Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the pleasure of talking with Mike Bailey, Corvette Chassis Engineer about the relative ride quality for the three different Z06 stages. Later talked with another Corvette team leader and Engineer, Mike Minnich. Here what they both independently said, both giving me the same assessment.

Stage 1 and 2 will ride very, very similarly. With its MSRC, it will make a fine long distance traveler. However, no surprise, the Z07 is a much, much, much tauter ride. It rides significantly firmer than even the first year C6 Z06's, and they all volunteered that it will be a great track weapon, though not so great for those of us who like to take long drives in our Corvettes.

I confirmed info we first heard in January, but recently was not supported, that it is not just the state 3's difference in ride quality due to its use of cup tires, not just the different MSRC calibrations for a stage 3 Z, but that the Z07 has much firmer suspension bushings and springs.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Yes, quite valuable information John. And I'm on board with you Bob, regarding the stage-2 set up. We'll be able to maximize the aero qualities of the stage-2 without sacrificing ride quality for longer trips. Not sure where I'll go yet, but just in case......

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With the Z07 coming with not only coming with the Michelin Cup 2 tires, but also bigger sway bars, more firmly calibrated MSRC system, much, much stiffer suspension bushings, not surprised that Chief Designer Kirk Bennion said he would not want to go on an eight hour ride in a Z07.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Here is a conversation with Harlan Charles re the C7 Z06.
>>>>> 3:45 about Z07 package and tweaks>>>>>5:20....

Harlan doesn't seem to provide any detail about the suspension differences other than to say the MRC will be tweaked slightly firmer in some instances.
And does not say anything about the bushings or torsion bars, etc.
Would have been nice to have heard more about this area of the Z07 package.... (that many seem very interested in adding...for whatever reason).
Hopefully that information will be forthcoming in future interviews beyond what "Elegant" has provided already.

Seems as though the quote by Kirk Bennion was more about the aero effects of driving the Z07 vs Z06 and lack of gas mileage vs the Z06 due to the increased downforce of the Z07 package:

http://www.autofocus.ca/auto-shows/...6-designer-kirk-bennion-form-follows-function

With all those pieces on there, you can drive it around at, say, 60 mph [100 km/h] and see some reduction in your fuel efficiency, but you definitely wouldn’t want to go highway speeds or on an eight-hour trip with the Z07. But those pieces are made to be interchangeable by the customer or by the dealer. In fact we’re probably the first car to do an adjustable rear spoiler that a customer can tune to his liking.”

I would have thought that the presenters would have included information in the slides on the Z07 option about the larger torsion bar, heavier bushings, MRC differences, but I don't see that here:
http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/2015-corvette-z06/4161-3-different-appearance-packages.html

·
Registered
817 Posts
The ride quality of the Z07 is a HUGE open issue for me. Comments attributed to Kirk Bennion indicates Z07 is harsher than the 2006 Z06 but comments attributed to Harlan Charles indicates that might not be the case. If the Z07 ride quality is "streetable" or easily changed to become so, I'm in. If I found the Z07 ride quality too rough, and a simple change of say the springs would make it reasonably close to a non-Z07 that would be fine in my mind. Any ideas on how to get an informed clarification on this?

·
Registered
718 Posts
The ride quality of the Z07 is a HUGE open issue for me. Comments attributed to Kirk Bennion indicates Z07 is harsher than the 2006 Z06 but comments attributed to Harlan Charles indicates that might not be the case. If the Z07 ride quality is "streetable" or easily changed to become so, I'm in. If I found the Z07 ride quality too rough, and a simple change of say the springs would make it reasonably close to a non-Z07 that would be fine in my mind. Any ideas on how to get an informed clarification on this?

2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 First Look - Motor Trend

"The Z07 package is the only way to get the Stage 3 kit. Order the package, and your car will arrive looking mostly like a Stage 2 car, but in the trunk you'll find a carbon front splitter with extra-large winglets and a clear center Gurney flap segment that bolts to the rear spoiler for even more downforce. That center piece is clear to improve rear visibility—and it's adjustable up and down, with changes of just a quarter-inch said to have been noticeable to test drivers." Harlan mentioned this in the interview, I believe.

So, if you order the Z07 package, it will arrive as a Stage 2 aero setup. And if you take a long ride the quality should be very similar to the Stage 2 Z06 quality.
This is assuming that the suspension is the same for both. The Z07 aero add-ons will increase downforce and decrease ride quality as a result. You don't have to have to have the add-ons in place, but they can be added fairly easily for track purposes. I would expect the only change on the MRC is in "track mode" and it would be slightly firmer for the Z07 setup.

Eventually, all this should become clear as there is a lot of time left for such clarification.

Perhaps, the mention of heaftier suspension, was in relation to Stingray vs the new Z06?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
At the Bash had a one-to-one conversation with Mike Bailey, StingRay/Z06 Chassis Engineer, then Mike said that we should confirm our conversation, and our conclusions with Phil Minch, Corvette Structures Group Manager. Luckily, we immediately found and then talked with Phil. In the following twenty minute conversation, they both explicitly said that the MSRC system is tauter in some Z07 settings, that the "bars" (sway bars) are bigger, and the suspension bushings much firmer, resulting in a much, much firmer ride, and they both volunteered that the Z07's Michelin Cup 2s, compared to the Michelins on Stage 1 & 2, further add to a more precise ride. And they then agreed to my follow-up specific question and my belief, will the (C7) Z07's ride be firmer than that in my 2006 Z06, and they both said "yes." Then, I specifically asked if the springs were different in the Z07 and they both said, "no."

The stage 1 Z07 is track capable, not for competitive races, but very track capable! The stage 2 Z06, with its 400% greater downforce than the stage 1 is highly track capable -- though against the Z07 (both drivers equal), the Z07 will clearly outperform (perhaps trounce) the stage 2.

Am very concerned that if a person gets a Z07 and does a lot of daily driving, the ride harshness -- compounded not just by the car's components but much of the roads we all drive on, will make that car highly uncomfortable for most of that driving. Those of you considering a Z07, if you are not engaging in highly competitive driving, you may be choosing a car, IMO, which, after the "newness excitement" of the Z07 wears off, is one you are not pleased with due to ride quality.

I do not know how to be any clearer than everything I have just posted, and what I have posted previously. I know my questions were explicit and clear, for I had written them about before I went to the Bash. I went to the Bash, even had the written questions in my hand, and looked at my question sheet while I was talking with them to insure I was not leaving anything out, and that my every suspension question was completely and exactly answered. They were! Mike and Phil were crystal clear and precise in their answers. You can choose to believe that I did not ask clear questions, I misreported their responses, or that the two key Z06 suspension/chassis engineers were not clear in their responses to me. Any/all such conclusions would be inaccurate.

Please remember that I went to Bash with a good part of me wanting answers that would change my mind there, and get me comfortable with ordering a Z07. On the contrary, I left there 1000% positive that a Z07 would be a totally wrong car for me, for while I love to enthusiastically carve country road corners with the best, and enjoy some non-competitive time at the track, I do not drive competitively at the track, and I, personally will not sacrifice our enjoyment of taking long drives in our 2015 Z06. I remain excited in our decision to get a Stage 2 Z06, and know, that for us, a Z07 would be the wrong car.

The 2015 Z06 with the Z07 option is designed to defeat some of the best at the track, including cars like the Ferrari 458 Speciale, Viper TA and similar or even better cars. GM will not leave anything off the table in the Z07 (other than making it so it is not street legal). The Z07 is designed to be a track weapon, and yet some are thinking, I will use this car as into a daily driver. I read the above referenced conversation with Kirk Bennion, and how did he describe the Z07? "For the extremist." Those of you who are considering the Z07, please ask yourself, "am I a track extremist?"

Learned corrected info on suspension components; corrected info in post # 32.

·
Registered
718 Posts
My posts were related to the information about the Z07 package and noting that nothing I had found verified the information you posted about the firmer suspension. I am glad that you have written to once again verify the information pertaining to the Z07 package being firmer than the standard Z06.
I hope that many potential buyers use that information when the time comes to select their options.

I myself, have never stated that I will be selecting the Z07 option. I have stated I will be selecting the Stage 2 option. I have no need for the Z07 option and will not be selecting it.
My concern was for many that have stated here and on another forum that they will be selecting the Z07 option and their lack of knowledge that it will in fact have a firmer ride quality.
Why? Because their has not been any information (other than what you have written) about this difference in suspension, at least that I have found.

I hope for all interested in the Z07 option that more details about this suspension difference surfaces in the coming weeks.
I am very glad indeed that you were at the BASH John and asked these questions, because if you hadn't, this very valuable information about this difference in the suspensions would be unknown.

Bob
aka "The Devils Advocate"

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks BOBSZ06, for you are so correct that many, at least elsewhere, are planning on getting a Z07, with more than a few also planning on using it as a daily driver. Those folks need to keep learning, be open to learning, before they place their orders.

As GM still will be testing, developing, and fine tuning the car for at least four more months, just as GM learned a few weeks ago when the snow finally melted at their Milford Proving Grounds, that the all stages of the Z06 will need moredeck spoiler than previously shared (e.g. that the stage 1 will not longer have the Z-51's spoiler) doubt that they will release any definitive info for several months -- but as suggested, likewise hope that info gets widely distributed bef,ore orders go in (estimated mid/late September). The latest info the Corvette team has will be shared during the end-of-National-Corvette-Caravan, August 27-30th, NCM's 20th Anniversary celebration -- when top Corvette team members will be at the Museum making 2015 product overview presentations.

Even if you choose not to partake on the Caravan itself, the Celebration will be informative (especially if you are there, but also later on videos shared here).

20th Anniversary Celebration - Expanded Agenda

2014 National Corvette Caravan

·
Registered
817 Posts
elegant may very well be saving me, and others, from buying the wrong car! The information he has shared is not only way different from what many believe/assume/hope/wish...but also very credible. John has a passion for this hobby and I consider him a wealth of good information.

What confuses me is why is the ride quality so much different? The springs are the same. Bigger sway bars usually are not associated with poor ride quality. MSRC could have a huge effect on ride quality, but why would that be the case in something like the "Tour" mode setting? As for bushings, do they really have that dramatic effect on ride quality? I have no experience in the Cup vs non-Cup tires, but tires surely can effect ride quality...but to what degree?

I guess what I want, and what Z07 is, may be two different things. But, I still question why?!

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What confuses me is why is the ride quality so much different? The springs are the same. Bigger sway bars usually are not associated with poor ride quality. MSRC could have a huge effect on ride quality, but why would that be the case in something like the "Tour" mode setting? As for bushings, do they really have that dramatic effect on ride quality? I have no experience in the Cup vs non-Cup tires, but tires surely can effect ride quality...but to what degree? I guess what I want, and what Z07 is, may be two different things. But, I still question why?!
Bigger sway bars will not contribute to "poor ride quality," (as per above) but they can contribute to stiffer ride quality. Cup tires further contribute to stiffer ride quality. Compounding the above, and I believe the single biggest factor in why the Z07 becomes a "track attack" king, are its much stiffer suspension bushings.

Every force, vibration or road-induced-input that gets past the shocks into the ends of outer ends of the upper and lower control arms, gets passed down the control arms (aluminum) into the chassis (aluminum), mitigated only by the any potential softness (force absorption capability) in the suspension bushings between the two. Since the Z07's suspension bushings are rigid urethane or similar rigid material, and as they are very firm, how much damping might they do? Certainly some, but not all, forces and bumps will be eliminated, and thus many road imperfections that get transmitted into the control arms in a Z07 will get further transmitted to your seat, your steering wheel and to your pedals. Really stiff suspension bushings are great for competitive racing, but lousy for a daily driver or for going long distances.

·
Registered
817 Posts
The tires and anti-sway bars can be swapped out easily enough, but those simple little bushings would be a lot of labor!

I'm not a big lover of compromises but I might go without Z07 to have a better riding car. And if after driving the car I still feel the world is going to come to an end if I don't have CCB they could be added. On that note, are the Z07 calipers the same as non-Zo7?

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
On that note, are the Z07 calipers the same as non-Zo7?
There was a picture on here taken back in January right after the Z06 was revealed. As best as I remember, the Z07 calipers are bigger than the Z06 Stage 2 calipers.

Reactions: elegant

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We know very little about Z06 calipers, though as we all know, the stage 1 and stage 2 rotors are 14.6/14.4", whereas the Z07's are 15.5/15.3". We have not seen stage 1 or 2 calipers. Even the GM Z06 spec sheet doesn't give us caliper sizing, only stating that all stages have six-piston front calipers and four-piston rears.

In fact other than heavily camo'd ones, we haven't even seen a pure picture of either the stage 1 nor the stage 2, having to learn a lot about even both their front splitters and on the stage 2's splitter winglets from the SEMA Atlantic and Pacific cars. GM, how about some real stage 1 and 2 pictures please? Know however, that that isn't going to happen for a while, especially when they are testing some real stage 1/2 hybrids, here:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/2015-corvette-z06/4245-z06-s-changing.html

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
There was a picture on here taken back in January right after the Z06 was revealed. As best as I remember, the Z07 calipers are bigger than the Z06 Stage 2 calipers.
See post #48 in the following thread:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum...s/2350-z06-reveal-picture-video-thread-5.html

I thought there was a better picture with a view from straight in front instead of off to the side, but, with the picture in that thread, you can still see differences if you look carefully. The calipers are NOT the same.

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
We know very little about Z06 calipers, though as we all know, the stage 1 and stage 2 rotors are 14.6/14.4", whereas the Z07's are 15.5/15.3". We have not seen stage 1 or 2 calipers. Even the GM Z06 spec sheet doesn't give us caliper sizing, only stating that all stages have six-piston front calipers and four-piston rears.

In fact other than heavily camo'd ones, we haven't even seen a pure picture of either the stage 1 nor the stage 2, having to learn a lot about even both their front splitters and on the stage 2's splitter winglets from the SEMA Atlantic and Pacific cars. GM, how about some real stage 1 and 2 pictures please? Know however, that that isn't going to happen for a while, especially when they are testing some real stage 1/2 hybrids, here:

http://www.stingrayforums.com/forum/2015-corvette-z06/4245-z06-s-changing.html
Hi John,

Please see my post above with a link showing a picture of the "Z06 Standard" rotors and calipers in the middle. Dimensions are not given, but we can see a different size and shape between all three calipers shown, with no two being the same.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Wouldn't we all love to see some really good pictures!
Actually, when looking back to find that picture 10 minutes ago, I was again struck with how many great pictures of the Z06s are in that thread. I almost posted that people should revisit every page of that thread to admire the pictures again!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts