Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago my radio started to act up whenever I tried to turn on Sirius radio. It got worse so I contacted Sirius customer service and they refreshed the radio. That did not solve the problem. It got worse. The favorite channel buttons greyed out and it would display Ch 1 when I tried to turn on Sirius. When I try to change channels it shuts the radio off and then it comes back on tuned to AM. I again called Sirius Customer Service and after numerous refresh attempts they advised taking it to the dealer. The car has less then 8K miles on it. So today I took it to Kerbeck for a diagnosis. Their answer was I need to replace the radio head to the tune of $290 plus labor for a total of $750. They say its a 3 hour job and they have to order the new radio head. I find it absurd that a vehicle with that mileage would have a failure like that. It is out of warranty so I have to foot the bill. Kerbeck said they consulted with GM technical service and that's what they recommend. My question is has anyone else experienced this problem and if anyone knows if there were any TSB's related to this. Kerbeck said they could not find any.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Sorry to read of your Sirius issues. RedHot is a early 2014 and I haven't subscribed to Sirius in a while. I did not have any issue last time Sirius provided a free no obligation time period. I am not aware of any TSB specific to this issue. Perhaps Sirius will share part of the replacement cost in an effort to retain you as a customer.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why would you think that the radio failing and mileage have anything to do with each other? All electronic devices usually have failure modes that correspond to time. They ether pretty quickly or after a long time of usage. Yours is on the early end... It happens. Sorry.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are missing the point of the post. Of course I know that electronic components can and will fail. But, I was trying to find out if this particular failure of the radio had happened to anyone else and was trying to find out how it was dealt with. I had read on other Corvette forums that people had similar trouble with the radio and the problem was attributed to the location of the Sirius antenna. So I thought getting feedback from other people on here might be helpful. As with other parts and components on these cars that have had problems, people come onto this forum to get ideas and hear other peoples solutions. I just wanted to see if there was a common thread with radio problems like this. Maybe a TSB that was issued. That being said I do realize that it could be just a one off occurrence which happens as you say. I'm sure if it happened to you that you would come onto this forum or a similar one to pick the collective brains of people on here. Thats what I thought these forums were for. Not to be chastised for asking a question and receive a very terse answer as sorry those things happen.

·
Registered
998 Posts
I find it absurd that a vehicle with that mileage would have a failure like that.
Maybe that's where rsvette51 got the idea. Just sayin...

·
Registered
644 Posts
No, GM uses this system in millions of vehicles. Yes, sometimes electronics fail, but it's not widespread.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Sorry for your issue. My 2015 has not had this. Just a thought, perhaps you already had this idea, but if bluetooth is still functioning, you could use the Sirius app on your phone and still listen to your favorite channels w/o shelling out $700

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to hear. My 2016 Z51 had the HMMI go out, $900.00. I have a Costco membership, and my Chevy and Ford dealers honor a 15% discount up to $500.00 on parts and service. Most people don’t even know about this great benefit. I don’t really feel the C7 is that reliable, but that’s my opinion, and every repair is expensiv. Just turned 16,000 miles, time will tell. Had my 2001 C5 for 17 yrs, basically trouble free in 45,000 miles, but the guy I sold it to said it needed the harmonic balancer, which I didn’t realize. Headlamp motors were a recurring issue.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
You've been here for 30 posts. I think most of us would disagree with your hypothesis that they C7 is not reliable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem with my 2015 C7. However, I was able to press the greyed out presets buttons with my finger and slide it up until the presets appeared again.

·
Registered
391 Posts
This past December 3rd I reactivated Sirius on our 2014 (after being off since free trial ended)... took one reset, but it's been fine since then.
(This car has had, under warranty, the infamous entertainment screen replacement)
<used for commuting to/from FL/WI... nice to have continuous service during 20 hours of driving>
As to reliability... almost seven years and over 26,000 miles... only the screen issue.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think you are missing the point of the post. Of course I know that electronic components can and will fail. But, I was trying to find out if this particular failure of the radio had happened to anyone else and was trying to find out how it was dealt with. I had read on other Corvette forums that people had similar trouble with the radio and the problem was attributed to the location of the Sirius antenna. So I thought getting feedback from other people on here might be helpful. As with other parts and components on these cars that have had problems, people come onto this forum to get ideas and hear other peoples solutions. I just wanted to see if there was a common thread with radio problems like this. Maybe a TSB that was issued. That being said I do realize that it could be just a one off occurrence which happens as you say. I'm sure if it happened to you that you would come onto this forum or a similar one to pick the collective brains of people on here. Thats what I thought these forums were for. Not to be chastised for asking a question and receive a very terse answer as sorry those things happen.
My screen would go out on my 2015 everytime I would go over a R/R track or over a bump. The unit had to to be replaced. This was 2017 and the dealership knew about this issue and had been replacing the units as they came in under warranty.

·
Registered
2 Posts
About a month ago my radio started to act up whenever I tried to turn on Sirius radio. It got worse so I contacted Sirius customer service and they refreshed the radio. That did not solve the problem. It got worse. The favorite channel buttons greyed out and it would display Ch 1 when I tried to turn on Sirius. When I try to change channels it shuts the radio off and then it comes back on tuned to AM. I again called Sirius Customer Service and after numerous refresh attempts they advised taking it to the dealer. The car has less then 8K miles on it. So today I took it to Kerbeck for a diagnosis. Their answer was I need to replace the radio head to the tune of $290 plus labor for a total of $750. They say its a 3 hour job and they have to order the new radio head. I find it absurd that a vehicle with that mileage would have a failure like that. It is out of warranty so I have to foot the bill. Kerbeck said they consulted with GM technical service and that's what they recommend. My question is has anyone else experienced this problem and if anyone knows if there were any TSB's related to this. Kerbeck said they could not find any.
You might try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. Sometimes power removal will reset electronics.

·
Administrator
15,684 Posts
Welcome to our forum JLS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You might try disconnecting the battery for a couple minutes. Sometimes power removal will reset electronics.
If you do disconnect the battery remember to drian the system by touching + and - cables together for a few min.. If not a lot of strange things like my blower vents started to change all by themselves.

·
Registered
51 Posts
...but if bluetooth is still functioning, you could use the Sirius app on your phone and still listen to your favorite channels w/o shelling out $700
There's your solution, LB1. Pay for Sirius once, install the app on your phone, and enjoy the service in all of your vehicles (or anyone else's
vehicle for that matter)...again, provided Bluetooth is available on the head units.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts