Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 321 Posts

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Mike Furman started a thread last April: Vettes and Pets.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
18,667 Posts
We also previously had an all black purebred German Shepherd ("Ebony").

Our current best friend is "Shadow", a Belgian Terveren Shepherd, whom we adopted from our Humane Society. Though a male, and our neighbors have sheep, goats, cattle, horses, llamas, chickens and more, Shadow never wanders off our 13 acres, going in and out our "dog door" as he chooses. 85 pounds, a combination of world class watchdog and love. And what we and he especially like, is that when we go on trips, he eagerly goes to "doggy camp" in our little town -- one of the highest rated dog kennels in the state, where he roams acres of fenced in fields with his buddies. Are we lucky or what....

image.jpeg

·
Registered
337 Posts
My first dog as a child was a German Shepherd named Johnny. While running errands my mother found someone had dumped a litter of puppies by the road and only one survived by climbing the steps of a Baptist church fronting on the road. My mother rescued this survivor and named her "Johnny the Baptist" because of her location, not our religion but through mutual friends the minister found out and was delighted by the name. She was a great watchdog and companion and started my love of the breed although I have had many different dogs over the years.

Johnny inadvertently taught me my first lesson in marketing. A few days before she was scheduled for spaying she escaped and later gave birth to a littler of adorable but not full-bred puppies and my parents took out an advertisement in the newspaper for free cute part-German shepherd puppies. At the end of the week 7 of the original 8 were still with us. The next week they changed the ad to read "cute part-German Shepherd puppies $50" and at the end of the first day they all had new homes. The lesson was a free puppy was of suspect value but a $50 puppy was a good deal :)

Cheyenne is basically a house dog but she has 5 acres and gets plenty of exercise. Her favorite game earned her the nickname "Taunto" because she loves to entice our daughter to chase her and will then drop the ball and snatch it back up just before Anna catches up to her and moves a safe distance away to loudly squeak the ball to taunt Anna :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Here are my two hunting dogs-a Gordon and English Setter
20120910_070234.jpg 118A9219.jpg

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well, since the OP said "or other pet," this is our most recent addition. The story goes: One of our neighbors told us that she is hearing a squeaking sound under her deck and her dog is overly excited and asked if I would investigate while she tended her dog. Apparently a mama cat gave birth to a litter of kittens and somehow this little girl got left behind. Called the local no-kill shelter and they were completely full, and we kind of knew her fate would be sealed if we took her elsewhere. With no other options, we took her to the vet to get checked and learn how to care for a newborn kitten. She has gone from less than 1 pound to over 10 and has fit in with the rest of the kritters nicely, and is a real sweetheart.
20140627_205236.jpg 20151229_233732.jpg

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Show us you pups!

ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1457177539.777727.jpg This is my new buddy. His name is Bentley. A Newfoundland he is currently 16 weeks old and weighs in at 45 pounds. Most likely headed to 150-160 pounds when fully grown. He follows me every where and has turned into my shadow.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Well, since the OP said "or other pet," this is our most recent addition. The story goes: One of our neighbors told us that she is hearing a squeaking sound under her deck and her dog is overly excited and asked if I would investigate while she tended her dog. Apparently a mama cat gave birth to a litter of kittens and somehow this little girl got left behind. Called the local no-kill shelter and they were completely full, and we kind of knew her fate would be sealed if we took her elsewhere. With no other options, we took her to the vet to get checked and learn how to care for a newborn kitten. She has gone from less than 1 pound to over 10 and has fit in with the rest of the kritters nicely, and is a real sweetheart.
Nice story Rick! The Fall our daughter started Kindergarten I also went through the bottle fed kitten experience. One Saturday evening I was preparing to burn a pile of brush in the pasture when I heard a meowing sound and found a tiny kitten in the brush pile that apparently had been abandoned by its mother. The area around its eyes was matted from some infection and although the kitten was active it looked in pretty sad shape. I made a quick trip to Farm and Fleet and bought some replacement milk and a pack of animal antibiotic and fed it with an eye dropper every few hours throughout the night not really expecting the kitten to survive until morning. By Sunday afternoon it was doing well and the eye infection quickly cleared up and she progressed to bottle feeding. Anna was reading The Jungle Book at the time and named the new kitten Jungle Cat. Jungle lived in a room in the second story of the barn for a few weeks while awaiting her second vet check and although I made her a nice little bed she found one of my old shoes and that is where she slept and she still loves shoes even though she no longer can sleep in them. She became a house cat and every morning gets a bath from Cheyenne. Since she was abandoned when she was so young Jungle thinks everyone is her mother :)

Jungle kitten.jpg Jungle cat.jpg

·
Registered
268 Posts
image.jpeg
This was our Daisy, rescue dog from Helen Woodward in Rancho Sante Fe, CA. She was a super calm dog, everyone always commented how "sweet" she was. We never knew for sure but believed she was a mix between Sheltie and Keshound. She made the corporate job transfer to Fort Wayne, but unfortunately we had to put her to rest one year ago after her battle with Cushings disease finally won. We miss her, and have not come to grips to replace her (yet).

Dogs do make the world a better place!

1 - 20 of 321 Posts