Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A) Splitter:

The base/stage 1 Z06 has a smallest of the Z06 front splitters (and is identical to the one on the Atlantic version), looking a lot like the simple splitter on a C6 Z06, EXCEPT on average protruding 1 1/4" forward of the fascia (about twice as much on average as a C6 Z06 splitter). It's shape is best described as a continuous side-to-side arc; i.e., the stage 1 splitter does NOT stick out more below, nor does it mimic the jutting out front fascia "fangs". Described as being a black gloss composite (it is not carbon fiber).

Here is the Z06 stage 1 splitter (shown on the Atlantic version).

B) Side Skirts:

There are no side skirts on the base/stage 1. (The minute one adds either the carbon flash CFZ aero option OR the visible carbon fiber CFV aero option -- both of which have side skirts, it is no longer a stage one Z06, but becomes a stage 2 Z06, and if the Z07 package is further added, becomes a stage 3/Z07 Z06.)

C) Spoiler:

1) Is a three piece spoiler;
2) Comes only in black;
3) Has two corner winglets that "return"/"point-to" the front of the car; and,
4) It height is 30 mm (1 1/4") less than the spoilers found on stage 2 and on the stage 3/Z07.

Here is the only GM released picture of a stage 1 spoiler (top right).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Hmm, I was thinking I would go stage 1, but I think I prefer the more contoured stage 2 splitter. My Z might be getting more expensive the more we learn!

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
The Stage 2 is definitely better looking, but no splitter is safe on the terrain around here.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More Z06 stage 1 splitter close ups. Great for you to find the above picture Bob! Interesting that when first introduced, Harlan said the stage 1 splitter would be a semi-gloss composite (like the black one above, and like C6 Z06 splitters), yet now we are primarily seeing a carbon flash black paint, gloss clear coated version as in these two pictures. Guessing/hoping that the composite look might be pre-production versions.

Shown on Atlantic SEMA StingRay​

·
Registered
98 Posts
That Stage 1 splitter is begging to be painted carbon flash!
S.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just put in prelim order at my dealer. Is there some logic to the "black only" spoiler/splitter or is this a GM oversight, since Carbon Fiber is an option for the stages 2 and 3? I prefer a body color spoiler, but if it has to be black, I'd like it in CF. It makes no sense that I can order a CF mirror on the stage 1, but not get the spoiler/splitter in CF, while the stages 2 and 3 have full CF options.

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Mirrors cannot be carbon fiber. CF mirrors means "Carbon Flash" mirrors.

By the way, is the Stage 1 spoiler carbon flash or some other black color?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Mirrors cannot be carbon fiber. CF mirrors means "Carbon Flash" mirrors.

By the way, is the Stage 1 spoiler carbon flash or some other black color?
Yup carbon flash for the mirrors. I'm also wondering if the Stage 1 front splitter is carbon flash... I hope so but if not oh well it can be painted.

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup carbon flash for the mirrors. I'm also wondering if the Stage 1 front splitter is carbon flash... I hope so but if not oh well it can be painted.
Good question and one to which we do not definitively know the answer. On the Atlantic SEMA car, the splitter is beautifully painted. Yet on both the test fleet, and also from Harlan's comment that it is a "semi-gloss black composite," we have different info. As lots of aero components have evolved through the testing/ development process (as they should), we may not know until the first customer car comes down the line and someone sees it. If other than shiny, absolutely correct that it will be painted carbon flash.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Thanks for the Stage 1 spoiler photo, very clean look. At Carlisle they only had Z07 Stage 3?
Art

·
Registered
10,424 Posts
Good question and one to which we do not definitively know the answer. On the Atlantic SEMA car, the splitter is beautifully painted. Yet on both the test fleet, and also from Harlan's comment that it is a "semi-gloss black composite," we have different info. As lots of aero components have evolved through the testing/ development process (as they should), we may not know until the first customer car comes down the line and someone sees it. If other than shiny, absolutely correct that it will be painted carbon flash.
John, does this also apply to the Stage 1 spoiler (post #13)? Do we yet know the type of black color which will be used there? What about the Stage 2 spoiler for those going that route?

·
18,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
John, does this also apply to the Stage 1 spoiler (post #13)? Do we yet know the type of black color which will be used there? What about the Stage 2 spoiler for those going that route?
UPDATE/CORRECTED INFO (October 1st): The info I posted immediately below about all spoilers being a shiny, non carbon carbon flash black was incorrect! Thanks for subsequent posts correcting my error!

EVERY Z06 spoiler we have seen is a shiny, glossy, pure black (not a carbon flash metallic). Every production Z06 spoiler will be likewise, though of course GM reserves the right to make any/all last minute changes -- as we have been repeatedly warned that we are only seeing pre-production cars.

So all grills and vents are carbon flash metallic, as is the splitter and the skirts on all Stage 2 and Stage 3/Z07 CFZ equipped aero package cars, yet no match there, as the spoiler will be shiny, glossy black.

Nor is there a match if you order a stage 2 or a stage 3/Z07 CFV "carbon fiber visible" equipped car, i.e, the splitter and the skirts are visible carbon fiber whereas the spoiler will again be a shiny, glossy black.

That's the best info we now know, and more than a few, such as "Snorman", have commented that the spoilers for the CFZ should be painted carbon flash metallic -- and the spoilers should be visible carbon fiber if one orders the CFV aero package. I agree fully, but as of yet, we will not be able to get a complete matching set of splitter, skirts and spoiler no matter what you do, no matter what stage you order.

Same is true for the stage 1 car, for as Harlan Charles has said, its splitter will be a semi-gloss composite (just like the splitter on all C6 Z06's --except those with the "carbon package"), and while stage 1's do not have skirts, their spoiler will be shiny, glossy black. Again, go figure.

Does GM have a surprise for us all, e.g., matching components in the production versions? Doubt it. However, we will not 100% know until someone is actually watching the production line when the first Z06 customer cars come down the line in about three/four weeks.

And, there are some, including me, that are already considering having my body shop paint my stage 2 CFZ spoiler carbon flash metallic.

·
Registered
718 Posts
EVERY Z06 spoiler we have seen is a shiny, glossy, pure black (not a carbon flash metallic). Every production Z06 spoiler will be likewise, though of course GM reserves the right to make any/all last minute changes -- as we have been repeatedly warned that we are only seeing pre-production cars.

So all grills and vents are carbon flash metallic, as is the splitter and the skirts on all Stage 2 and Stage 3/Z07 CFZ equipped aero package cars, yet no match there, as the spoiler will be shiny, glossy black.

Nor is there a match if you order a stage 2 or a stage 3/Z07 CFV "carbon fiber visible" equipped car, i.e, the splitter and the skirts are visible carbon fiber whereas the spoiler will again be a shiny, glossy black.

That's the best info we now know, and more than a few, such as "Snorman", have commented that the spoilers for the CFZ should be painted carbon flash metallic -- and the spoilers should be visible carbon fiber if one orders the CFV aero package. I agree fully, but as of yet, we will not be able to get a complete matching set of splitter, skirts and spoiler no matter what you do, no matter what stage you order.

Same is true for the stage 1 car, for as Harlan Charles has said, its splitter will be a semi-gloss composite (just like the splitter on all C6 Z06's --except those with the "carbon package"), and while stage 1's do not have skirts, their spoiler will be shiny, glossy black. Again, go figure.

Does GM have a surprise for us all, e.g., matching components in the production versions? Doubt it. However, we will not 100% know until someone is actually watching the production line when the first Z06 customer cars come down the line in about three/four weeks.

And, there are some, including me, that are already considering having my body shop paint my stage 2 CFZ spoiler carbon flash metallic.

Here is a photo taken at the New York Auto Show of the Shark Gray spoiler. It certainly appears to be Carbon Flash not pure black. This is a Z06 with the Z07 package.
It then matches the carbon flash stinger stripe, cf vents, CFZ splitters, and rear lower cf fascia all in carbon flash.

View attachment 13682

1 - 20 of 130 Posts