Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry! Did not see this. The dual valve will provide evacuation at WOT when it is needed most for either wet or dry sump.

If I don't reply to any questions, just PM me to get my attention, that triggers an email.

We are still doing free installs all. We have a Stingray in with 10k miles on it we are doing the intake valve cleaning on this weekend and will post pictures showing the level of coking at 10k miles to go with the ones with less miles to date we have shown.

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Plus that C7 with 10k has been procharged since 3.5k miles.

That explains why were seeing what we are. The coking is no worse than the one in here with mid 3,000 miles we already documented. Since the ProCharger install, there has been no oil ingestion as the entire PCV system has been defeated and plugged. Stops the oil ingestion, but at the sacrifice of the engine life. You cannot delete/defeat the functions of the PCV system and not have shortened engine life. The PCV system is essential to constantly remove the damaging combustion by-products before they can settle and mix with the engine oil and accumulate in the crankcase. I know this video has been posted several times before, but I ask all to please watch it several times. This is one of the few PCV system training videos available that explain the functions. The damaging compounds that enter the crankcase as blow-by MOST be evacuated and flushed from the crankcase as soon as they enter and are still suspended in a gaseous state. Other wise the water/unburnt fuel/sulfuric acid/abrasive soot and carbon particles, etc. quickly settle into the oil and coat the internal engine parts.

So I will start at what I found:

First, I see the primary evacuation source, the intake manifold vacuum nipple has been just converted to provide signal for the boost gauge. NO evacuation!! And the crankcase foul/dirty side port is capped off! This is alarming to see with a company as well known as ProCharger.....sacrificing engine longevity/life by defeating the PCV system there is no excuse. So, et's follow what they did further:

Above you can see they took the drivers side valve cover cleanside inlet, and the dry-sump tank cleanside inlet and T'd them together into the inlet pipe of the head unit. So what this accomplished is no route for oil to ingest, but no evacuation and flushing. At idle, there is only crankcase pressure building and pushing out the two cleanside inlets (backwards) as there is no place else to go...then when under boost, there will be suction present at this pipe...but no cleanside to bring in filtered fresh air to make up for and to flush the damaging compounds out. This is slightly better than the vented cans we see some installing that have zero suction at any time and zero clean side air entering, but only barely.

Anyone not following this go back and watch the video, and also go to my thread on "proper crankcase evacuation for forced induction".

Now, I will cover the fix and proper way to ensure evacuation and flushing as well as eliminating the oil ingestion that causes the coking and detonation. On to the intake valves:

Below are pictures of the intake valves. Note, the amount of coking is no worse than others at 3-4k miles.....but no oil has been ingested since the installation of the ProCharger system, and this shows that. First picture look closely at the valve stem. I took this pic with the valve open so all can see how the deposits on the valve stem have been pulled into the valve guide and scrapped off every cycle and you can see how this is causing premature wear of the valve guides. (it has been 20-30 years since engines wore out valve guide....since port injection has kept valves deposit free all these years we have put valve guide replacement in the back of our minds as we rarely see it, until direct injection came along and now we see valves with excess play at 20-30k miles on DI engines due to these deposits.

And after. I spent app 20 minutes per cylinder on these to get them as deposit free as possible:

I will add more pics as I reassemble everything and correct the PCV system.

Also, I have tried to share this info with Procharger in the past, but they take the stance that how they do it is perfect and are unwilling to consider the implications over time.

Have not seen the A&A version, but in the past they have also not been willing to look and ECS we had in here (see other thread) had the cleanside inlet tube to the drysump connected to the unfiltered portion of the air box so it was sucking in un-filtered air full of dust/dirt/sand directly into the dry sump tank. I also sent them emails and no reply's so not sure if they corrected that or not. So, to date we have not seen a single centrifugal system that is NOT sacrificing engine longevity for how they deal with the PCV system.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Tracy, it was great meeting you and thank you for all you've done on my car. Im forwarding all info to pc so they can see the info for them selves and go from there. Remember, my C7 was the first car they built so they were still tweaking and Addressing some issues of design after my car left.

Next stop for the car is "The Tuning School" near Tampa!!!

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
The system as a whole is first rate...I like all that is there except the way they do the PCV system.

I am more than willing to share all they need to know to do it correctly if they want. Just have them E-mail me.

Other than that it is a first rate quality system.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
432 Posts
Great Post. When do you think you will have your ideas for the correct connections posted?

I am going to hold off on my Procharger order until they can respond to this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The system as a whole is first rate...I like all that is there except the way they do the PCV system.

I am more than willing to share all they need to know to do it correctly if they want. Just have them E-mail me.

Other than that it is a first rate quality system.

Cheers!!
Hi Tuner Boost- Is this post that shows what I would buy to fix the above issue with a Procharger?

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...acuation-forced-induction-applications-2.html

Thank you!

·
Banned
631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hi Tuner Boost- Is this post that shows what I would buy to fix the above issue with a Procharger?

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...acuation-forced-induction-applications-2.html

Thank you!
Yes, and here is another that goes into it:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...-oil-ingestion-issues-direct-injection-7.html

So far ProCharger is silent on this...so we are not sure they will change it, but it is not difficult to do it correctly with their system as it comes so don't let that hold you back. They make a quality system and aside from that, is great in every way. And as far as were seeing by the systems coming through here, none of them are doing it correctly. ECS draws air (cleanside) from the non-filtered side of the air box, so sand/dust/etc directly into the dry sump tank. I sent them an email explaining what was happening so hopefully they moved it to the filtered side of the air box.

Procharer we covered, and A&A could care less....they won't listen to any suggestions, but all 3 systems are great systems and can easily be corrected.

Anyone needs help, just ask.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thank you!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts