Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of thought and consideration I am laying out plans to get back into vintage cars. I have been out for a little while and it's a thing I miss a lot. I'm going to be 51 and if I don't have fun now...when am I planning on that? Previously I have owned Olds, Buick, and Pontiac classics and muscle cars, one of them for three decades. I bled the Buick Tri-shield colors for a long time.

Although the prices are a serious enough thing to be sobering, I am looking into C2s. I like C3s up to '72 but I much prefer C2s. I have seen several I would buy given the right conditions, but one of those conditions is the location I would be storing. I have to square away my home garage first, before anything: if I don't have a place to store, no way will I buy. So that means maximizing my storage area, prepping it so the car won't get storage ills, etc. The garage is small ut I feel I can make that work with effort and short cash if I just plan it right. I am not going to rush that, which is fine since I plan on not buying the car in a rush anyway.

I've done this long enough to know that you talk to knowledgeable people first, before purchase from ANYwhere or anyone. Typically, the people who know are much surer bets to get lines on the right car than rolling dice on a website. And that's why I'm here.

My goal is a '64 to '67 coupe, manual trans, 327 car. '63 is out of the question and I like the '65 best overall. Numbers matching are not my highest priority, since I do not plan on making a need for a trophy room. However I have virtually no interest in cars with say, modern interiors or digital dashes, bumper deletes, LS swaps, 20" wheels etc because that is cusmization I would have to correct and I am not looking for projects. I would not be adverse to a car with the 'wrong' engine if all else is acceptable however. I can correct that and have fun doing it. The condition I am looking for is for a car which can be used on weekends or special occasions, late spring to fall of course. So a nice car but not a museum peice. I realize that covers much ground. What is my budget? I could buy the 80K cars I see advertised. "could" and "will" are different lol.

My first order of business here is to start seaching the forums and see what to look out for. I am in general aware of the construction of the car- body shell around a steel 'birdcage', and that the body shells are made of multiple peices bonded together. I know that damage and rust on the birdcage is a real thing. I know that old fibreglass can be brittle and dry. I need to know what makes a C2 good or bad, where to see the signs of a car being good or bad, where to look for butchery or signs of originality. I need to clean my garage and seal the floor...

·
Registered
73 Posts
In 1967 we bought a new '67 C2 (it's last year) with the 4-speed stick and the standard 300 hp 327 CID engine (hence my "Bob67327"). I'm very sorry that we can't advise you about how to pick out a good one now!

When people ask if we're sorry we sold ours (in 1971) we say no, because the cost of keeping it all these 50 plus years may have prevented us from enjoying many successive cars. By modern standards it didn't really drive all that well. But it was fantastically marvelous back then, and is still, in our opinion, a beautiful car!

One suggestion, if it matters to you, I don't think 4-wheel disc brakes became standard until '66 or '67.

BTW, we paid $4,400 for it and sold it for $1,300.

What you do when it's your only car.....sorry, this is a very faded print that's been on our wall for 50 years!
Tire Wheel Vehicle Photograph Car

1 - 2 of 2 Posts