Stingray Corvette Forum banner

41 - 60 of 160 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the MSRC is worth the $$$ with the Z51?
Sorry, but the opinions on that are so varied and so strongly heartfelt, that there is no correct answer. For me personally, as I drive on lots of less than perfect roads, and do lots of "canyon carving" on mountainous drives, I definitely will be getting both, and next to HUD (standard on the 2LT package), those are the two most important options for me and my Corvette?

However, have friends who live in Florida, drive a lot of more-straight, good quality roads, and none of them bought MSRC, and none of them need it. The key issues are your roads "marginal", and whether you want to drive your car legally to its fullest on curvy roads. It you answered yes to both questions, you NEED Z-51 and MSRC. If you have good roads, and do not need killer corner-carving capabilities, do not spend your money on MSRC. In fact, as your StingRay will do 1.0G cornering in the base car without a single option, do you even need Z-51?

·
18,670 Posts
I respectfully disagree with the last comment. They will have leftover inventory come the model year switchover and at a minimum there will be model year closeout incentives. Remember, if they were building every one they sell there wouldn't be over 1000 C7's sitting in dealer stock right now and that number will continue to grow until dealers start passing on allocation and factory orders slow.
And I respectfully want to add two factors into this equation, that perhaps half of the 1,000 StingRays sitting on dealer lots and in showrooms are there right now because greedy dealers have marked them up at least $5K over list (and thankfully few of us fall for that foolishness). Watch those 500 have their prices dropped to only $2,500 over list, maybe even list, and watch how soon many of them are then gobbled up.

Second, we are experiencing, in 2/3's of this country, the worst weather in a decade, sometimes in that region's recorded weather history. Many folks in those climates do not buy Corvettes until Spring has sprung, and watch how fast they go out the door when it is 70 degrees in that 2/3's of the country (compared to today's cold and snow).

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
On one hand, I can't blame GM for wanting to make more money. After all, that is the point of their business.

On the other hand, I am not a fan of them doing it just because they can.

I guess what really gets me is that there seems to be no indication that their costs have gone up, yet they make this move. As such, it seems solely based on extracting as much profit as possible, just because they expect the demand to remain high. Therefore, to me, it just seems greedy. I know, making money is their goal. Okay. Nevertheless, this mid-year increase just leaves me seeing more greed than need.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I apologize if this has already been posted, but it appears that these new prices are the actual prices that GM has planned to sell the car at all along. They only kept the prices down initially for marketing/promotional reasons. Here is the exact quote from Dave, a sales representative at Kerbeck Corvette:

"This price increase has nothing to do with rebates. This is the price that they thought the car should sell at but they wanted to get a big splash in the press for an incredible car for under $52,000. It was great marketing but the demand can definitely justify the price increase at this point so they did it. Also, if they decide to raise the price in 2015, the increase will be judge off of these new base prices, not the original which would like a much larger jump. Again, great marketing!"

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
From a supply/demand perspective, it makes perfect sense. However, supply/demand doesn't always equate to how much profit is required for an honest payment. Let me give an example from something I found out this week.

My wife booked a vacation to several of the islands in French Polynesia for this summer. Because of that, I am now aware of some prices in the region. For example, the cost of a boat ride from Tahiti to Moorea is about $15 USD/person. The distance for that boat ride is about 17 miles. Cool.

However, on Bora Bora (about 150 miles from Moorea, so the cost of fuel is about the same) the cost of a boat ride from the Bora Bora airport to the resort is $120 USD/person for a 3 mile ride. Wow! Why? They have a captive audience, so they can. It is supply and demand at its finest. Is it a fair price? Not in a million years. Does it work with supply and demand? Apparently it does there for that resort.

I am sure GM was not losing money on the StingRays this model year. So do they need more money than they were making? Probably not. Can they demand more than they were making? Yes, they can.

But it still comes off as greedy just because one can based on supply and demand.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Actually, it's 5 months until the switchover and at least 6 months before the first 2015's are on dealer lots.
Yes that is correct, however it is only about 3 months until the dealers can start actually placing orders and the pricing will have to be in place and known. That means the current price increase will have occurred probably 3 months or less before the actual 2015 price increase, assuming there is one, which is quite likely.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Yes that is correct, however it is only about 3 months until the dealers can start actually placing orders and the pricing will have to be in place and known. That means the current price increase will have occurred probably 3 months or less before the actual 2015 price increase, assuming there is one, which is quite likely.
Yes, but look at it from GMs perspective:
1) the car is exceeding sales expectations.
2) People are willing to pay more as is proven by dealers who are marking up the car
3) Random dealer mark-ups actually erode brand trust and thus brand value by making some buyers feel they were jipped.
4) At 2-3000 Stingrays a month times $2000 bump plus half those with Z51 for an additional $3200 bump GM can recognize an additional $10MM in revenue.
5) The market will more easily accept two small bumps than one big one.
6) By doing this now they set/maintain the precedent for doing it on future new releases which perpetuates the rush early demand to get them before the price increases which builds market momentum and ultimately sells more cars.

While we all would like to think they are building and selling these cars for our benefit the reality is they are in this business for their benefit. They have a responsibility to their shareholders to maximize profits and as a publicly held company that means THIS QUARTER.

Also, even if you are a loyal Vette enthusiast getting the short end of this particular pricing adjustment, the silver lining in this for you is that this ups the profitability of the model which enhances it's probability of being around longer.

MrG 69
Soon to be the proud owner of my 3rd Vette, a CGM/Kalahari 7sp Z51 2LT Coupe w NPP, CF Mirrors/Spoiler and BC Roof
** Sent from mobile using Corvette Stingray Forum **

·
Registered
502 Posts
My $0.02

* Not surprised...I was expecting the increase on 12/31/13 - they held the line for 2 months longer than I thought they would....

* If you were holding a garage/yard sale, and had a "high-demand" item you wished to sell, you would (logically) price it for what you think the market would support....

* The bottom line is simple - are you willing to pay what the seller is willing to sell for?

Ever been on a flight and learned the person next to you paid less for their ticket than you did for yours = crappy feeling; if they paid more than you, then you get a sense of satisfaction...but in both cases, you had the decision to buy or not buy the ticket....the consequences of not going outweighed the price of the ticket in your mind....

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
And I respectfully want to add two factors into this equation, that perhaps half of the 1,000 StingRays sitting on dealer lots and in showrooms are there right now because greedy dealers have marked them up at least $5K over list (and thankfully few of us fall for that foolishness). Watch those 500 have their prices dropped to only $2,500 over list, maybe even list, and watch how soon many of them are then gobbled up.

Second, we are experiencing, in 2/3's of this country, the worst weather in a decade, sometimes in that region's recorded weather history. Many folks in those climates do not buy Corvettes until Spring has sprung, and watch how fast they go out the door when it is 70 degrees in that 2/3's of the country (compared to today's cold and snow).
Kind of like this thief in Tacoma, Wa.

Screen Shot 2014-03-04 at 7.59.52 AM.png

That's at least a $15K markup and they want people to think they are discounting LOL

However, I think there are more cars in dealer stock regardless of the few idiot dealers thinking they can rape their customers than GM expected. The car is a hit, no doubt about it but the initial rush has passed, they now have to "sell" the car and that means working with numbers, discounting and competing for business. It changes the dynamic.

Reactions: ALF01

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The first dealership, my local, wanted MSRP plus a 2% advertising mark up. Even showed me paperwork on another truck that had it (the 2% advertising fee/markup) and insisted it was standard thing to do.
Then I joined this forum and realized that I would not likely get a car from them as I was not convinced they had an allocation. Switched to Kerbeck, paid only MSRP for a Z51 and will actually get the car in April.

While capitalism has some flaws,
It is better than any other economic system tried by other countries.

So do what I did, let your money do the talking. You have the ultimate power as the consumer.

Reactions: jsvette

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
The first dealership, my local, wanted MSRP plus a 2% advertising mark up. Even showed me paperwork on another truck that had it and insisted it was standard thing to do.
Then I joined this forum and realized that I would not likely get a car from them as u was not convinced they had an allocation. Switched to Kerbeck, paid only MSRP for a Z51 and will actually get the car in April.

While capitalism has some flaws u
It is better than any other economic system tried by other countries.

So do what I did, let your money do the talking. You have the ultimate power as the consumer.
Well done Tom0021! Congratulations on your order :cool:

Reactions: Tom0021

·
Registered
211 Posts
Great marketing strategy, indeed. However, it definitely adds insult to injury. They made no effort to voice that initial pricing was going to only be promotional pricing, there are several of us with deposits down on a 14 with dealers that aren't yet a submitted order (I ordered mine back in December from Criswell, but I'm not even imputed into GM's system) due to poor planning on GM's part, and now they want to increase the price:

"Hey, we can't deliver several orders, and we intentionally made no effort to make it known prices would increase shortly after release, but let's go ahead and raise prices anyway."

I'm not going to change my order because of this, but a move like this given the circumstances is just insulting. I'll see what my boy Furman can do for me, but I'm not crossing my fingers :/

·
Registered
502 Posts
Great marketing strategy, indeed. However, it definitely adds insult to injury. They made no effort to voice that initial pricing was going to only be promotional pricing, there are several of us with deposits down on a 14 with dealers that aren't yet a submitted order (I ordered mine back in December from Criswell, but I'm not even imputed into GM's system) due to poor planning on GM's part, and now they want to increase the price:

"Hey, we can't deliver several orders, and we intentionally made no effort to make it known prices would increase shortly after release, but let's go ahead and raise prices anyway."

I'm not going to change my order because of this, but a move like this given the circumstances is just insulting. I'll see what my boy Furman can do for me, but I'm not crossing my fingers :/
stanton - I feel your pain, but I'm curious why they would not at least input your order? You're protected at 1100 status, which any dealer can get you even if their allocation is uncertain. I knew from past Corvette purchases & price increases that this might happen, so I made certain I understood at what point I was price-protected when I ordered my Stingray.

Again, not "blaming" you, but just curious as I see no downside to having an order on the books as it were....

·
Registered
10,553 Posts
Dealers with a lot of people on their waiting lists may not input the orders until they are ready to assign an allocation. Why? Because they don't want to put in any extra work for an order which may get canceled.

I am not sure, but I think I may be in exactly the same situation as stanton. I put my order in in December, got my place in line, but never got a RXXXXX order code. They may have me in the system, they may not. I don't know. If not, I may wait for a 2015. Yes, I will pay even more for that, but at least I will feel like it is fair (and get the PDR, too).

·
Registered
118 Posts
I ordered in January, paid my deposit and received my RXXXX# order number so I can track my order in the system. However, since I am 4th on the dealer's list, my order won't be accepted for production likely until May or June.
Does anyone know for certain that the price increase will not affect the multitude of buyers who are in this same situation?
My dealer has not heard of a price increase yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
371 Posts
@mpd as long as your order status is at 1100 and above you will not be affected by the price increase. GM is supposed to announce the price increase today although I have not found on GM or chevrolet website it is coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
211 Posts
Just checked with Mike Furman at Criswell. I put my deposit down on 12/18/13 and I have not made it onto GMs ordering system yet. I am NOT protected from the price increase. Just a little frustrated.

This isn't a jab at Mike, as he has been pretty helpful and has always made himself available for me, but I feel that with a situation like mine, this is a cost the dealer should have to eat.

What can I do here? I've looked all over and can't find the exact car I want on a lot, and a 4 grand price hike for a car company that has yet to satisfy so many orders is the last thing I want to deal with. Had I know prices were going to go up, I would have ordered sooner or demanded that my order go into the system.

A bare bones c7 at 52k on a lot looks awfully appealing right about now):

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum mobile app

Sent from my iPhone

41 - 60 of 160 Posts