Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes have been squealing occasionally, so I made appointment and the dealer is going to put new pads on. Oh yeah, after 5k miles my car is still AWESOME! Just so you know...

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Tim, my brakes squeal a small amount when I back out of my driveway in the morning going to work, after that I don't hear nothing the rest of the day this is normal. Are your brakes squealing during normal driving?

SF
Rick

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only when pulling up to a light etc. Maybe 20% of the time. However, there is bulletin for this issue. Some require lubrication and some will require pads to be replaced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have had my 2014 stingray in twice for the brakes squealing. Mine also does it occasionally and most of the time at slower speeds at stop lights. It is so embarrassing for such an expensive car to be making those noises. I have been told by the dealer and by the manufacturer that this is normal for high performance car. That is so ridiculous! This is my third Corvette and I've had a number of Camaros and they are all high performance and have never made this noise. You have this issue you need to go to your dealer and have them open up a case number. Apparently if they get enough of these case numbers they will look into it but as of now they are saying it is normal. Also don't bother letting them put new pads on it. The squealing will come right back after a few miles like mine did.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Most of the time, pushing really hard on the brakes during something like 10 miles will stop the squealing for many days.

I don't know what GM have put on the Stingray for Europe but the pads don't make a lot of dust and don't squeal.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My brakes started to squeal around the 8500mi mark with the same issue/symptoms many are having. Took the car in and they replaced the pads and lubed per PI1258. They still squeal from time-to-time but not quite as much. Will eventually go with the Carbotech pads, fingers crossed it'll put the issues to bed for good...

Boomah

·
Registered
450 Posts
I went with Carbotechs and am so happy I did, no squeal, very little dust, and an easy install!

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
When I look at my 6 piston front brakes and experience the great pedal feel and massive stopping power, I don't feel even the slightest bit embarrassed when they squeal. But, that's just me.

Porsche brakes squeal & they are considered by people "in the know" to have world-class brakes. Most of their cars run over $100K.

I feel in good company when my Z's brakes squeal!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Most squeals are from the pads vibrating in their containment structure In the caliper unit. They will squeal with light pressure on the brake peddle. With most new cars a squeal is usually solved with brake lube on the tabs of the pads. Other pads may have a stainless steel shim between the caliper piston and the pads to allow for movement without vibration. A Different type of pad or lubrication may work.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,435 Posts
My brakes have been squealing occasionally, so I made appointment and the dealer is going to put new pads on. Oh yeah, after 5k miles my car is still AWESOME! Just so you know...
For what it's worth. My Z51 squealed very loudly on slow stops within the first few months of getting the car. I bedded them with about 5 hard stops from 60 to 20 mph, it stopped. Squealed again about a month later so repeated the 60 to 20 mph hard stops and it did not come back.
After 1 year had enough of the Z51 pad dust so put on a set of Carbotech 1521's. Bedded them as soon as I put them on using their recommended procedure for 1521's, never heard a peep, they are very quite. More important they have 80% less brake dust! Not having to clean the wheels after two trips into town, ~ 60 miles in total. After 6 months of use, I believe they stop even better when cold than the OEM pads and they have a very linear feel. If you're not tracking they are great. Even if you are tracking you can get a set of their racing pads for tracking and switch to the 1521's for normal driving-they claim the materiel left on the rotors is compatible with both.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
For what it's worth. My Z51 squealed very loudly on slow stops within the first few months of getting the car. I bedded them with about 5 hard stops from 60 to 20 mph, it stopped. Squealed again about a month later so repeated the 60 to 20 mph hard stops and it did not come back.
After 1 year had enough of the Z51 pad dust so put on a set of Carbotech 1521's. Bedded them as soon as I put them on using their recommended procedure for 1521's, never heard a peep, they are very quite. More important they have 80% less brake dust! Not having to clean the wheels after two trips into town, ~ 60 miles in total. After 6 months of use, I believe they stop even better when cold than the OEM pads and they have a very linear feel. If you're not tracking they are great. Even if you are tracking you can get a set of their racing pads for tracking and switch to the 1521's for normal driving-they claim the materiel left on the rotors is compatible with both.
This is true all Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
My brakes started to squeal around the 8500mi mark with the same issue/symptoms many are having. Took the car in and they replaced the pads and lubed per PI1258. They still squeal from time-to-time but not quite as much. Will eventually go with the Carbotech pads, fingers crossed it'll put the issues to bed for good...

Boomah
1521 will put your issue to bed for sure. Give me a call when your ready or go direct to our website and type in 2014 corvette they will come write up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts