Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009_corvette_zr1_0.jpg

Spy shots suggest that GM is working on a spicier C7 Corvette, but is it a new ZR1 or an improved Z06? Patrick Rall reports from TorqueNews.com in this story titled Is GM Working on a Corvette ZR1 or a Better Z06?

Some spy shots have hit the internet showing a C7 Chevrolet Corvette wearing the familiar clothing of a company test mule, creating the discussion over whether this mysterious Corvette is the long-rumored next generation ZR1 or if we the photographer caught a glimpse of the new-and-improved Z06.

Since before the C7 Corvette ever saw the light of day, there has been speculation as to how General Motors would be able to out-do the C6 Corvette. The combination of the C6 Corvette Z06 with the 505hp LS7 engine and the C6 Corvette ZR1 with the 638hp LS9 made for one of the meanest pairings of American performance cars ever. The C6 ZR1 was billed as the ultimate Corvette and with stunning lap times on tracks around the world – the ZR1 was unquestionably one of the greatest road-going performance cars of all time.

The “problem” with the C6 Corvette ZR1 was that with the arrival of the C7 Corvette (GM trademarked Corvette ZR1 again), GM would have to create a new super-Vette that would take down the previous ZR1. The arrival of the C7 Corvette Z06 seemed to be the answer to that problem, with a new supercharged LT4 laying down an awesome 650 horsepower and a combined suspension and braking package that made the newest top of the line Corvette a real beast.

Unfortunately, shortly after the new Corvette Z06 hit the street, owners noticed the loss of power when the engine gets hot, which has proven to have a major impact on performance when making laps on a road course. That caused many owners to question whether the C7 Z06 was really a proper replacement for the C6 ZR1 – and that brings us to the discussion of a C7 Corvette ZR1.

Even with the awesome C7 Z06 on the market, GM fans have been clamoring for a new, higher performance Corvette that doesn’t have the overheating woes of the Z06 while others demand a car that will simply overpower the Hellcat Hemi from Dodge. Essentially, Corvette fans want a car that will beat pretty much anything on the street or on the road course, and new spy shots show that GM might be working on just such a car.

The Mystery C7 Corvette
In the last 24 hours, a collection of spy shots (which we do not have permission to post, but you can check them out at Autoblog) turned up online showing what is obviously a C7 Corvette test mule. It has the baggy black cladding around the entire front end of the car ahead of the windshield and it has the swirly black-and-white vinyl covering the rear fascia. It has a silver back end, a red roof, red mirrors, flat grey doors and – most curiously – what appears to be standard Stingray wheels. It also has blue brake calipers under those black split-spoke wheels, similar to the C6 ZR1.

The most significant aspect of these spy shots is the masking over the front end of the mystery Corvette, as it appears as though the hood is bulging and there is most definitely at least one extra cooling duct in the corner of the front bumper.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
It's curios why GM would spend so much money on a new front engine ZR1 with the eminent release ME?

·
Registered
10,412 Posts
It's curios why GM would spend so much money on a new front engine ZR1 with the eminent release ME?
If the main point is new engine development, then this might be viewed as getting a small number of people to pay to be able to be beta testers. Also, if things go well, it could work out so that all involved parties get what they need and/or want.

·
18,669 Posts
Let us not assume that it will be a ZR1. It could be, but many feel that it is going to a be track oriented Z06X (and be based on the current Z06).

Let us also not assume that GM is giving up on front engined Corvettes, that there will not be a new generation front engined C8 or C9. Along side the front engined version there will additionally be a mid engined C8 or C9.

Let's just say that the Corvette's future is going to be great, and it will encompass many different versions. What we do not definitely know, though we have lots of clues, is the exact timing of each of these models.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Excuse me, I have not been following too closely.

Exactly why can't GM increase the cooling capacity of the Z06? I know there is an optional 600 watt fan. No higher capacity radiators possible?

·
18,669 Posts
Excuse me, I have not been following too closely.

Exactly why can't GM increase the cooling capacity of the Z06? I know there is an optional 600 watt fan. No higher capacity radiators possible?
Exactly what GM has done for the 2017 with the manual trans Z06's.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
What we do not definitely know, though we have lots of clues, is the exact timing of each of these models.
I'll be patient and a "spicier C7" won't be enough for me to spring. I'll hold out for the next generation C8. I have trouble even imagining the level of advancement over the C7 but I'm sure it will be there. It will be the same rage as when the C7 debuted.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I agree with John. Aboslutely everything being tossed about as to the next Corvette and its eminent arrival is purely speculation, primarily by the various magazines to generate sales. The only things that appear certain are that there are two, possibly three, C7-based variants under development, one which appears to be a mid-engine. The only other certainty is Corvette's near future will be very exciting!

Reactions: elegant
1 - 8 of 8 Posts