Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not about which brand is best. I'm going to assume all brands are quality product. Two questions of choice. Which do you prefer, straight back for better lower body protection or with rockers that flair in towards the back that appear to make it easier and cleaner getting in and out of your car. Secondly, rockers installed with original screws and tape; or rockers installed by drilling and a handful of screws.

What are your thoughts/experience.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Like you I gave this tons of thought. When ordering my car, I noticed that the 2015 model had an option to order it with carbon fiber splitter/rocker skirts, but I didn't want visible carbon fiber going against carbon flash options I had ordered. I wasn't too impressed with the design that GM offered for the amount of money they listed the option for. Plus the factory splitter/rocker skirts were on constraint which would further delay my build.

So with all those things going against my choice to stick with the factory option I started looking aftermarket. Even though I don't have my C7 yet as I just submitted my order a few weeks ago, I wanted to have the kit ready and waiting when the car arrived. With this car, I ordered the car with every option that I would otherwise modify if I hadn't order it in the first place as I want it to look and be as much from the factory as possible (I've heavily modified plenty of my cars in the past), but this would be one of the few option I didn't mind being aftermarket.

To me I wanted it to be an easy install using factory location to attach it without having to modify the car with added holes and what not. I wanted it to be an exact match to the other parts highlighted with carbon flash. I wanted it to look similar to the z06 ground effects as if it would of come from the factory as an option, but I didn't want it too extreme. With all this to consider, I started to look across the internet. I found plenty of options and though many of them are just as well made and priced, they were slowly removed from my list for one reason or another.

In the end I went with Weapon X Motorsports weapon7 splitter/rocker blades. They remind me of a mild version of the Z07 kit in all the right ways. They are fiberglass and painted to match the carbon flash (Carbon Fiber is an option). They were priced VERY reasonable (awesome deal in my eyes). As soon they come in I'm going to have them wrapped in some kind of clear protectant as I will for the car as well. This was also recommended to me from Weapon X Motorsports.

I look forward to getting them installing on the car as soon as my car is delivered, haha. I hope this has helped or just given you options to think about. Good luck on your future purchase.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I went with the ZR7 Stage II Side Skirts from RPI painted carbon flash metallic. They're not body contoured, but straight back and I love them!

They used self-tapping screws. I added 3M tape as insurance.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I know they just started the 2015's last week, but anyone got a 2015 with the Ground Effects Package yet?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I had made my choice to go aftermarket because I did not like the look of the factory option from what I saw. Just ordered my car and will have the skirts shipped to the dealer (MacMulkin) to have installed before they ship my car to me. After looking high and low and considering getting into the car and out (well...not me but my wife who might not be as careful) I decided to go with the Stage 1 skirts from RPI in carbon flash. Best looking flared skirts that I saw....though WeaponX was definitely a close second. I would search for pics then flop back and forth between flared and straight....and for me, flared was the look I wanted.

Note...when talking to RPI they commented that I would need to wait a couple of months before wrapping the skirts. They said you really needed to let the new paint breathe (I think that was the term used) before wrapping. Since I am going to have MacMulkin put XPEL on the car before sending it to me, I am contemplating ordering the skirts early enough to allow time for the paint to cure properly. Just something to think about....

If you are concerned about hitting the skirts getting in and out....it is about a 1 inch difference between the two according to RPI...the safer bet is flared. However, it is a personal decision because both will excellent!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bucket List- Yeah, I agree. It was hard to tell from the pic's on the factory option, but I thought I could remove them if I don't like them. The front splitter kind of looks like everyone else's. The difference is the sides. Not crazy about the factory look of the side, but I will see and post pics... (My wife will never drive my car) :)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Bucket List- Yeah, I agree. It was hard to tell from the pic's on the factory option, but I thought I could remove them if I don't like them. The front splitter kind of looks like everyone else's. The difference is the sides. Not crazy about the factory look of the side, but I will see and post pics... (My wife will never drive my car) :)
Well, while I am sure "da wife time" behind the wheel will be limited, she will be in the co-pilot seat and so I had visions of all kinds of kick marks on the right side skirt (damn glad that she doesn't even know about this site....I think...). I like this thread because I could not get over how much time and thought went into getting my mind set.

For RC Jr, I did not comment about the attachment method in my first response, but I also discussed this with RPI. RPI's side skirt does require some drilling, but personally I would feel that it is more secure than with tape. I think glen e has commented before about the strength of 3M tape in other threads, but drilling holes for this did not dissuade my choice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts