Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone else hear a slight ticking type noise when cruising around town or highway and applying slight throttle inputs... I can hear a slight ticking noise when i increase throttle response but obviously not when I shit stop the gas as the exhaust and engine drown out that noise. Could it be the valves? or is that normal sounds?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can anyone else hear a slight ticking type noise when cruising around town or highway and applying slight throttle inputs... I can hear a slight ticking noise when i increase throttle response but obviously not when I shit stop the gas as the exhaust and engine drown out that noise. Could it be the valves? or is that normal sounds?
I believe it's the direct injectors and it's nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Yes, I hear it also. Was wondering if it had to do with the valves.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Direct injection engines do this. I don't have a StingRay yet, but my wife's Cadillac does this.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Mine started doing this today. I have about 600 miles on it. I only hear it at idle.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
993 Posts
It's the injection pump. The pump in the fuel tank puts out in the neighborhood of 60 psi (typical for most modern cars now). The injection pump kicks that up to 2175 psi! There's some mechanical noise in the process. That's the ticking you hear.

Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Great! thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
It's the injection pump. The pump in the fuel tank puts out in the neighborhood of 60 psi (typical for most modern cars now). The injection pump kicks that up to 2175 psi! There's some mechanical noise in the process. That's the ticking you hear.
Hey Art, how do you know the exact PSI?

Here is another question for you which I have wondered about before. Since the vapors are what ignite instead of the liquid, why don't they heat/evaporate the gas before injecting it? It seems to a layman (me) that this would increase fuel economy. Can you help explain this?

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hey Art, how do you know the exact PSI?

Here is another question for you which I have wondered about before. Since the vapors are what ignite instead of the liquid, why don't they heat/evaporate the gas before injecting it? It seems to a layman (me) that this would increase fuel economy. Can you help explain this?
PSI - google…. Lol. I'd have to get some thermodynamic data for gasoline but there's an issue with the thought. In order to get to ~2000 psi and remain in a gaseous state the temp would need to be really high. No doubt beyond a point where it would auto ignite or decompose. Either would be problematic not to mention needing to run at say 2000 degrees (just a wild guess to make a point). As it is, the vaporization of the fuel in the combustion chamber reduces the temperature of the compressed air (not sure if it's a big factor or not with the 11.5 to 1 CR) thereby reducing the likelihood of detonation due to the higher compression ratio (we won't get into the timing of the injection event..).
Fuel economy, getting the most efficient burn of the least amount of fuel to produce the power output you need. It's not so much about the state of the fuel (gas or liquid) but how it's used. The direct injection gives you a finer control of how much fuel you need based on the other parameters the computer is reading from the engine.
Keep in mind the above is all a thought process for which I have no real data to back up….:p

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Sweet thanks guys.... you help me sleep at night!
Why don't you post a video of the sound as a reference on this thread so people coming along later reading this thread will be able to compare the sound of theirs to yours and know all is okay? Also, if someone does have a problem, but all they know is "funny sounds are okay" then they might not realize that their funny sound is different and not okay. I think archiving the "correct" funny sound will be a service to the forum and all future members reading his thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ya mine has been doing this lately, took it in but tech couldn't hear it... It gets really annoying around 2nd and 3rd gear...my last car had a similar engine. Don't remember it this loud. Kind of weird. ..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmmmmmm......... On one of the other Corvette forums I read something about "1800 mile engine tick". Appears that there may be a suspect lifter issue. Not sure this has anything to do with your issue. Just thought I would let you know.

Peace,

Mj

·
Registered
4,607 Posts

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
Why don't you post a video of the sound as a reference on this thread so people coming along later reading this thread will be able to compare the sound of theirs to yours and know all is okay? Also, if someone does have a problem, but all they know is "funny sounds are okay" then they might not realize that their funny sound is different and not okay. I think archiving the "correct" funny sound will be a service to the forum and all future members reading his thread. Thanks!
Bump post #11. A "normal" video can help people determine if their sound is "normal" direct injection, or something strange that they should go to the service department for.

Would someone please provide the under-hood sound of your StingRay idling normally?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
There is, what is being described as a rattle (not tick) being heard as a result of a blown grease seal on the belt tensioner. I read that several owners have had this issue.

·
Registered
10,558 Posts
There is, what is being described as a rattle (not tick) being heard as a result of a blown grease seal on the belt tensioner. I read that several owners have had this issue.
Is that the same one which is causing a leak on some cars' tensioners?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Is that the same one which is causing a leak on some cars' tensioners?
It is, but the symptom has been corrected. It's not a hydraulic fluid leak as posted, rather it is a blown / failed grease seal. The result is the same, the belt tensioner is replaced.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts