Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was wondering what everyone is using to protect their front bumper for everyday use (or roadtrips). How does everyone feel about the clear bra? I'd hate to remove mine after a few years and see that my paint has aged differently, however rock chips can quickly ruin someone's day.

I've also heard of the spray-on clear bra which is supposed to be seamless, but basically sounds like they're just spraying on a thicker layer of clear coat so rock chips won't actually penetrate down to the paint. Does anyone have experience with this?

Any input on the leather bra would be appreciated too.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I am using expel on the front half of the car, so far so good with about 1000 miles of daily driving in the big rig part of town here in Houston.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I am also getting Xpel put on the front end of my car. I have talked with several owners and seen a few cars with it installed. I will also have the mirrors done and by the door handles. If you look just in front of your rear wheel on the bottom of the car you already have some paint protection in place. Does anyone know if that is Xpel or another product? I am also installing the Chevy splash guards on all 4 wheels..

·
Registered
429 Posts
Xpel on the bumper and lamps. No problems. If you are referring to 3M paint defender as a spray on, I have strong doubts that it would hold up on the bumper. I tried a competitive product on the sill and my foot tore it immediately. Xpel is a proven product and can supposedly be removed without a problem as long as it isn't on forever.

Reactions: Jims-c7

·
Registered
220 Posts
I just receive a quote from XPEL of $895. That is for the typical bra coverage area.

·
Registered
209 Posts
We had the clear bra installed at the museum. It covers the front, a third of the hood, the rocker panels, and in front of the wheel wells. It isn't easy to see unless you are looking directly at the edge of it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hope you guys are getting the insides of the door hand done also. Helps with the fingernail scratches.

Cyber Grey, Born Oct. 29, 2LT, Nav, Auto, Z51 Spoiler.

·
18,670 Posts
Hope you guys are getting the insides of the door hand done also. Helps with the fingernail scratches.
And critical for those who wear rings!

·
Registered
134 Posts
What is the Xpel process? I'm assuming the car needs to be clayed/detailed prior to application. What is the life expectancy of the product? Any concerns with discoloration/yellowing or peeling? I live in NJ and my car will not be an everyday driver. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
18 Posts
Xpel is a clear film applied to cleaned & clayed car. Has "self healing" properties for scratches ect. Comes with 10 yr warranty. If it gets damages, pull it off and put a new piece on. Allows exposure of underlying paint to UV thus if you keep the rest of the car oxidation free there should be now color difference in covered areas. Had mine done front, rocker panels, mirrors and rear panel.
Stingrayless 800 x 600.jpg

Reactions: greggshere

·
Registered
134 Posts
Xpel is a clear film applied to cleaned & clayed car. Has "self healing" properties for scratches ect. Comes with 10 yr warranty. If it gets damages, pull it off and put a new piece on. Allows exposure of underlying paint to UV thus if you keep the rest of the car oxidation free there should be now color difference in covered areas. Had mine done front, rocker panels, mirrors and rear panel.
View attachment 2686
Thanks RichmondC7. I'm assuming your detail regimen is the same on the Xpel as it would be on exposed paint?

Car looks amazing!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I had bumper, front if hood, lights and door inserts all done with XPEL.... Amazing job.... Clear as glass!!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a 3M clear bra on my C6 for 7 years and it was very difficult to remove. Also, paint was slightly different versus unprotected paint so I am reluctant to put on my C7. Does anyone know if the new Xpel material is easier to remove than the old material?

·
Registered
489 Posts
You guys all claying,polishing, and waxing before? I would just be upset if I had swirls under the xpel and no swirls anywhere else

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am using a creamette clear from DuPont refinshers. I used this product on my 2005 GTO and my 2010 a Yellow grand sport. The GTO has 43,000 miles on it and the grand sport 33,000 when I sold it. Not one chip or any signesmofmpaintmremoveablembecause on stones or bugs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am using a creamette clear from DuPont refinshers. I used this product on my 2005 GTO and my 2010 a Yellow grand sport. The GTO has 43,000 miles on it and the grand sport 33,000 when I sold it. Not one chip or any signesmofmpaintmremoveablembecause on stones or bugs.

Sorry about the words running together. Signs of paint removable because of stones or bugs.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts