1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
I was hoping it would be in the 2015 C7, but no luck there. The C7 really needs it, based on all the complaints about how bad the nav is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
First, let me state I've not read a whole lot about carplay so I may be missing some critical info here. But here goes....

CarPlay making it into cars frightens me. Being someone who keeps cars for at least 10 years I worry enough about being able to fix/replace all the electronic gadgets already in cars. Now you toss in something like this, which requires an iphone, right? Now I'm locked into an iphone for as long as I keep the vehicle, in addition I could be locked into trying to keep a compatible iphone around for the life of the car. Who knows how long the lightning connector will be on new phones? And this comes from a reasonably happy iphone user.

I feel the unit should be a standalone unit, or at least have a solid set of base functionality to remain functional without a phone and for a very long time (maybe it does). I hope to have my next vette for about as long as my C4 has been around my family. Who knows where technology will be in another 30 years. I seriously doubt I'll have an iphone in 20+ year, or heck even in 10 years.

No conceptually on the other hand, better integration seems great, just needs to be far more standards based than proprietary so all smart phones will work well.

·
Registered
110 Posts
CarPlay making it into cars frightens me. Being someone who keeps cars for at least 10 years I worry enough about being able to fix/replace all the electronic gadgets already in cars. Now you toss in something like this, which requires an iphone, right? Now I'm locked into an iphone for as long as I keep the vehicle, in addition I could be locked into trying to keep a compatible iphone around for the life of the car. Who knows how long the lightning connector will be on new phones? And this comes from a reasonably happy iphone user.
You're "locked in" to the MyLink system as it is right now, which is much worse as it can't be updated with new functionality like a phone can be. Apple is clearly not going anywhere, and they're just getting started with carplay so I don't think that a 10 year expectation is out of the question, in terms of continuing compatibility. If a connector changes there will be an adapter (see: 30-pin to lightning).

And I'm pretty sure carplay doesn't take over the entire infotainment system at the expense of built in software, because not everybody has an iPhone, so there will always be built in functionality. But when you get stuck with a crappy nav system, there's nothing you can do without something like carplay, at least in the context of the built in head unit.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's a demo of CarPlay in a Chevy Spark. I noticed on the menu of CarPlay that MyChevrolet is one of the apps that allows you to use the proprietary system by Chevy if you don't have access to Apple's Carplay. Check it out.
GDP - Viral Player-Default

·
Registered
110 Posts
Great. The cheapest car in GM line has this and we have Onstar and my link. In 2014, this is pandora and a crappy Nav system tied to Onstar D&C plan.

·
Registered
579 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I don't want any of it.

·
Registered
2019 Elkhart Lake Blue 2LT Grand Sport
41 Posts
I agree 53Vette. It's just more electronics to become distracted with when we all should be paying attention to driving !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts