Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Yall,

So my dad recently got a new Stingray. However, I was punching the car before the break in period forgetting all about it. I was wondering if the engine would still be okay? I punch it about three times and rev'ed at 5k rpm. Surely now I know not to do that until the 500 mile mark.

Thank you,
Speed Panda.

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Speed Panda, I'm sure every member on this forum went over 4500 rpms a couple of times before they racked up 500 miles.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
70 Posts
Speed Panda, I'm sure every member on this forum went over 4500 rpms a couple of times before they racked up 500 miles.

SF
Rick
Not me. I wouldn't even go over 3k rpm. It never went over 4k rpm till after 1500 miles. The money this car required isn't spare change for me, other folks the opposite I guess. For them it prob doesn't matter, & I support them doing it however they want.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Hi Yall,

So my dad recently got a new Stingray. However, I was punching the car before the break in period forgetting all about it. I was wondering if the engine would still be okay? I punch it about three times and rev'ed at 5k rpm. Surely now I know not to do that until the 500 mile mark.

Thank you,
Speed Panda.
As Jason on Friday the 13th always said: Kids! Did you tell your dad?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is more of a guideline to stop people from driving on the track and pushing the car to its limits.... Also you have warranty lol

·
Registered
817 Posts
Hi Yall,

Thank you,
Speed Panda.
Hey Speed...I hope you didn't break his heart with this news on Fathers Day! :)

I totally agree with the other replies...not to worry. The engine will be fine.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. It is more of a guideline to stop people from driving on the track and pushing the car to its limits.... Also you have warranty lol
I might worry about the warranty.............. The car "records" stuff like that.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
I might worry about the warranty.............. The car "records" stuff like that.
Please provide your evidence for that claim, that there is a "black box" recorder.

Reactions: StingrayDom

·
Registered
5,453 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
"Excuse me sir, your ECM shows us you Rev'd over 4000rpm 3 times prior 500 miles.... Warranty voided" ... I doubt it.... Enjoy the Cars Lads and Ladies! They are meant to be driven! I doubt 90% of you beat the crap out of the car constantly. All of you seem to take great car of your beauties, so I doubt you drive it to a point were you are going to hurt it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I doubt it too, since the mfg, revs the crap out of it. But the possibility still exists.

I watched BMW void engine warranty because of similar incident, but the person blew the engine right there and then

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
A little story about ECM recording from my past. When I was the regional manger for BMW in West Penna I had a dealer owner call me that the convertible he was driving had gotten the top stuck 1/2 way up on the rollover studs that pop up when the car is about to rollover. A hookup to the ECM showed that at 12:30 AM the night before, ALL 4 WHEELS LEFT THE GROUND. And triggered the rollover studs behind the rear headrests.

When I presented the data to him he thought for a moment and suddenly semi yelled "My kid's prom was last night!!!" Sure enuf, the kid admitted to jumping a railroad track at 45 mph and launching the car.

I told the owner I would warranty the reset if he would ground the kid for 2 weeks...He wholeheartedly agreed....

The ECM records a lot of data...we also turned down warranty on M3's every so often when a person blew the engine as the ECM told us where and when the person missed a high RPM shift or downshifted into a gear not right for the conditions (like from 5th to 2nd, missing the correct gate)

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
How far north did your territory go? CT by any chance?

A little story about ECM recording from my past. When I was the regional manger for BMW in West Penna I had a dealer owner call me that the convertible he was driving had gotten the top stuck 1/2 way up on the rollover studs that pop up when the car is about to rollover. A hookup to the ECM showed that at 12:30 AM the night before, ALL 4 WHEELS LEFT THE GROUND. And triggered the rollover studs behind the rear headrests.

When I presented the data to him he thought for a moment and suddenly semi yelled "My kid's prom was last night!!!" Sure enuf, the kid admitted to jumping a railroad track at 45 mph and launching the car.

I told the owner I would warranty the reset if he would ground the kid for 2 weeks...He wholeheartedly agreed....

The ECM records a lot of data...we also turned down warranty on M3's every so often when a person blew the engine as the ECM told us where and when the person missed a high RPM shift or downshifted into a gear not right for the conditions (like from 5th to 2nd, missing the correct gate)

·
Registered
557 Posts
I remember seeing a BMW Z3 with the front end smashed in at a high end repair shop when they first entered the market. The mgr remarked that BMW had been in to retrieve the "black box" after the owner claimed the "throttle stuck" causing him to crash.....of course the "box" told a different story!!!

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
How far north did your territory go? CT by any chance?
I had three territories for BMW before retiring: West Penna and west NY, South Texas (Hou and Austin) and South Florida (S of Orlando)...

But back to the OP, No car company rep ould look at the data in an ECM and refuse warranty for a few over revs during break in, they are looking for extreme operation - like no break in and massive full throttle starts in the first 500 miles...(like buying a car and taking it to the drags every other day...and again, they don't look for anything until something major breaks and the cust is claiming it was the car that broke (like in the z3 example above). This is all about keeping the car company out of court and assigning true fault. And again, get out of the conspiracy mode, I've seen the ECM data protect the customer, when something breaks like a tranny or crank, and the ECM shows sane operation, there is no question if it's warranty.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts