Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably the most difficult thread I will ever open on this forum, it's more about the need for me to write this rather than for you to read this. I have owned my C7 since 2017, I remember the day I visited the Bowling Green plant and felt in love with the whole thing. I was born and raised in Italy and I grew up with the dream of a Corvette instead of a Ferrari, pretty unusual for an Italian kid. And now that I own one and love every bit of it, life happens, I have two kids (2 yo and 4 mo) and it's time for me to do what I don't want to do, selling my baby. Only those who have owned a Corvette understand how difficult is the separation, it's not a car that you just go in and trade, at least it's not for me.
I have been browsing Autotrader, KBB, CarsGuru, and so on looking for "something I like", that is also sort of family friendly and could "get me out of a flash flood situation" since I live in Houston. Many times I had to ask colleagues to drive me home, my C7 is my DD, every morign she put a smile on my face, I actually love my commute, again something you do not get if you don't do it on a Vette.
Here I am, asking for advice from those who understand what this is all about.
I have asked myself, what cars do I like? Well the rational me would say, get a Toyota or a Kia or a Honda, get something that doesn't depreciate too much (unlike my other car, Ford Expedition 2019). But every time I try to "build my own" I encounter a mental block.
Ideally I would get something pre-owned for about the same value as my C7 (which is probably around 38k according to KBB). I have also played with the idea of getting something "cheaper" as a commuter and a cheaper toy car (even if I would still look for a Vette, maybe a older generation one).
And what if I chose with the irrational mind? I like the Range Rover Sport very much, I've always wanted one, but even with a CPO or a Carmax extended warranty, it doesn't sound like it's a good decision from a reliability point of view.
I like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, but is it a viable DD?
This is more a stream of consciousness rather than a request for help :) I apologize to those who read the entire thing

·
Registered
610 Posts
You couldn't pay me to own a Jeep Chrysler Dodge product. But I am a sucker for things Italian.. I'd look at an Alfa Stilvio. Yeah, it's probably not reliable, but it's at least fun to drive, and the Quattrofolio version is a hoot... If you have an Alfa dealer on speed dial it would be interesting.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the Quadrifoglio as well, but Stelvio probably won't get me out of a flash flood much more than a Vette :)
I have owned a Jeep GRand Cherokee before, it was sort of a nightmare for recalls.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Albert, if you are looking for a 4 seater, why not look at the Camaro with the Corvette engine? You would still get the feel of the Stingray, but with 4 seats to transport the family. It's a shame that you can't keep your Stingray as a "toy" and purchase a second family oriented vehicle. My kids are now out of the house and I am kind of spoiled with my C4, C7, an Acura TL as my daily driver and a 300 that is my wife's primary vehicle. That limo boat is what we use to cart the family around and she really enjoys the hemi. If I were you, I would prioritize keeping the C7 and buying a second family car as my first option, but a fallback if that is not possible would be the Camaro route. Let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you haven't driven the new Jeep JL Rubicon try it. You maybe very surprised.
I love ours. And for versatility i doubt it can be beat. Used as a DD as well as for playing in the snow,sand and off road. Wife uses it to ferry around 2 grandchildren,grocery shopping etc.
Has it been recalled? Yes once but id be surprised if there is a vehicle mfg today that hasn't. Including our Corvettes.
Try it ,you may be surprised.
Oh and as far as cost on the West Coast expect to pay around 50k for a well equipped one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had a Camaro before my Vette, I love it, it was one of those Hotwheels V8 limited edition, it even had nice value.
I need to mount a Car Seat (which legally I could do on a Vette as well), not really practical on a Camaro.
I will go to test drive the Wrangler for sure.
Any Range Rover Sport CPO owner here?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Just a word of encouragement is life happens and as men being the head of households we do what we need to do and take one for the team and good of the family.
  • I sold my 1977 corvette for the good of the family as it was paid for but really was a piece of crap lol.
  • I sold my 1985 corvette for the good of the family as it was paid for and I did a money grab.
  • I sold my 1995 corvette for the good of the family as it was paid for and I did a money grab.
I say this to say that you will get another, so don't say good bye but say until we meet again! :)

On the other note, this is a classic example of why I think Corvette should be a brand and not a product line. Like Porsche, when you start a family you can move from a 2-seat sports car to the Macan SUV, Cayenne SUV or Panamera 4-dr sedan and create longevity in brand loyalty. So you might want to consider a used one of those. Alfa Romeo I've heard people say that they have quality problems but just do your research.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't know why a Stelvio wouldn't work. It's an AWD SUV... But like I said, you need a dealer or mechanic on speed dial.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You couldn't pay me to own a Jeep Chrysler Dodge product. But I am a sucker for things Italian.. I'd look at an Alfa Stilvio. Yeah, it's probably not reliable, but it's at least fun to drive, and the Quattrofolio version is a hoot... If you have an Alfa dealer on speed dial it would be interesting.
I have to admit that I loved my 2007 Jeep SRT8 which I owned for three years, but I understand your feelings. I too would suggest a look at the Alfa, but due to reliability and depreciation questions, I would suggest a lease. This time of year is great for lease deals. I had a friend who normally drove BMWs and Corvettes who happened into an Alfa dealership, tried out a Stelvio and ended up leasing it. He got the 505 HP one and it sounded great. He said it was a hoot to drive. --Bob

·
Administrator
15,302 Posts
Albert, first thanks for sharing the 'backstory.' We wish you luck with your difficult decision and hope you will continue to be part of our community.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you want a 4-door car with a Corvette engine and lots of Corvette goodies like Brembo brakes, selectable exhaust, and a HUD, buy a Chevy SS. But be prepared to pay up to $40K even though the last one was built in 2017. I bought one for $39K when Chevy was offering 20% off. Three years later it is worth 39 to 40K. I see them listed all the way up to 43. Probably the least depreciation of any American car - and 0-6- in 4.6 seconds. It's even a good track car. One of the companies that offers drives in exotics on tracks uses an SS for giving ride-a-longs. Most people have never seen one. Now, Rick Hendricks will build you a new one - but just for the track...

·
Registered
48 Posts
I feel your pain. Had a 2014 C7. Absolutely loved it and sorely miss it. It starts with my '99 F250 acting up (300K miles) so I went up to a new F350. With a note on the truck and the C7, I was strapped. Then the wife wanted a newer car....grand children friendly...so I traded in the C7. I reasoned that the C8 was coming along and I would revisit Corvette ownership when the truck was paid off.
As for your new vehicle dilemma, I don't see how families / homeowners get along without a truck. I would opt for a crew cab pickup, 4x4. Get you out of a high water situation easily (up to a point), haul your stuff and the family. Dodge, Ford, GM....your choice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do your self a favor and check out the Chevy Volt. $20k will get you a nice low mile car, a most amazing car that get about 100MPG. It runs like an electric rocket (0-60 6.5sec) and will never run out of gas. Plug it in overnight, you probably won't buy gas for a year! It's an electric hybrid that you don't need to plug in, a gas engine takes over when the electrical interface requires it.
Big time rebates from the Feds means the original selling prices was given a tax credit of $7500. Current examples of 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 with miles between 15k and 35k are now selling for $27k-$18k. Remainder of 100k mile powertrain warranty in effect. Because it has a larger battery it was designed to almost never need gas. With an 8 gal tank, most Volt owners rarely put gas in their cars. It's a modern styled Chevy with amazing Technology, and now they are discontinued and seem to be selling cheap, probably because of current low gas prices. So...I wonder what happens to the value of a nice Chevy Volt if gas goes to $5-6 a gallon? At that price, I'd want a car that could run over 400 miles on an overnight charge (a few pennies) and 8 gallons of gas. The Volt is a very, very nice car.

My 27yr old son just bought a used 2017 Chevy Volt with 9k miles, for around 22k. I'm so proud - haha

F1fan -2019 C7 Stingray, Mag Ride, Arctic White, Kalahari interior,

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went
This is probably the most difficult thread I will ever open on this forum, it's more about the need for me to write this rather than for you to read this. I have owned my C7 since 2017, I remember the day I visited the Bowling Green plant and felt in love with the whole thing. I was born and raised in Italy and I grew up with the dream of a Corvette instead of a Ferrari, pretty unusual for an Italian kid. And now that I own one and love every bit of it, life happens, I have two kids (2 yo and 4 mo) and it's time for me to do what I don't want to do, selling my baby. Only those who have owned a Corvette understand how difficult is the separation, it's not a car that you just go in and trade, at least it's not for me.
I have been browsing Autotrader, KBB, CarsGuru, and so on looking for "something I like", that is also sort of family friendly and could "get me out of a flash flood situation" since I live in Houston. Many times I had to ask colleagues to drive me home, my C7 is my DD, every morign she put a smile on my face, I actually love my commute, again something you do not get if you don't do it on a Vette.
Here I am, asking for advice from those who understand what this is all about.
I have asked myself, what cars do I like? Well the rational me would say, get a Toyota or a Kia or a Honda, get something that doesn't depreciate too much (unlike my other car, Ford Expedition 2019). But every time I try to "build my own" I encounter a mental block.
Ideally I would get something pre-owned for about the same value as my C7 (which is probably around 38k according to KBB). I have also played with the idea of getting something "cheaper" as a commuter and a cheaper toy car (even if I would still look for a Vette, maybe a older generation one).
And what if I chose with the irrational mind? I like the Range Rover Sport very much, I've always wanted one, but even with a CPO or a Carmax extended warranty, it doesn't sound like it's a good decision from a reliability point of view.
I like the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, but is it a viable DD?
This is more a stream of consciousness rather than a request for help :) I apologize to those who read the entire thing

·
Registered
35 Posts
I went from my 2014 (which I lost to hurricane Harvey! I’m 60 miles east of Houston); to a Honda CRV. My very first Honda EVER! So far, I’ve been impressed. For the price, quality and especially safety features and safety record, I would tell you to at least look at them. It would make a great little family car. When I got my ‘14, I gave my ‘06 to my daughter, who still drives it to work every day! I WILL get a new Vette soon, a lot of hurdles in the last 3 yrs to jump, but I’m seeing light at the end of the tunnel! I was flooded in Harvey, complete rebuild of my house from floor to ceiling, had been back in for only 6 months when I was once again flooded by Imelda! House is 95% done and then will be sold!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Been there...
When I was young, I bought a brand new 1982 C3. It's not anywhere the kind of car my C7 is but at the time it was cool. My daughter came along. There were hospital bills to pay and baby furniture to get; lots of things more important than my toy. The car had to go.

Later in life, I replaced the C3 with a C4, and three months ago a C7. I wouldn't change a thing. My daughter was way more fun than a car.

BTW: skip the Camaro suggestions. It's a Corvette wanna-be. The back-seat is too small. A car should be honest. If you're going to have a back seat, put a functional seat in there. You'll need room for the kids and their friends.

Hang in there. You'll get another car.

This is probably the most difficult thread I will ever open on this forum. <snip...>

·
Registered
20 Posts
Buy a fairly cheep family car, and keep the C7. That way, leaving the house when you and your wife have a fight (like when you won't help changing diapers) won't be so bad.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts