Stingray Corvette Forum banner

Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe Wheel

22K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  amcmac 
#1 · (Edited)
We have all read about the Z coming with an optional "Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe Wheel." Is this it, or is this some strange lighting shadow around a black Z06 wheel's entire rim's edge? The two photographs below are typical of every picture we have seen today of the LB convertible's wheels, that is every picture shows this light-colored edge stripe.

If this is Spectra Gray, it is a very dark gray, almost a charcoal gray, and the difference between it and the black Z06 wheel (light to dark intensity) is small. With its light machined stripe, it eliminates one concern some folks have with black wheels, that they is little provide little visual distinction between the wheel and the tire from beyond 20'.

Is this a black wheel with strange "rim reflection," or is this a Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe Wheel?"

And the black wheels from the NAIAS Z06 Reveal...

Note: Harlan Charles later confirmed that this is the new Z06 Spectra Gray wheel.

See less See more
#3 ·
#6 ·
Well, that explains why it looks like a Z06 convertible!

I know some folks think that a Z06 should be a fixed roof coupe with a naturally aspirated engine and a stick. Period. (I think differently, but who cares what I think?!) But, GM sure has broadened the appeal of the Z06. Manual or auto, your choice. Coupe or convertible, your choice. Three levels of aero/tires et al, your choice! I'd wager a bet this will be the most successful Z06 yet in terms of sales. Many people who flat would not buy a prior Z06 will be standing in line to buy this thing...me included! Somebody in GM marketing has their act together!

#5 ·
New pic: "Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe" wheel. This one's "rim" is clearly different, nothing like the black wheels we have seen.

#7 ·
Confirmed: Spectra Gray wheels are on LB Z06 convertible! Just got a confirming e mail from Harlan, that these are the "Spectra Gray With Machined Stripe" wheels.

#9 ·
Love em both!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

Reactions: Raydor and elegant
#11 ·
I think these wheels are going to be very popular with the Z06 crowd. ;)

Reactions: elegant
#13 ·
When coming up with custom paint designs I was always taught to use black to provide the illusion of making a particular panel disappear. If lower rocker panels are darkened, it customarily causes the side view to appear longer and more slender. My perception equally applies to wheels by eliminating any contrast between the wheel and tire. This has been my primary concern over the black wheels. Therefore, to me the solid black wheels and tires all ran together and seemed like too much.... The machined groove in the Spectra Gray wheels with the machined stripe subtly breaks it up and provides a bit of contrast to it. I'd really like to see a set of these in person. They might end up representing a nice alternative.....

#14 ·
"tmcternan," my hope exactly. As we all know, however, it is the execution of that idea that we need to see up close and personal, to determine it is works when standing next to the SG wheel, and to a car with those wheels on it. My wife, Corvette lover, and artist-painter, is asking whether on a brightly-colored car, such as our plan for a VY, we are introducing too many variables and sharp contrasts in a small area, e.g. black tires, bright aluminum stripe, dark/dark gray wheels surrounded by "bright sunglass yellow." She usually is spot on with her color perspectives, so we will have to see in person next week.

On the other hand, she thinks the Spectra Gray wheels will go really well with most colors including: NRB, black, white, TSG, LB, silver, TR, and CRM.

#15 ·
Your wife is "right-on" with respect to too many colors and distraction. A C7Z with a lot of black accents especially if one chooses to have the Stage II black aero and black stinger hood added can be a difficult wheel choice. Your primary colors become the black accents and the ext. car color and adding a third wheel color becomes distractive.
Many like the blacked out "wheels" with the tire and rim featuring an all-in-one blacked out look. With the mentioned car and black accents this will look outstanding. A different color wheel however can clash badly and look out of place. The SG wheel may be just dark enough based on the pictures I have seen of the vert. to work ok and provide the separation of tire/wheel someone is looking to achieve. I would not however advise a silver/chrome wheel look for the mentioned car.

If one is to go with the silver/chrome wheel look the minimizing the black additions on the C7Z will be necessary.
Here is a good example of an appropriate wheel unity of tire and rim with the black additions......vision this with the black aero and black stinger hood.

View attachment 6314

#16 ·
"BOBSZ06," you are so accurate, for a Velocity Yellow Z06 already has lots of extremely yellow to black contrasts in lots of places, so might end up with black wheels by elimination, though, as we have discussed, have to see the Spectra Gray in person first.

Another option for a VY Z06 (stage 2) with black wheels (other than aftermarket which I am considering) would be the following, but I am still having reservations about this approach. Would love polite feedback, but by that I mean if you do not like it, don't not be so tactful that I do not get your candid thoughts.

#17 ·
elegant,
If you really, really like Yellow then the above Z photo with the yellow lipped wheels is fine and lessens the darkness of the wheel. Chrome would work well since there is really only the one color yellow and would really brighten the car and give that "sports car" look.

However, if that's just a little too much yellow then add the black vents and no yellow lipped wheels....ie see your avatar. To me that is the one if your statement is tough, race, fast, hot car type expressions you are seeking.

I like the black vents and contrast with some colors especially the yellow, red and white. The vents seem to really blend nicely with the TSG and lighter wheels like the Pearl/Nickel, or SG.
All depends upon what type of look you are seeking then go in that direction. I had a `01 Torch Red with chrome wheels and it was very sports car (ie bright) looking.

#18 ·
John,

Would you consider renting your wife out for color consulting? Personally, I'm really seriously considering the new SG wheels as a reasonable alternative. The solid gloss black might work fine with the black accents, but somehow get lost with the tire being black as well. But then, the black appeared okay in the picture Bob provided, however the lighting in the picture provided sufficient contrast between the wheel, tire and exterior of the car. I personally feel like the SG wheel with the machined ring will break things up just enough to be able to differentiate between the wheel, tire and exterior, particularly in VY. As far as our choice of VY...... I had an older, and what I mean by older is.... He's in his seventies now..... He recently took delivery on an Arctic White 2014 Stingray, which according to my wife appears "very elegant." However, when he heard I was going to be picking up a 2015 Z06, the old guy pulled me to the side and said, "YOU'VE GOT TO ORDER IT IN VELOCITY YELLOW." I asked him why? And his reply was, "The Z06 is an aggressive in your face kind of car, and the VY matches the attitude of the car perfectly..... Now, I know there might be many that may disagree with this, so please don't take it out on me...... But, I kinda agree with the old guy...

#20 · (Edited)
More Spectra Gray pictures, thanks to "Soho" going to NYAS yesterday. Interestingly, a couple show the wheels as a dark-gray, as opposed to all previous pictures showing it as a "black/dark-dark-charcoal gray." Now, for the first time, I see why GM calls them Spectra Gray (as opposed to Spectra Black). Thanks Soho!

#21 ·
That's a great looking wheel! Is that what you are going with?

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

#23 ·
It is the same exact Laguna Blue, and mimics the StingRay blue depending whether it is in direct sunlight, partial light, occluded light, etc. Lagunablue, on this forum, calls it his "favorite chameleon color."

#24 ·
"Soho," who took the pictures in post # 20, responded to a question I asked him, saying that if, on a light to dark scale, the exterior color Cyber Gray is a 7, and black StingRay and Z06 wheels are a 10, that the Spectra Gray wheels are about an 8.5.

He added, "They seemed to have almost a metallic flake similar to the black pieces on the car," and, that his wife thought they look like "expensive options."

Thanks Soho!!!

#25 ·
Loving this, more Spectra Gray pictures for those of us seriously considering them. Thanks to Jim Miller for these pics.

Seeing the "metallic flakes" that Soho referred to.

#26 ·
Loving this, more Spectra Gray pictures for those of us seriously considering them. Thanks to Jim Miller for these pics.

Seeing the "metallic flakes" that Soho referred to.
If the Stingray for 2015 does not have the Gray wheel offered I may try to get a set of Z06 wheels to put on it. Love the Non-Black wheels..

#29 ·
I think someone in GM is into my brain. I have a CG CF all over exterior w/blk wheels and I am interested in having the rims painted on the edge as per the spectra idea with medium grey. Now I know I will do it as it is really a good look especially with the completely dark exterior with only the wheel nuts and center caps to offset the image. Some body has been feeding my ideas to GM. Who was it? haha!! Now I know for sure I will be doing it. Way to go G & thanks for not making my idea crazy....

#30 ·
Went to the Bash primarily to share the 2015 StingRay changes and the Z06. Also went to personally decide whether Spectra Gray with Machined Stripe Wheels (which we now know are production option code "Q6J"), would go well with Velocity Yellow. Was concerned because, just a personal opinion, we never thought Competition Gray wheels were dark enough to work well with VY. While GM did not bring that wheel to the Bash (a disappointment), separately talked with many different GM staff during the event about our previous concern. All said, in regard to this specific compatibility, "yes!"

Specifically, Harlan Charles confirmed that strictly on a light-to-dark scale, from "lighter to darker" would go: Shark Gray, Competition Gray wheels, Cyber Gray, Spectra Gray wheels, and lastly, black. He specifically noted that the Spectra Gray has enough flecks in it, that it would especially work very nicely with, and compliment/mesh with the close-by visible carbon fiber rocker extensions/side aero splitters we intend to have. After I shared our personal feeling that we would prefer a "visual break" between black wheels and black tires,our other (pre-Bash) consideration, he said that the machined stripe would work excellently in that regard. Ryan Vaughan, Interior Design Manager, was very enthusiastic about our intended VY/Spectra Gray intention, saying it would especially working well with our chosen "dark gray" Z06 interior. With three other GM staff independently confirming that they too liked our proposed combination, "decision enthusiastically made."

Sorry about all this detail, but know that at least a couple of other forum members on this forum are considering this same combination.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.