Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to store my 2015 Corvette stingray in a heated garage for the six month winter up in Minnesota. I just put on new A/S3+ tires. The tire salesman suggested I put the car on jackstands during the storage so that the tires wouldn’t get flat spots. I also know there are products out there that you can roll the car onto to keep the tires from flat spotting. Is this necessary? What do you think?

·
Administrator
15,906 Posts
I don't think you want to leave the wheels/tires suspended for 6 months. There are a number of wheel pads that are purported to avoid flat spots on stored wheels. Since you said the garage is going to be heated, my preference would be to increase the tire pressure and then after adjusting back to recommended cold tire pressure, when you take it out in the spring, drive slowly until the tires are warmed up.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Had Vettes in Upstate NY for YEARS. They sat outside (covered and on a Battery Tender Plus) on blacktop every winter. Made sure they were inflated to "warm" running pressure and put it away. Adjusted the pressure when I woke it up in the Spring and drove it. Don't make things more complicated than they need be.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,225 Posts
Yup, just add some more air. I stored my son's C4 at my place for a year while he was in the sandbox, kept on the tender, added about 5 - 6 pounds. When he came to get it, started right up and no flat spots.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Flatspotting on modern tires just isn't a problem. If you're worried, just inflate the tires to maybe 40 psi and don't worry. But any out of roundness you might notice if you just leave them at normal pressure will disappear within a mile or two.

And as jsvette implied, suspensions aren't designed to spend long periods of time extended.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Then spend fifty of what you saved on a Battery Tender Plus. It's NOT a battery charger as you know them. It's more of a battery "maintainer" if you will. If I'm not going to running my car for a week or more, it goes on the Tender.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,225 Posts
Then spend fifty of what you saved on a Battery Tender Plus. It's NOT a battery charger as you know them. It's more of a battery "maintainer" if you will. If I'm not going to running my car for a week or more, it goes on the Tender.
I have 5 of those, two for sitting vehicles, 3 for the lawn equipment. Very reliable tool.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
I have 5 of those, two for sitting vehicles, 3 for the lawn equipment. Very reliable tool.
LOL - I hear ya. My needs have dwindled over the years but I used to have six. Now, I only need 4 so I have two spares. lol Can't beat 'em

·
Registered
31 Posts
I plan to store my 2015 Corvette stingray in a heated garage for the six month winter up in Minnesota. I just put on new A/S3+ tires. The tire salesman suggested I put the car on jackstands during the storage so that the tires wouldn’t get flat spots. I also know there are products out there that you can roll the car onto to keep the tires from flat spotting. Is this necessary? What do you think?
For many years I would go to Florida for the winter and leave a car in my northern garage for months. I recommend that you
1) increase the tire pressure by 10 lbs., and
2) get four small carpet remnants and drive the car so that the tires are on each of these.

·
Registered
402 Posts

·
Administrator
15,906 Posts
Get the car off the tires.. 😱
That is not recommended, if by getting the car off the tires you mean let the suspension dangle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like the others have said, do not store a vehicle with the suspension hanging. I am on my third Corvette and I always store them in the winter with about six extra PSI in the tires. They sit on concrete in my garage, hooked to a battery tender. So far, so good. Good luck. By the way, that was a good question.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
91 Posts
Get the car off the tires.. 😱
No, very bad move! Over inflate the tires, park on carpet if it makes you feel better, fill it with gas, put it on a Battery Tender Plus and FORGET about it until you wanna wake it up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
+1. Ever since I had my C6 and now C7, I've inflated the tires to a little over 40 PSI and drove them up onto a couple of sheets of thick folded cardboard. Never had a problem. The only problem I have encountered is forgetting to let the air out before the first drive in Spring. :sneaky:

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
632 Posts
Not to be redundant but here in Cold Winter Michigan, I clean her up, increase tire pressure to 36-38 psi, attach battery tender, tuck her in with cover on her, shed a tear, then say until we meet again in the spring and see ya later. Been my routine over the last 30 yrs for all four of my vettes that I've owned. Don't Overthink it and Overkill not needed!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts