Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered my car from an out of state dealer and had it shipped to my house. I noticed some small flaws in the racing stripe on the roof (see picture.) They don't feel like bubbles and can't be pushed in. Its almost like there was some flecks of dirt on the roof when they installed the vinyl.

I've never owned a GM car before so am not familiar with how apt they are to approve/deny warranty claims. Based on your past experience do you guys think I'll get a hassle having this fixed under the warranty?

CIMG2311.JPG

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
A dealer does not "protect" GM, they get paid whatever they do. If it is indeed dirt under the stripe, you have a case. If it's a rock that scratched it, maybe not...I think you're ok to get it bought....the next question is anyone at the dealer good with vinyl? It's a bit of a skill....

I don't mind paying some money to get my car right. I would try to get the dealer to give me the new stripe on warranty and then take it to a shop I trust to install it for $50.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have two spots with issues in my stripes. I've had one dealer tell me they can't fix it and am waiting on another one to call me back as their body shop people were out of town last week. The museum has sent stripe issues back to the factory but I saw mine too late in the day to get it fixed. Yes, you may be able to get it corrected under warranty. However finding the dealer to do it, as Glen said, could prove more challenging than it is worth. I am considering mine birth marks for now, as no one other than me and my son can see them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Your case is a bit tougher because it wasn't inspected by you at the dealership. That being said, take it to the best Chevy dealer in your area and have them look at it. If it is in fact a flaw in the vinyl or is under the stripe, then its a warranty issue. They'll want the work.

I've had a few come in and when the cover was removed there were paint/clear flaws, or scratches on paint or stripes. As the stripes can't be fixed, they have to be removed and replaced.

It's a lot easier to get done before possesion of the vehicle has happened. If it is in fact a scratch or a rock chip, I'm afraid that you may have to take it up with the transportation company.

Again, the best option is to take to a nearby dealer and have it checked out.

·
Premium Member
4,194 Posts
Hi CE,

Sorry to see you have birthmarks (PoconoG I like that) on your vinyl stripes! Keep us posted on how things go with the dealership. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know! :)

Kelly J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
480 Posts
Thanks Kelly. I was supposed to hear back from a second dealer last week.... Still nothing. Sigh. They both have said not to worry about it because I have plenty of warranty time left.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I had stripes installed by the dealership that I bought my new 2012 Coupe from. I flew in and picked the car up, but didn't notice that there was debris under most pieces of the vinyl. I contacted the dealership and provided photos. The dealership told me they would send me a new stripe set and would pay to have it installed. I had the new set installed at a cost of $800, which included removal of the original stripes. I then sent the paid invoice to the dealership and soon after received a check from them for $800. Hopefully, you will have a similar experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts