Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that there is a protective coating (I don't recall the name) that can be applied to your vette to protect the color from fading and from acid rain and always give you that shining new look all the time.What is it called and where do you recommend to get it applied and what is the average cost.
Thank you,
Uno

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have heard that there is a protective coating (I don't recall the name) that can be applied to your vette to protect the color from fading and from acid rain and always give you that shining new look all the time.What is it called and where do you recommend to get it applied and what is the average cost.
Thank you,
Uno
Xpel. I have it on my car. You can choose what you want covered.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,689 Posts
There are so many products available to achieve the consummate protection and shine, just about all your major detail product's manufacturers have something for anyone to use. As mentioned, Xpel and 3M protective films are a good start.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,689 Posts
In this case, google is your friend. You're going to have to research vendors in your area that apply such coatings.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your likely referting to 1 or 2 things; Paint Protection Film (PPF) and/or ceramic coatings.

We've had our C7 completely done with PPF (and coated) and our other cars are ceramic coated. They are designed and excel in 2 different areas; PPF (generally around 8mil thick, protective film w/ some self-healing capabilities) is protection from physical impacts and ceramics excel in protecting from environmental contamination and make the car easier to maintain.

Have kept some notes on our experiences with both as well as further info on the advantages of each: PPF or Ceramic Coating

PPF coverage can be full car or just 'high impact areas' like front clip, hood and such and can be relatively expensive ($4k and up for full vehicle); ceramics, although well within the capabilities of a DIY-er if you're willing to invest in some time and equipment to prep the paint, can run anywhere from $500 on the very low end up to around $1500+ if professionally installed (much of that comes comes from the paint correction and prep prior to applying the coating).

Lotsa choices, no singular, universal best strategy but rather find the 'best for you' based upon your wants, needs and budget.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
184 Posts
I had mine Professionally done with Ceramic (HIGH END ceramic! NOT the el cheapo stuff!!!), my wife had her Honda done and a friend had his Boxter done by the same guy. It's Jade Quartz - 9H. FABULOUS stuff!! We're in SW Florida and the spring time pollen is BRUTAL and then we get Love Bugs which are even WORSE! This coating is great, the pollen just blows off when I take it out. And if there are bug splatters - they wipe right off. My car is garaged but Nancy's Honda isn't - preforms the same. Cheap? No, but neither was the car and I wanted it protected.

I would not suggest doing it yourself. A professional will (should) thoroughly clean and claybar and apply the ceramic in a controlled environment for best results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There are different "coatings". You can apply a ceramic coating which has protective and hydrophobic properties (water repelling). A good ceramic product and applied correctly can las a couple of years before it needs to be reapplied. You can also apply PPF (Paint Protection Film) such as XPEL which is a clear protective film that will help guard against chips from small debris kicking up on the road, You should then apply ceramic over the PPF. you should decontaminate and do paint protection first before applying either of these solutions. You will like the results.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thank you,
Uno
ceramic coating

1 - 10 of 10 Posts