Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is anyone else experiencing a loud clunking/popping noise coming from the front end when you start to roll out from a standstill while turning? If you turn the steering wheel about half the way before lock It will continue to clunk or pop loudly shaking the steering wheel until you straiten the wheel.The car is a Z51 equipped model(500miles on it) and since its been raining all week here its been in the Weather mode if that makes a diff? The dealer has been contacted and the vette is scheduled to be seen next week.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Is anyone else experiencing a loud clunking/popping noise coming from the front end when you start to roll out from a standstill while turning? If you turn the steering wheel about half the way before lock It will continue to clunk or pop loudly shaking the steering wheel until you straiten the wheel.The car is a Z51 equipped model(500miles on it) and since its been raining all week here its been in the Weather mode if that makes a diff? The dealer has been contacted and the vette is scheduled to be seen next week.
I felt it today for the first time. I disregarded it because others on the forum have described the same issue and it's normal. Sorry to say that I can't explain it but, by later today, I'm sure you'll have plenty of detailed input from the membership.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, for the info, I guess I better take the shrink wrap off the owners book

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
You know as much as this topic is responded to as "Normal" I wonder how many of you with Z-51 rear e-diffs find it more pronounced than a C-6? I would love to see one of you with prior gen. experience compare your experience of this phenomenon between your C-6 and your Z-51 equipped C-7. The same, better, worse?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It might be normal but it's still a little weird for me. I'm coming from other cars that don't do this (Jag, Audi, Mercedes) and with time this will prob seem normal as well.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Supposedly its normal but I have to say its annoying as $hit!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Supposedly its normal but I have to say its annoying as $hit!
agreed...bugs me too......I only get it at the extreme lock, so I modify my driving style to not keep it at the lock when I turn, and just plan to make my turns a bit wider...

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
agreed...bugs me too......I only get it at the extreme lock, so I modify my driving style to not keep it at the lock when I turn, and just plan to make my turns a bit wider...
No need to do that, just goose the throttle and rotate the rear around :)

·
Administrator
16,496 Posts
No need to do that, just goose the throttle and rotate the rear around :)
That is also a good way to get into tight parallel parking spots ;);)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
From the manual:

Tire Chatter
During hard, slow turns, such as parking, the difference in steering angle of the tires may cause one tire to slide or hop lightly to keep up. This hop of the wide tires may cause a chatter sound. The noise will stop as the wheels are straightened.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed - $51,000 cars from competitors, do not turn in like this. My wife’s base level Porsche Cayanne which is the same price, is a prime example. This is a probably a design problem which can be fixed by some of the Great minds at GM. GM has “knocked it out of the park” with the C7, but the process of continuous improvement, is just beginning. This level of quality shouldn't be acceptable. The C7 competes on a global scale. Why sell it short in this area?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You know as much as this topic is responded to as "Normal" I wonder how many of you with Z-51 rear e-diffs find it more pronounced than a C-6? I would love to see one of you with prior gen. experience compare your experience of this phenomenon between your C-6 and your Z-51 equipped C-7. The same, better, worse?
I read an article about the C7 back in July, I think. The writer said that the turning radius was improved from the C6 by 2 feet. That would certainly contribute to worse hop even with the same Ackerman setup. I have also talked to a guy with a C7 non Z that said he didn't ever notice it. I drove his car and I didn't either. I made one U-Turn in it and didn't feel any thing. Is the non Z less susceptible to it?

Sent from my iPad using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Agreed - $51,000 cars from competitors, do not turn in like this. My wife’s base level Porsche Cayanne which is the same price, is a prime example. This is a manufacturing problem which can be fixed by some of the Great minds at GM. GM has “knocked it out of the park” with the C7, but the process of continuous improvement, is just beginning. This level of quality shouldn't be acceptable. The C7 competes on a global scale. Why sell it short in this area?
Don't confuse something working as designed as a "quality" issue, a quality issue would be something NOT working as designed. Comparing the steering geometry of a SUV to a sports car is rather moot too. If it were a Caymen then you would have a better point. To believe the engineers got lazy on this and just left a problem in the suspension without weighing all the positives and negatives is just naive. I can imagine there were heated discussions but in the end the suspension geometry that provides the best performance at speed is what one out.

BTW, many sports and even some luxury cars exhibit this, it all depends on the design criteria these vehicles were designed to.

If you want to hear the Ackerman principle in action just hang around a parking garage and listen to all the tire screeching going on, that's the Ackerman principle in action but with much less grippy tires on less than ideal surfaces on vehicles that only have a fraction of the performance potential of the C7.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
Don't confuse something working as designed as a "quality" issue, a quality issue would be something NOT working as designed. Comparing the steering geometry of a SUV to a sports car is rather moot too. If it were a Caymen then you would have a better point. To believe the engineers got lazy on this and just left a problem in the suspension without weighing all the positives and negatives is just naive. I can imagine there were heated discussions but in the end the suspension geometry that provides the best performance at speed is what one out.

BTW, many sports and even some luxury cars exhibit this, it all depends on the design criteria these vehicles were designed to.

If you want to hear the Ackerman principle in action just hang around a parking garage and listen to all the tire screeching going on, that's the Ackerman principle in action but with much less grippy tires on less than ideal surfaces on vehicles that only have a fraction of the performance potential of the C7.
great answer - I'd rather have the shorter turning radius. Why does everyone get upset at a design that works just because they have not seen it on other cars they know? I don't care...if it's designed in, based on all the other decisions they made that work so well, I could care less.....

PS.... the $90k BMW M6 does this...

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Here is something that I thought was interesting; Some owners are reporting that when they switched to "winter tires" on their C-7's the noise is / was greatly reduced. Are all of you getting this noise from the front , back, or both?

·
Registered
31 Posts
If due to Ackerman angles it would have to be coming from the front. It comes into play when turning due to differing angles of the front tires. This is to prevent oversteer in high performance vehicles in high speed cornering. It is ultimately a compromised approach. One would think that angles could be compensated for by speed as well. Then there wouldn't be skipping and hopping at sharp turn low speed situations.

Sent from my iPad using Corve

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
If due to Ackerman angles it would have to be coming from the front....
Sent from my iPad using Corve
Your right Dusty, but I have heard reports from owners who thought the noise was coming from the rear. To my way of thinking that makes it a rear diff issue. If it's a Z-51, it becomes a E-diff issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts