Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like to check our forum and other vette websites just to see what sort of trends I can find. I am seeing a couple of issues that have had more than a single occurrence. I am throwing them up here so that if anyone here has the same issue we can have it posted in our “issues & resolution” forum. I have spotted a couple of issues that are worrisome.
Base and Z-51 cars are still experiencing problems that require a rear diff replacement. I cannot tell if the cars affected were only those early low VIN cars with low lube or not? From what I’ve read the lack of proper lube level can kill a diff. pretty quickly.

Another issue that I am starting to see is that several owners of manual tranny equipped cars are reporting that their shifter moves hard into neutral as the tranny kicks out of gear. I have not seen follow ups on these reports and will see what happens and follow up here.

Lastly, there seems to be more issues with the infotainment screen going blank. A new owner of a convertible owner has reported issues with his doing this.

·
Registered
187 Posts
There's a recall notice that just came out yesterday for low rear diff fluid. I brought mine in for the infotainment issues again and they told me about it. The differential level was low, but apparently not low enough to do damage...i hope?? So they topped it off.
For the infotainment issue, they are currently working on a permanent solution. The service adviser printed out the notice and gave it to me. My vin is 0286.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I put almost a half a quart of LS dexron in my Z-51 differential to top it off 2 days ago. When the trans is cold (7 speed) I have a hard time getting it go all the way into first. It has jumped out. After it warms up it seems to shift fine. BTW I checked the trans fluid and it was full. Both sight plug, plugs were almost loose...about a foot pound of torque on both.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
...For the infotainment issue, they are currently working on a permanent solution. The service adviser printed out the notice and gave it to me. My vin is 0286.
I understand there is a possibility of a screen replacement in some cars by Feb. Take this with a grain of salt though.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is a link to a site that features some of the items we have talked about here. It includes a guide to trouble shoot the wheel hop issue. It also talks about the torque tube issue.
Search Results 2014 corvette

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just spoke to my local dealer and they mentioned the service announcement. He did inform me they have been checking all rear ends since first delivery and have found absolutely zero with low fluid levels. They are a high volume corvette dealer in NC.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Im taking mine to the dealer tomorrow for first oil change around 1700 miles, will ask if there are any service announcements or if anything that needs to be done

·
Registered
7 Posts
Took mine in for the audio/nav software update and that's when they told me of the rear differential fluid level check. Apparently it was fine. No other issues. Have had 3700 miles of joy so far.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Chip,

I have been a little disappointed with my 7 speed because it seems to be clunky and noisy. At first, I was having trouble with it jumping out of first gear, but as I reached 1000 miles, it stopped. However, I still occassionally get the rough shifting and when I took it to the dealer for the low diff. fluid, (which was low but no problems were noticed) the mechanic told me that it was normal for the gears to feel that way in the new 7 speed tranny. I'm not too convinced about that and I have spoken with other Stingray owners with manual but they haven't experienced the problem. It could be they have over 2000 number vins and mine is in the 700s. I have been contemplating forcing the dealer to service the tranny, but I am waiting to put more miles on it to see if it gets better. I'm only at about 1200 miles right now. I'll keep you updated on my situation and let me know how yours goes.

Also, I've noticed a rectangular shaped object under the vinyl of my dash on the passenger side as if the airbag is pushing up on it a little, but I believe the airbag is on the console part in front of the drivers seat. Has anyone noticed this on their stingray?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I forgot, my nav/radio is fine, but I was told by my dealer that there have issues with them and it is being replaced when the problem occurs with a new system.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well, I have only had mine for a few days, but since I took delivery at BG, I now have over 900 miles on it. I don't want to jinx myself, but so far so good! While at the museum, I got to meet the guy that did the PDI on my car. The first thing I asked him was their adequate fluid in the rear of my car? He said yes, and the museum checks every car that comes over to them. I also have not experienced any issues with my 7 speed. It is working just fine.

The tire chatter that everyone has talked about I did experience. My delivery was scheduled for 7:45 this past Wed. When I arrived at the museum, it was 18 freakin degrees!!! By mid afternoon when we took the car outside, it was still very cold. The chatter became immediately noticeable on slow tight turns. Parking lot maneuver type turns, not normal driving turns. But since I have gotten the car to SW Florida and the temps (70s & 80s) are more indicative for a summer performance tire, no chatter at all. I am convinced this issue is driven by the design and the recommended weather conditions for the operation of the tire.

The only issue that I have experienced, so far is with the NAV system. On my trip south, I was in the mountains headed towards Chattanooga, when my GPS went a little hay wire. It seemed to lose my car location and it could not track my OnStar directions appropriately. I don't know whether the topography of the area I was in made it difficult for the satellites to triangulate my position. But, a few hours later, it somehow found me again and things have been fine ever since. I will have it looked into on it's first trip for service.

That's it so far for my car, serial number 7347.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm at dealer now getting oil change. They did confirm there was bulletin for low rear diff fluid so they're working on that. Have an automatic.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
Hey Rich,

There are many GPS satellites which can be used to lock onto to triangulate your position. It could have been the case that one or more of the ones you were locked onto were at a low angle with the ground, and a mountain obscured your link with it. That could result in your GPS problems, and the NAV can't work unless the GPS is working to know where you are.

Don't worry about it unless it starts happening on a regular basis.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've driven through that area several times with both of my C6's ans Lincoln and neither the GPS or ONSTAR sats lost us.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hey Rich,

There are many GPS satellites which can be used to lock onto to triangulate your position. It could have been the case that one or more of the ones you were locked onto were at a low angle with the ground, and a mountain obscured your link with it. That could result in your GPS problems, and the NAV can't work unless the GPS is working to know where you are.

Don't worry about it unless it starts happening on a regular basis.
Thanks, I will keep an eye on it to see if it is an issue. It also could have been a satellite transmission issue, but who knows. So far, it only happened that one time and everything has been good since.

·
Registered
10,542 Posts
I've driven through that area several times with both of my C6's ans Lincoln and neither the GPS or ONSTAR sats lost us.
And you could drive through there again in the same car and lose it. You don't always connect to the same satellites. Also, the angles are not always the same.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Took mine in for the audio/nav software update and that's when they told me of the rear differential fluid level check. Apparently it was fine. No other issues. Have had 3700 miles of joy so far.
Tsekhar, were there problems with your nav/audio that caused you to seek help? I haven't seen any recalls on my 2 LT with nav

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am finding more of posts like this one which will be problematic to all owners if their infotainment screen requires replacement. I suggest you consider waiting for a replacement until it is determined if a new "spec." screen will be used after Feb.2015. Otherwise you may have to take your car in more than once to fix this problem.The screen replacement requires the dash to be dismantled. Not a pretty sight!
I keep hearing this date (Feb) being used, but as far as I know it is not sourced from within GM, but...

Here is a post on this topic: "If you are one of the unfortunates to have the Info center go dark, or go erratic, Chevy will replace it (4 days in the shop and counting) but they are not guaranteeing that is the fix. They advised me they will replace my unit again sometime in February - April when the shipment of new units made by a different manufacturer comes in. I assume the replacement applies to everyone? If they replace mine with an new and improved one I guess there will be other C7 owners that will want a new one to avoid their existing potentially going dark."

This is what a C-7 looks like with the dash being removed: C-7 TROUBLE.jpg

1 - 20 of 281 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.