Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently live in Oregon, but if I were to ever move back to my home state (California), do I need to specify something in my order to ensure it passes smog?

·
Registered
699 Posts
You can request that California emissions be checked on your order. There should be a sticker under the hood that states the car is approved for California.

MKZDRM

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
As far as I know, once a car has been licensed in any other state, the only way to get a California registration is to do the smog check at a test station.

·
18,670 Posts
Above comment by MKZDRM is totally relevant. Just checked the GM 2014 Order Guide regarding emission requirements. Note that all three categories are 50-state certified. Would still be a good idea to discuss this issue with your dealer when you finalize your order, but knowledgeable dealers are aware of this. Here are the three options codes (all no charge options).

FE9: Emissions, Federal requirements, 50-state certified

YF5: Emissions, California state requirements, 50-state certified

NE1: Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements, 50-state certified

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Above comment by MKZDRM is totally relevant. Just checked the GM 2014 Order Guide regarding emission requirements. Note that all three categories are 50-state certified. Would still be a good idea to discuss this issue with your dealer when you finalize your order, but knowledgeable dealers are aware of this. Here are the three options codes (all no charge options).

FE9: Emissions, Federal requirements, 50-state certified

YF5: Emissions, California state requirements, 50-state certified

NE1: Emissions, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington state requirements, 50-state certified
I am sorry Elegant, but I don't think this will help the original poster. Here is why.

The original poster initially is going to register his car in a state other than California (the original poster lives in Oregon). Once he does that, the only way he can then later register it in California (if he ever moves back here) is to do a smog test first. So, YF5 does not help avoid the smog test in his case; his car might as well be NE1 at that point.

The way YF5 avoids a smog test in California is only if the car is initially registered in California.

Finally, even a temporary registration paper plate from another state (Montana, for example) triggers a smog test (even on YF5 cars) after that car comes into CA. See http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...y-purchase-ca-dmv-registration.html#post26426 Post #1 for an excellent description of the (illogical, yet existing) process.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds like the different emissions options are irrelevant in my case. Regardless of option, I'll have to smog my car if I were to move back. Why the heck would GM offer 3 different options that all accomplish the same thing?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can request that California emissions be checked on your order. There should be a sticker under the hood that states the car is approved for California.

MKZDRM
If all 3 options are "50 state approved", why would anyone bother with it being specifically "approved for California"?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
So it sounds like the different emissions options are irrelevant in my case. Regardless of option, I'll have to smog my car if I were to move back. Why the heck would GM offer 3 different options that all accomplish the same thing?
Get NE1 since you live in Oregon now. That will take care of you now. Don't worry about California now. Cross that bridge in a few years if you ever decide to move back here. By the way, when I first moved to CA several years ago, I brought an out-of-state car with me. It is really not a big deal to get the smog check done. Also, if your car is well-maintained, it is laughable at how easily the car passes (emissions measured from my car were just a small fraction of the allowable levels).

I nave no idea why there are three different option codes. Don't you love government bureaucracy?

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
If all 3 options are "50 state approved", why would anyone bother with it being specifically "approved for California"?
Because if you get YF5 from a CA dealer and immediately register it in CA, you can then avoid the smog check. However, this will not work for you because you plan to first register it in Oregon.

·
Registered
873 Posts

Because California, and the other states for NE1, demand a car that is specifically Certified for their area, not 50 states, even though it makes not a bit of difference to the equipment on the car. It's a state government requirement, specifically for CA, the CARB (California Air Resources Board,) an organization that makes Nazis look kind and gentle.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: stanton

·
Registered
220 Posts
I agree. Since there is no charge for whichever smog cert. I would opt. For the Ca. Smog. It should make things easier when/if you bring it to Ca.

Reactions: MYKZDRM

·
Registered
378 Posts
if the car was purchased outside California, plated and registered outside California, then was registered in California, that is a common occurrence. The law stipulates that "Vehicles manufactured to be sold in the state of California must be manufactured to C.A.R.B. certified mandates." They can not restrict a car not from their state as that would bring up a whole mess of lawsuits within Federal D.O.T. laws.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts