Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the 1st modification to my new C7, not sexy, but practical... Skid plates. Well, I didn't install them, but my brother-in-law did it in my driveway. I learned about these skid plates after searching this forum for a solution to ruining my new front bumper on my steep driveway. Thank you SSScooter66 and purpleRac3r for your responsiveness and pics (which I still can't figure out how to upload)! What finally sold me was an article I read on Corvetteonline about the easy install and lack of having to make any significant changes to my car. Installing them used mostly factory holes and bolts. Only needed to drill a couple holes that I could've probably done myself. They've been on for a week, are barely noticeable, and the best thing about them is that I don't cringe anymore when I hear that scrape noise not only on my driveway but on speed bumps at work! Here's the link to the discussion I found here...

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/stingray-corvette-accessories/13901-c7-skid-plates.html

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
CaliVetteGirl, a little added insurance for your peace of mind and your C7 masterpiece. What will be your next mod?

SF
Rick

Reactions: CaliVetteGirl

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
CalVetteGirl, I'm glad to have been of help, even if only a little bit. Several forum members have helped me over the time I've been a member, and it's only right to pass it along when I can. Being helpful for fellow members is one big way we all can make this the top forum on the web!

·
Registered
484 Posts
The stage 1 splitter is considerably cheaper why not just install that? 2 of them is still cheaper than the skid plate.

Who looks under there? I can't see under the bumper I don't concern myself with it. You could save a much larger amount of money by not worrying about it.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Who looks under there? I can't see under the bumper I don't concern myself with it. You could save a much larger amount of money by not worrying about it.
I have a similar sentiment.

The other thing to consider is that with these skid plates, because they lower the contact point by around 3/8" (my guess at their thickness from the photos), you'll have ground contact more often with more corresponding load transfer into the front bumper area. It's the increased loads that bother me.

This is the same reason I'm not a fan of the "nose savers". http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...ers-your-vette-will-love-you-3.html#post42539

Reactions: lobsterroboto

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
I can see using the skid plates if someone desired to do so.

However, I am as serious as I can be: I would not install the Granatelli "nose savers" even if someone were to pay me $10,000. Well, I might install them if I were given $10,000 if I could then turn around and take them off, but keep the money. Otherwise, I would say, "No thank you."

Why am I so adamantly opposed to the Granatelli "nose savers"?

In addition to the items Mobius pointed out in the thread linked above, those little wheels are not mounted with the ability to swivel (think of the rear wheels of a shopping cart, not the front wheels). If those wheels touch down, they could either be scraped off (because they refuse to turn in any direction other than straight ahead), or might possibly even cause someone to wreck if they were to touch down on a bad piece of road in a curve if they caused too much weight transfer onto the "straight ahead" little wheels and the driver momentarily lost the ability to steer the car. I wonder if they have ever caused an accident, but people never thought of what had happened and just blamed themselves by saying, "I just lost it in the curve."

Yeah, after thinking about it more, I wouldn't even install them even if I were to get paid $100,000 if I had to leave them on the car and drive it that way. It just isn't worth it to me.

EDIT: Well, okay, I would install them if I were paid $50,000 to do so, if I could then turn around and sell the car for present market value and turn a profit on the whole purchase/sell experience. Of course, I would warn the new owner that it had the "nose savers" on there, and suggest that they remove them.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Yep, those nose savers could snag an animal or tire carcass as well. If that happens at highway speed...

BTW, I expect Boomer will be sending you a PM to finance your final $50,000 nose saver offer (along with a fair price for the attached car) - he's always lusted after Caroline, if I recall correctly (although he could have been referring to the nanny, who goes by the same name).

That "50 large" is pocket change to good 'ol Boomer. :wink:

Reactions: Boomer and rdslon01

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Yep, those nose savers could snag an animal or tire carcass as well. If that happens at highway speed...

BTW, I expect Boomer will be sending you a PM to finance your final $50,000 nose saver offer (along with a fair price for the attached car) - he's always lusted after Caroline, if I recall correctly (although he could have been referring to the nanny, who goes by the same name).

That "50 large" is pocket change to good 'ol Boomer. :wink:
Okay, send the 50 large and the nose savers. I will install them, then offer Caroline for sale at market value as of today, with first dibs given to our good friend, ol' Boomer. :)

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Okay, send the 50 large and the nose savers. I will install them, then offer Caroline for sale at market value as of today, with first dibs given to our good friend, ol' Boomer. :)
He'll be very mad if someone beats him to it. :wink:

And you don't want to see him get mad...

Reactions: rdslon01 and Boomer

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Sounds OK. Fuggedabout the nose savers. Get a handkerchief. Send Mobius the car and the nanny to me. You can pick up the 50G plus the car value at our affiliate in Nigeria, Blackhole Banc Corp. You do drive a tough bargain.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Lol :smile:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The stage 1 splitter is considerably cheaper why not just install that? 2 of them is still cheaper than the skid plate.

I'm a nurse, so for me, it's about preventative care. With my driveway and bumps at work I needed something that would actually protect my front bumper cover. I was scraping the paint off. I couldn't imagine the damage in a year or 2? I'd likely have to replace the bumper cover and don't want to think about what that costs.

I don't really prefer the look of a splitter. My car looks perfect as it :sneakiness: The Protekt skid plates don't change that at all. Also, I've heard the splitters get damaged pretty easy. From the look of ssscooter66'sd photos and my knowledge about the plastic the skid plates are made of, they likely will never need replacing. :eek:nthego::eek:nthego:

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Gotta watch out for the bumps! As a nurse, the nose saver might just be delaying the injury if you keep hitting those spots. No bumps here and have no probs in this area.

Tough to have a driveway where the C7 drags. Did you check that out before you got the car?

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Sounds OK. Fuggedabout the nose savers. Get a handkerchief. Send Mobius the car and the nanny to me. You can pick up the 50G plus the car value at our affiliate in Nigeria, Blackhole Banc Corp. You do drive a tough bargain.
Funny thread comments, but very interesting that that is the same bank I sent my Boomer and Möbius Investment retirement funds check from the other thread, hmmmmmmmmmmm something sounds fishy here. ?

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Funny thread comments, but very interesting that that is the same bank I sent my Boomer and Möbius Investment retirement funds check from the other thread, hmmmmmmmmmmm something sounds fishy here. ��
It isn't fishy. The investment funds you sent are being invested in a set of "nose savers". Just sit back and wait for the return on investment on that one. :D

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
Gotta watch out for the bumps! As a nurse, the nose saver might just be delaying the injury if you keep hitting those spots. No bumps here and have no probs in this area.

Tough to have a driveway where the C7 drags. Did you check that out before you got the car?
Most people probably don't check. Few would go to the extremes I did to check (take extensive measurements of the driveway, a car in stock, write out pages and pages of relevant trigonometric equations, code them up, and run simulations). Most will just buy the car, and see if it fits or not. If it doesn't, then they deal with it later.

"Deal with it later" can sometimes result in modifying the driveway. If the problem isn't too severe and can be addressed in a short-length concave location (many times this is the case), it can be fixed by buying a Bridjit (Google it, or add www dot to the front and dot com to the end). If the problem is more severe, or is convex in nature in a way that cannot be solved by bridging a nearby concave location, then more extensive means can be required.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Most people probably don't check. Few would go to the extremes I did to check (take extensive measurements of the driveway, a car in stock, write out pages and pages of relevant trigonometric equations, code them up, and run simulations). Most will just buy the car, and see if it fits or not. If it doesn't, then they deal with it later.

"Deal with it later" can sometimes result in modifying the driveway. If the problem isn't too severe and can be addressed in a short-length concave location (many times this is the case), it can be fixed by buying a Bridjit (Google it, or add www dot to the front and dot com to the end). If the problem is more severe, or is convex in nature in a way that cannot be solved by bridging a nearby concave location, then more extensive means can be required.

lol that is pretty extreme. Not me I had a paint chip on day 1, the car is sitting in my garage right now covered in race rubber with a hunk of missing fiberglass from the rocker panel (not visible from the side)

I would also venture to say that a large number are hearing the air deflectors scrape and not the bumper and just coming to the conclusion that OMGBBQ MAH CAR SCRAPEZ and going on a crusade to fix an imaginary problem.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts