Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Huffines Auto Group owns nine auto dealerships, of which five suffered hail damage this past Friday. About 3,000 Huffines' vehicles were damaged. The Chevrolet dealership is located in Plano, and note this short quote from AutoNews: "The affected dealerships are in Plano and Lewisville, and all but one had light damage, which is the good news. The bad news is that Huffines Chrysler-Jeep-Dodge-Ram in Plano had moderate damage to a significant number of vehicles.."

Here are some that sustained relatively minor damage.

image.jpeg
Photo thanks to Huffines Auto Group.​

Dear Huffines,

We are very, very sorry about your loses.

Best of luck and using your considerable skill getting through this major setback.

Signed: StingRay Forums Members And Supporters

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Wow, that sucks. Pollen doesn't seem all that bad compared to hail damage. :(

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Couple of years ago they had millions of dollars damage from hail in Reading Pa. My daughter works there and she was off that day but all her co-workers had bad damage to their cars including broken windows.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Bummer, I lost windshield, grill, headlights and damaged hood on my convertible many years ago in OK.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Few yrs back my brother came to KC to play some golf. He had just bought a new Honda and had to park in my driveway for the weekend. As a storm was coming that day they had said some hail would be in this storm. I told him we only get small pea size hail around here. That night we had at least golf ball size hail hit the area. His new Honda ( not even a week old) had over 3,000 in damage. He has not been back to KC sense then. :)

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
One of our SWOCC members is in the paintless dent repair business here in SW Oklahoma. He left this weekend to head to the DFW area to work and could be there as long as 8-12 months with all the damage that was caused by recent storms. Estimated damage in North Texas is around $300,000,000 and we're not even in the prime of severe storm season around here.

Reactions: RCjr and elegant

·
Registered
2020 C8, Elkhart Lake Blue Metallic, 3LT, Z51, MSRC and more
1,033 Posts
We had quarter-sized hail at our house. Roof is shot, a broken outer window panel, fence is pock-marked and some additional damage as well. The hail completed covered the yard. It looked like a snow storm but it was large hail stones. Fortunately our cars are in a garage, so no damage to them. Waiting for an insurance adjuster. We had a bigger hail storm here in 2003. That one did over $25,000 damage to my house.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zymurgy, very sorry to hear that, and your second time. YUK! Hope your insurance adjuster arrives real soon and is generous so you can get back to where you started. Know that the competition for contractors to get your property fixed in a timely manner is going to be tough too.

Glad you cars were safe and sound in your garage!!! Good luck.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
We had quarter-sized hail at our house. Roof is shot, a broken outer window panel, fence is pock-marked and some additional damage as well. The hail completed covered the yard. It looked like a snow storm but it was large hail stones. Fortunately our cars are in a garage, so no damage to them. Waiting for an insurance adjuster. We had a bigger hail storm here in 2003. That one did over $25,000 damage to my house.
Ouch! Sorry to hear this, but glad your cars were all in the garage.

Reactions: Zymurgy

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Couple of years ago they had millions of dollars damage from hail in Reading Pa. My daughter works there and she was off that day but all her co-workers had bad damage to their cars including broken windows.
I live in the Reading area, that was quite the storm. Missed my house by only a few miles. Many peoples cars were totaled even though all the damage was cosmetic albeit did not affect driving ability.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Estimates here are already reaching $300 million.

·
Registered
223 Posts
3,000 VEHICLES DAMAGED? Their insurance company is gonna take a big hit.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Lived here all my life. Seen baseball to pea sized hail. Just part of living here. Had a tornado in 2009 come within 100 yards of my house. No hurricane worries but the hail is ugly. Have replaced a total of 8 roofs since 1988 on my houses.

Still imho the best place to live.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I live in the Reading area, that was quite the storm. Missed my house by only a few miles. Many peoples cars were totaled even though all the damage was cosmetic albeit did not affect driving ability.
A friend of mine went up and bought a Toyota FJ from the BMW dealer real cheap because of the dents. It drives fine and he uses it to go to the mountains so the dents don't bother him.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Lived here all my life. Seen baseball to pea sized hail. Just part of living here. Had a tornado in 2009 come within 100 yards of my house. No hurricane worries but the hail is ugly. Have replaced a total of 8 roofs since 1988 on my houses.

Still imho the best place to live.
Gotta agree with Dave. Only lived in Texas for 61 years so far but you get used to the weather. Hail and tornados are a way of life. Prior to my C7 my Infiniti G35 got $5k damage in a "little" hail storm...... The C7 sleeps in the garage now.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Thank you for your comments and sympathy/empathy. The dealership that I represent and work for, Ray Huffines Chevrolet Plano, suffered some speckling hail damage, a blessing when considering the heavier damage that other dealerships in Plano received. Fortunately, we haven't suffered a loss in Chevrolet sales as all the hail damage is repairable, not requiring any paint repair. Matter of fact, we have been quite busy since last Wednesday, selling quite a few cars and trucks helping us to achieve our monthly sales goal.

If there is any shining light peering out from the dark cloud, NOT ONE Corvette on our lot suffered damage! Almost all of our Corvette inventory is located inside our showroom or under our front awning.

The customers looking for a new Chevrolet are given the option to receive a discount on a vehicle, if they choose not to have it repaired, or they may opt for us to repair the vehicle. If they choose for us to repair, we will provide them with a loan car while the work is being completed.

We will be repairing each of our vehicles and are quite capable of handling the volume of repair work needed. Our body shop and service department technicians average tenure is 17 years. That is a lot of experience behind the curtain which is the backbone to Ray Huffines Chevrolet Plano's success.

For the owners of the tens of thousands vehicles in the DFW area that were damaged by the storm, we are sympathetic to your loss. If we can be of service to you and can help you get your vehicles back to good condition, please don't hesitate to give us a call or stop by.

Thanks again.

- Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
According to the local DFW NEWS outlets, the hail damage in the DFW area from the 2 storms in the last two weeks is over 1 BILLION dollars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I lived in Texas 30 yrs. I never got used to the occasional severe weather. My stock broker out in Rowlett lost the majority of his house earlier this year due to a tornado. Ughhhh.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Just got my damage appraisal today. $32,933.28. No cars were involved, that is just the damage to the house/outdoor personal property.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts