Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) Are the tires the same between z51 and base? (Not including size differences)

2) z51 has electronic limited slip differential. Does the base have limited slip just not electronic? Does it make a big difference?

3) Does 1LT have audio-in plug and USB port?

4) $600 for colors brake pads, is that a reasonable cost for paintings such a small part? Looks cool though.

5) Base manual has different gearing from z51 manual - how much slower is it?

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Ioch; I believe the Z-51 tires use a different compound, but that needs to be checked.
#2 The base car uses a standard posi-traction diff. The difference would probably only show up on the road course tracks in the hands of a skilled driver that could use it.
#3 Yes
#4 Depends entirely on whether you want to spend the money for them to come painted, or do it yourself?
#5 Not much, if at all.

·
18,669 Posts
Chip is correct that the Z-51 tires have a different tread compound. In fact their construction mirrors race car tires, with the center section completely different components than the tires shoulders.

While both have a UTQG tire rating of 300, Z-51 tires are only warranted (tread life) for 15,000 miles.

I have a slightly different answer to your second question on the eLSD. The eLSD gather inputs from tire pressure and temp sensors, the engine control module, gear indicator selector, ABS system, and many other sensors (over 20 in total) and differentially adjusts the power to each of the propshafts 86 times every second. Whereas the standard posit race differential uses braking to one propshaft to help you around a severe corner (keep you from spinning out), the eLSD adds the power, in increments of 1%, to each providing more power to the outside one to help drive you around the same corner.

Let's at the same time put all this in perspective: The base $51,000 StingRay, without a single option has much more capability than the average Corvette driver ever uses, and for all who are wanting options/components to "go faster," "turn quicker," etc., the best money every Corvette owner would ever spend, would be to first go to a high performance driving school.

·
Registered
10,411 Posts
Just to chime in on question #5 about the gearing, I would say that although the final drive gear ratios are different for different transmission options, who is really going to have it up to 180+ MPH to know or care? For 99% of us, a StingRay configured in any way is much more car than we will ever use. Just get what you prefer, and I am sure you will be thrilled!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts