Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have a 2014 C7 Z 51 and noticed that once I took it to the dealer to have the rear differential fluid checked when I got it back now the vehicle squeaks in and out of fourth gear at first I thought it was the taillight plastic rubbing but then I was able to easily duplicated by putting it in the fourth gear and then bring it out of fourth gear and hearing a squeak has anybody else have this board perhaps knows what this is

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I bet that is where the squeak is coming from, but it does seem odd that you did not hear it before. What RPM range do you hear it mostly and is it only 4th gear?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thought it was my tail light squeaking but was able to duplicate it at multiple rpms but going into 4th letting off clutch and then pulling out of 4th into neutral with clutch. For sure it's coming from rear of car.

I'm in sport mode could try another mode and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like I can make that happen in fourth and fifth gear possibly six but I'm just trying the neighborhood and it only seems to happen when im in sport or track mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I have read that others are having squeaks coming from the back of their car and discovered that the valves in their performance exhaust were the culprit. Some reported that a squirt of WD-40 fixed the problem. I would not think that WD-40 is the right lubricant to use for a long term fix.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm having that exact same squeak. I was telling my girlfriend to listen when it goes into 4th. She said she heard it, too, so I know I'm not crazy. I also have the performance exhaust.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
It sounds like a cover plate or heat shield is making contact with the shift mechanism at the trans. I wish there was a parts blowup available to see what might be interfering. Perhaps they pushed on a heat shield when they were getting to the plugs for the diff.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It sounds like a cover plate or heat shield is making contact with the shift mechanism at the trans. I wish there was a parts blowup available to see what might be interfering. Perhaps they pushed on a heat shield when they were getting to the plugs for the diff.
Mark; Can you hear it with the engine off, and just going through the gears? Do you feel a tick in the shifter that coincides with the noise?

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Mark; Can you hear it with the engine off, and just going through the gears? Do you feel a tick in the shifter that coincides with the noise?
Ryan is having the issue, not me. I wish I had a C7 to have the issue :)

·
Registered
4,656 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No. Can actually hear the sound changing the know in the driving dial. I'm sure it's exhaust now, not sure if I'm going to take it in or find a way to grease myself.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Let us know what you use and what works. As I said before I believe it will take more than WD-40 to make for a lasting fix. I expect some sort of high temp lube is the key. How easy is it to get to the valves / linkage?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anyone heard of a fix, I haven't taken mine into the dealer yet until I feel there is more a handle from others on the issue, but I'm not seeing a lot about it at all

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Ryan; I have not heard that anyone has taken their car back to the dealer for the issue. Most people that have commented on it said they were going to try to find a spray lube that would remedy the problem. I don't recall that anyone followed up and reported that the lube worked though. How bad is the noise on a 1-10 scale?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in a small town so there's a lot of shifting so it's about a seven on a that's annoying scale. Leaving it in tour mode and I don't have to deal with the issue but exhaust doesn't sound as good.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ended up having wife sit in the vette while running and switch from sport to tour, the squeak was from the value at the end of the exhaust, used WD40, while not the best solution hasn't squeaked in weeks.

2014 C7 Coupe, Z51, 2LT, NPP, 7 Speed, Arctic White/Red

1 - 20 of 31 Posts