find it very difficult to do through the 13 inch opening. Suggest replacing your battery (RedHot gets a battery for her upcoming 4th birthday ) and avoiding the problem.
Jeff, you're right. It needs power to shift out of Park. I have a friend in SC with a C7 and he tried it for me this afternoon. There must be a solenoid in the mechanics somewhere that needs power. And the 13" opening is not gonna work.

Thanks to all you guys for the ideas and discussion.

Gary

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
You can't shift a C7 out of park and to neutral unless you have the electronics energized.

The first thought that came to my mind was, to just proactively change the battery. But, you never know, something else could happen even with a fully-charged battery (random electrical gremlin someday)...

In a real tight bind, the second thing that came to my mind was to jack it up from rear jacking points, put two of these or something like them under the rear wheels (the fronts will turn freely and don't need dollies), and push the car out of the garage by hand (assuming that the area in front of your garage is level enough that the car will not roll away down the hill or something)...

By the way, if you go that route with dollies, make sure that the dollies you get are wide enough for the rear tires (many standard tire dollies are not wide enough for the rears, at least on some of the C7 models).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can't shift a C7 out of park and to neutral unless you have the electronics energized.

Yup, figured that out.

SNIP

In a real tight bind, the second thing that came to my mind was to jack it up from rear jacking points, put two of these or something like them under the rear wheels (the fronts will turn freely and don't need dollies), and push the car out of the garage by hand (assuming that the area in front of your garage is level enough that the car will not roll away down the hill or something)...

Rodney, those dolly's look interesting but I'm pretty sure they won't work. If you look at the photo of my car under the lift, there is only about 2" between the roof and the underside of the lift.

I'm going to try the park the car in neutral when under the lift and in the garage test later this week, when it warms up. I'll report back afterwards.

Gary

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Rodney, those dolly's look interesting but I'm pretty sure they won't work. If you look at the photo of my car under the lift, there is only about 2" between the roof and the underside of the lift.

I'm going to try the park the car in neutral when under the lift and in the garage test later this week, when it warms up. I'll report back afterwards.

Gary
Hum...

If you get dollies that have a built-in jack, and you jack up using the dollies while they are cradling the undersides of the tires, you don't have to subtract any height for compression of the car's suspension system, because it stays compressed the entire time.

I think you could probably do this with less than an inch of clearance. All you need is to get the rear wheels off the ground by a fraction of an inch.

Check this video out:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hum...

If you get dollies that have a built-in jack, and you jack up using the dollies while they are cradling the undersides of the tires, you don't have to subtract any height for compression of the car's suspension system, because it stays compressed the entire time.

I think you could probably do this with less than an inch of clearance. All you need is to get the rear wheels off the ground by a fraction of an inch.

Check this video out:

They are pretty cool but I'm not sure I have the clearance on the right side to get the dolly properly positioned around the tire. Attached photos taken when I borrowed a C7 from the local dealer to see if it would fit under my lift. Clearance on both sides is tight.

IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0412.JPG

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
159 Posts
As already alluded to.... I'd just put a new battery in it for peace of mind if nothing else.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts