Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new-old 1964 Sting Ray arrived Thursday. Of course, I had to take some photos of her with her 2014 Stingray counterpart. Both are incredible sports cars!

IMG_0709.JPG IMG_0711.JPG IMG_0713.JPG IMG_0714.JPG IMG_0716.JPG IMG_0717.JPG IMG_0723.JPG IMG_0724.JPG

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
And your stable of one from every generation gets closer!

Reactions: jagamajajaran

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am in love: TWICE!
:D

And your stable of one from every generation gets closer!
I need to sell my 73 or 80 and get a C5 since I sold the 99 right after I got it. lol And then all I would need would be something from the C1 generation. However, building the garage and then the house is likely going to require selling most of my collection soon. But I plan to keep the '14 and '64.

·
Administrator
16,303 Posts
So very cool Jeremy! Thanks for posting :cool:

·
Registered
141 Posts
Really cool!! It's really amazing how much Vettes have advanced over the past 50 years but also how incredibly nostalgic the 64 is! If I had to pick just one, I might lean towards the 64!

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's a beautiful thing...

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Wow Jeremy, your living my dream.... I'm planning on doing exactly what your already doing. Aside from this new C7, my favorite generation is the C-2 Fastback. Maybe someday.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm remembering that car too well from college days; fifty years-- doesn't seem possible. Those two should never be broken up (the kids would never forgive you).
Was the "Sting Ray" moniker two words back then? Never noticed.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Jeremy, Very cool a stable of HotRods, now which one to drive!!

SF
Rick

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Jeremy
Great pictures thanks for sharing. Love the side pipes! That was such a great look on that car.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks, everyone! :)

Was the "Sting Ray" moniker two words back then? Never noticed.
Yes, it was "Sting Ray" until 1969 when it became one word through 1976.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I had a 64 Roadster. It sure was simple compared to the C7. The "entertainment system" was a mono AM-FM radio. My windows were hand crank. The brakes were all drums (discs arrived on the 65 model). Putting the top up and down was all done manually. The "climate control" was a three speed fan, and you pulled out the knob to choose between heat and defrost. Mine had no Air Conditioning. The idea of an air conditioned roadster seemed silly to me at the time. This car only used electricity for the lighting, heater fan, horn, and ignition. As a result, it only had a 37 amp alternator, which, I seem to recall, had a larger diameter belt pulley because the Vette engine revved higher than a 327 in an Impala.

Selling it to raise money for the down payment on my house is one of my few regrets in life.

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a 64 Roadster. It sure was simple compared to the C7. The "entertainment system" was a mono AM-FM radio. My windows were hand crank. The brakes were all drums (discs arrived on the 65 model). Putting the top up and down was all done manually. The "climate control" was a three speed fan, and you pulled out the knob to choose between heat and defrost. Mine had no Air Conditioning. The idea of an air conditioned roadster seemed silly to me at the time. This car only used electricity for the lighting, heater fan, horn, and ignition. As a result, it only had a 37 amp alternator, which, I seem to recall, had a larger diameter belt pulley because the Vette engine revved higher than a 327 in an Impala.

Selling it to raise money for the down payment on my house is one of my few regrets in life.
I love the simplicity of the '64 just as much as I love the complexity of the '14. Mine is just as you described yours. :)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Both very cool. Congratulations on your new ride.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Mine had no Air Conditioning. The idea of an air conditioned roadster seemed silly to me at the time.
Rob; You know for my purposes a new roadster does not need an AC either. I will not be using it day to day nor fall victim to brain killing city driving. My present roadster only gets the AC turned on to keep the system operational for the next owner. When I bought my new 71 LT 1 it did not have air either.When I have the top down on my roadster's (which is the only way I drive) I don't need no stinking AC! ;)

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
But one thing that the 64 Roadster had which is not available today on a C7 Roadster is a removable factory hardtop, painted body color, that fit into the same anchor points as the convertible top. It usually went on around Thanksgiving, and came off the following March. It was a two person job to put it in place on the car. I used to store mine from the garage roof in a sling made from a piece of carpeting.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Jeremy, I see you have what appears to be a set of factory knock off wheels with the "Ben Hur Chariot Race" knock off wings. I know that was a factory option, but I rarely saw any cars with them. The normal wheels were just steel discs with hub caps with ersatz knock off hubs. Those knock off center nuts were banned around 1968 for safety reasons. I guess the movie Ben Hur had a contributing effect...

And I am glad your tires seem to be a set of blackwall radials, putting performance over originality. My Roadster, which I bought used, two years old with 25K miles, had the original equipment tires....a set of 2 ply bias ply Firestone DeLuxe Champions, size 7.75-15. They had a narrow white wall. When I wore those out, I put a set of Pirelli Cinturato CN72 tires, which I think also had a narrow white wall. The radials performed much better than those Firestones. But I was in college at the time, and could not afford to replace them until they wore out. I even had two of them recapped as snow tires. Can you imagine recapped snow tires on a C7?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts