Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was just reading over on Automotive News about the potential price gouging that will accompany the Stingray. We all know that the guy next to us is foaming just as hard at the mouth for the new Stingray, but how much are you going to have to pay for it. I know that there are many here who have their orders in already, so my question to them is, "Do you have all the faith in your dealership to not nudge that agreed upon price up a hair?

Mike Colias said:
The Stringray launch offers especially fertile ground for dealership gouging, given the sports car's fervent fan base, critical acclaim for the redesigned model and the likelihood of tight supplies early on. The Stingray's base price is $51,995 for the coupe and $56,995 for the convertible, which won't arrive until late in the year. Both prices include freight.

Research firm IHS Automotive expects General Motors to produce 12,000 units this year and 30,000 next year. More of the cars than usual likely will be earmarked for overseas as GM seeks to build the Corvette brand globally.

A GM spokesman wouldn't confirm production details and said the automaker can't control prices that dealers charge.

Coughlin Chevrolet in Pataskala, Ohio, near Columbus, is putting a priority on customer loyalty by charging list price, says Rick Conti, the store's Corvette sales manager. Coughlin, one of the nation's top Corvette sellers, already has nearly 100 Stingray orders and expects to sell an additional 75 during the 2014 model year, Conti says.

"Guys who go above sticker -- that's a one-shot deal," says Conti, whose e-mail signature reads "Rick Corvette Conti." "These are customers who you're going to see again, and they'll remember that. I'm looking at the bigger picture."

A manager at a Chevy dealership in the West, who spoke on condition that his store not be identified, says he will sell his initial Stingrays for thousands above the list price. He says mystery shoppers dispatched by his dealership into rival Chevy stores routinely have been quoted prices of $10,000 to $20,000 above list.

Managers at his store have decided on markups half the size of the competition's. He figures the store can please zealous shoppers by helping them be among the nation's first Stingray owners, but at a lower price than rivals are offering.

"If the competition is charging $15,000 above," the manager says, "we'll charge $7,500."
Read more: Corvette sellers weigh quick profit vs. long-term loyalty

·
Administrator
16,285 Posts
I have complete faith in my dealer to hold the deal that we shook on including both with the Salesperson and GM, and further confirmed once my order progressed to 3000. I have never had it any different in my 50 years of buying new cars including several high demand first run automobiles similar to the C7. My entire acquisition will be the focus of an upcoming article that covers my experience from initial discussions with my dealer to my picking up my car at the Museum and driving it back home.

Interestingly I also believe I know who the dealer in your posted quote was since they gave me the same spiel- I mean literally the exact words in the quote. Not once but twice and well after I had my order in at my dealer and had told him such- he kept calling me. I can assure you that he is blowing smoke. He is exemplary of a really poor salesperson who does not care at all for repeat, loyal customers. He provides misleading information and does his dealership a disservice. We happen to have a large community of car enthusiasts here and many are members of multiple car clubs, active on many car forums. We communicate well and expose these types of poor salespeople. By the way, his "performance" is backed up by the fact he sells fewer Corvettes than his competitors. :cool:

·
Registered
758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is quite interesting! Small world it is.

When you get your article done, you should post it up, and perhaps we can feature it right here on the StingrayForums.com News Section, and spread it around on the social networks if you like! :)

·
Administrator
16,285 Posts
That is quite interesting! Small world it is.

When you get your article done, you should post it up, and perhaps we can feature it right here on the StingrayForums.com News Section, and spread it around on the social networks if you like! :)
Thanks, that would be great. It is still a few months off with an anticipated October build. :cool:

·
Registered
219 Posts
My dealer wanted to charge $5k over msrp. I told them unless they sell it to me at msrp I'm going to place order elsewhere. The manager called the owner and got approval to sell it at msrp. I placed order with deposit and GOT IT IN WRITING. I can't emphasize enough get it in writing. I had them send me copy of actual order, deposit and what price they're selling vehicle at.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My dealer wanted to charge $5k over msrp. I told them unless they sell it to me at msrp I'm going to place order elsewhere. The manager called the owner and got approval to sell it at msrp. I placed order with deposit and GOT IT IN WRITING. I can't emphasize enough get it in writing. I had them send me copy of actual order, deposit and what price they're selling vehicle at.
Exactly how my dealer and I did it. Nicely said.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I actually purchased (put a down payment) the Stingray at MSRP. I did go to several other dealerships who were charging up to $7,000 over MSRP. I just walked out. Now they are calling to see if I want to negotiate. When told that I purchased at MSRP, they act surprised.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Ridiculous. My dealer in Daytona is the largest in the Southest US. They decided long ago that they would not put a market adjustment on top of the sticker price. Folks who know this dealership said that they made a vein attempt at doing so when a prior generation was produced. There are many, many dealers who will not pull the market adjustment BS. Take your business elsewhere, regardless of dealer location. Make your delivery a day or overnight trip if necessary. At this point in the product cycle, MSRP is expected. There are those on this forum who are pontificating on pricing, thinking cars are a ripoff, and trying to get "deals". I was in the auto biz and, believe me, there are no rich car sales. Dealer invoices generally run 7-8% below MRSP. That's unreasonable? Heck no. Sure, when a vehicle product life is past it's initial phase, prices are certainly negotiable. That's not the case with the latest gen of the Vette. I'm not rich, by any means, and I usually buy vehicles at cost or lower (especially when I was in the biz). This will not be case with my C7. Personally, I think MSRP is a fair price for the intial launch.

·
Administrator
16,285 Posts
Ridiculous. My dealer in Daytona is the largest in the Southest US. They decided long ago that they would not put a market adjustment on top of the sticker price. Folks who know this dealership said that they made a vein attempt at doing so when a prior generation was produced. There are many, many dealers who will not pull the market adjustment BS. Take your business elsewhere, regardless of dealer location. Make your delivery a day or overnight trip if necessary. At this point in the product cycle, MSRP is expected. There are those on this forum who are pontificating on pricing, thinking cars are a ripoff, and trying to get "deals". I was in the auto biz and, believe me, there are no rich car sales. Dealer invoices generally run 7-8% below MRSP. That's unreasonable? Heck no. Sure, when a vehicle product life is past it's initial phase, prices are certainly negotiable. That's not the case with the latest gen of the Vette. I'm not rich, by any means, and I usually buy vehicles at cost or lower (especially when I was in the biz). This will not be case with my C7. Personally, I think MSRP is a fair price for the intial launch.
Good attitude- I agree! :cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
I paid MSRP and wouldnt pay a dime more. Now if they had one sitting there on the showroom floor right now the way I wanted it I bet that me and many others would be willing to go above MSRP but they dont so not an issue!
D

·
Registered
541 Posts
I actually purchased (put a down payment) the Stingray at MSRP. I did go to several other dealerships who were charging up to $7,000 over MSRP. I just walked out. Now they are calling to see if I want to negotiate. When told that I purchased at MSRP, they act surprised.
Good stuff. You're right, they ACTED surprised.

·
Registered
132 Posts
If anyone has purchased between dealers invoice and MSRP then you are lucky. Most dealers in my area are at MSRP. Don't know of any that are going above and beyond within a hundred miles from me.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I conversed with a dealer in an online "Chat" and was told that they will be selling some 2014s above MSRP, and that they would "consider" selling others at MSRP. When I asked what was to be considered, I was told that they don't want to- (sell at MSRP) -but that they will sell a few that way. Seems like the pricing will all level out when the customers stop drooling.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Anymore dealers can,t get by with charging over list.Also GM and other co.pricing structure is so low it doesn,t let the dealer discount like they did years ago.

·
Premium Member
734 Posts
just saw you shared this article:cool:....Thanks much, I am new to this forum and thankfully busy, but I do check in more and more each day

1 - 16 of 16 Posts