Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you manual drivers start your stingray in 2nd gear instead of 1st?
A friend recommended I do that and I've tried it a few times (on flat roads) and it seems to be fine. Not sure what the pros/cons are of doing this.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Hum... Let's see. It will decrease the likelihood that you will spin your tires. It will result in you having to shift less. It will mean you will never have to worry about the CAGS skip-shift turning on.

On the other hand, if you ever find yourself on a steep hill (gotta love the City by the Bay) on, let's say, Taylor Street hill, start in 1st. :D

Reactions: Hacuzzi

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
Oh, here are a couple more:

If you are going downhill, and it is STEEP (again, S.F. comes to mind), start in first and, on the really steep ones downtown, leave it in first. That will help save your brakes and maintain control.

If you are going downhill where you have a long run-out, and the road is such that you expect to achieve more than, let's say, 35 MPH+ and expect no sudden stops, start in 2nd. It will give a smoother start.

If it is flat and you are in a low traction condition, start in second (again, less likely to spin wheels).

If you are on Taylor Street hill in the pouring rain, ask yourself, "Why do I have a death wish?!" Haha. Just joking. Start in first, but you really have to be gentle on the throttle, and play the balancing game very carefully on letting out the clutch while moving the gas pedal down until you can "hold the car". Then slowly lift the heel of your right foot off the brake while giving it a little more gas than that and pull away slowly while letting the clutch all the way out. Fun times.

Others? Hum...

Reactions: Hacuzzi

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
A friend recommended I do that and I've tried it a few times (on flat roads) and it seems to be fine. Not sure what the pros/cons are of doing this.

Thoughts?
But why? It's harder on the clutch and I can's see any reason to drive like that. What benefit does your friend suggest there is to drive this way?

·
Registered
65 Posts
If first wasn't needed GM could have saved tons of money by leaving it out. Hey let's go back to the 3 speed and really save time and money.

·
Registered
10,418 Posts
But why? It's harder on the clutch and I can's see any reason to drive like that. What benefit does your friend suggest there is to drive this way?
Chip, it is extremely hilly in some places in this area. In some cases when starting out going downhill, it is much more smooth to start in second.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know, which is why I came to the Internet seeking answers :)

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
If I'm approaching a stop sign, and there is no other traffic, I will often do a convenient Rolling Stop™ at around 5 mph in 2nd.

Of course, this move is illegal in most places, so I'm not endorsing it.

For rebels and scofflaws like me though (who make and live by our own rules), rolling stops are another way to fight back against "the man".:rolleyes:

Otherwise, always use 1st gear when starting from a standstill, and spin the tires liberally like a good, self-respecting hooligan.:cool:

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
...Otherwise, always use 1st gear when starting from a standstill, and spin the tires liberally like a good, self-respecting hooligan.:cool:
Mobius; You know that we can't condone that sort of hooligan behavior here! ;)

·
Registered
391 Posts
Driven sticks,manuals since 1961,I would say if your on A slight downgrade go ahead start off in 2 nd no problem.To me if your on A slight upgrade or on an even road your going to be riding,burning the clutch.Supposely it's A strong clutch.But if you do this a lot you'll
Most likely wear it out prematurealy.Myself I like to shift that's why I bought the 7 speed.

·
Registered
2020 C8 Z51
1,432 Posts

Thoughts?
Reminded me of my 1941 Ford Opera Coupe when I was a teenager. Started in 2nd all the time-- well after I blew 1st when I stuffed in a ’51 Olds engine bored 1/8 inch to ’55 specs (yep they built some beefy blocks at that time!) Kind of like the song, “I got rubber in all 2 gears!” However the Ford had 4:11 rear end gears (a standard for those low hp original motors) and the C7 only 3.42. Also 2nd gear is only a 1.78:1 gear ratio in the std Stingray and 2.07:1 for the Z51. 1st is 2.66:1 in the std Vette and 2.96:1 in the Z51.
Think I’d stick with 1st!!
41CoupeCrpJPEG_zps6fa47133.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts