Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While reading about these modes, i wasn't sure as to any difference in the performance settings in regards to engine torque etc. My wifes bmw has a toggle switch that takes you from comfort setting /to sport / to econo. With differences in the cars performance etc. Is that the same as the c7's system with an automatic trani ? Does the torque in the sport mode start you out in a lower gear?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't understand what you are trying to find. There should not be any torque difference no matter what mode you are in. Each gear is a fixed ratio.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I believe the only change is in throttle response and traction control, not gear selection, when changing driving modes. See page 9-40 in the owners manual (available online if you don't have your vette yet.)

·
Administrator
16,587 Posts
While reading about these modes, i wasn't sure as to any difference in the performance settings in regards to engine torque etc. My wifes bmw has a toggle switch that takes you from comfort setting /to sport / to econo. With differences in the cars performance etc. Is that the same as the c7's system with an automatic trani ? Does the torque in the sport mode start you out in a lower gear?

Here is a table explaining the up to 12 components impacted by the Driver Mode you select: What you will easily experience with the automatic as you shift through the Modes is an increase in the effort level required for steering, quicken throttle response and more apparent/intentional gear shifts, a change in the exhaust tone/volume if you have it set to synch.
:cool:
Driver Mode.jpg

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Your wife's BMW works the same as the chev...it alters the throttle, trans and steering. The software may be diff with BMW and they alter at diff points but the concept is the same. Chev goes a step further and adds weather and track programs.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
So to be clear on the launch control only works in Track mode?

·
Registered
378 Posts
my auto shifts differently in eco, touring, sport, and track. It seems as if the torque converter clutch engages at different points, and the shift points are definitely different as well. The throttle response in any mode leaves something to to be desired.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
There's also the continuously variable valve timing (CVVT) system of the LT1.

"In the 2014 Corvette, the LT1 engine is a pushrod engine like its LS predecessors, but it has a cam phaser mounted on the front of the cam that can advance/retard cam timing up to 62 degrees! The LT1 cam is a conventional one-piece design so only valve timing changes when the phaser is doing its thing. Valve duration, overlap and lift all remain the same." The Inner Workings of Variable Valve Timing - Engine Builder Magazine

So, is the CVVT system enforcing different valve timing between ECO and Sport/Track modes?

**shrug** I don't know, but it would make sense if it were, in order to maximize economy in one case and performance in another.

Reactions: akpancake

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When you place my wifes car in sport mode while moving, you are treated to a instant (down shift)and much greater thrust and throttle response available. My assumption
is the vette works the same way, or what would be the point of having these different modes

1 - 9 of 9 Posts