Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
18,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sorry to bring it up, but winter will be upon some states in the next 45 days. As we know, all StingRay tires, especially Z-51's, are not designed for cold weather. Specifically, as quoted in Techlink, "The 2014 Corvette Stingray is equipped with Michelin® Pilot Super Sport® ZP run-flat summer-only tires. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires are unique and aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability in dry conditions."

For those who use their Corvettes as a winter daily driver, their is a tire size chart in the link below which shows current Michelin Alpin PA4 tire availability info. Thank you to Techlink and GM's Art Spong for their help!!! For those with the Z-51 package, Pirelli also has some winter SottoZero tires that would fit your StingRay.

For more info: 2014 Corvette Winter Tires

·
Registered
11 Posts
IF there is snow, ice or heavy rain in the winter I will use my truck. Otherwise my c7 is a daily driver all year round.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I purchased Michelin Pilot SPORT A/ S3's for my Z51. So far I have been very happy with them. They are not run flats, but, according to Michelin, the sideway f the tire is firm enough not to damage the wheel if a flat happens

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Sorry to bring it up, but winter will be upon some states in the next 45 days. As we know, all StingRay tires, especially Z-51's, are not designed for cold weather. Specifically, as quoted in Techlink, "The 2014 Corvette Stingray is equipped with Michelin® Pilot Super Sport® ZP run-flat summer-only tires. The Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires are unique and aggressively tuned to provide outstanding handling, grip and road-holding capability in dry conditions."

For those who use their Corvettes as a winter daily driver, their is a tire size chart in the link below which shows current Michelin Alpin PA4 tire availability info. Thank you to Techlink and GM's Art Spong for their help!!! For those with the Z-51 package, Pirelli also has some winter SottoZero tires that would fit your StingRay.

For more info: 2014 Corvette Winter Tires
Just want to clarify, there is no difference is the base (non-Z51) Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires characteristics and all the same cautions apply.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in Western Washington, picked up my 3LT on December 13th. We've already had some sub-freezing temperatures here and of course, I have the Summer stock tires. I use my car year around and other than traction, is there any information regarding driving in cold weather with summer tires? Needless to say, I won't be commuting in snow or ice, but will expect to commute in cold weather. Any thoughts? I'd rather not change to winter tires unless there is risk.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hey Tom. Got it just in time for Christmas. Good Deal. I have the 3LT w/o the Z51 and the tires have done fine for me so far. You are right about the snow and ice. I drive another car on those days. But if it is just cold or rainy I drive it every day. I have had no issues. Just have to keep the foot from getting too heavy.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
I live in Western Washington, picked up my 3LT on December 13th. We've already had some sub-freezing temperatures here and of course, I have the Summer stock tires. I use my car year around and other than traction, is there any information regarding driving in cold weather with summer tires? Needless to say, I won't be commuting in snow or ice, but will expect to commute in cold weather. Any thoughts? I'd rather not change to winter tires unless there is risk.
Do you drive it in weather mode when it is cold? If you are going to drive in cold weather, maybe the weather mode is a good idea.

·
18,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As the summer tires have greatly diminished traction in cold weather, have seen a caution not to use the summer tires below 32 degrees -- even if the pavement is dry. If you were to get caught out unexpectedly, then the above suggested weather mode is excellent advice. If you are planning to drive your car day after day in cold weather, suggest winter tires.

All the preceding advice contains the regular car, but if you have the Z-51 model, its tires are susceptible to cracking in cold weather and as their composition is designed for "pavement stickiness" when cornering hard in warm and hot weather, those tires, conversely, become really hard and lose much of their cornering and stopping ability when really cold. Therefore, for a Z-51 model, the above caution is doubled or tripled, not just for your safety but to prevent cracking of your tires' rubber and other compounds. Notice you live in western Washington, where winter rains and not-extreme cold is the norm, so if you have another vehicle for use those rare very cold days, and use lots of caution in your StingRay for occasional very-cool weather use, you should be okay.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
What is the temperature below which the Z51 tires should not be driven to completely avoid cracking?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you both. I have been using the weather mode when it's wet. Really haven't had real concerns on traction so far, but I don't get on it when wet. I was somewhat worried that the cold weather would harm the tires in some way.

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Just want to clarify, there is no difference is the base (non-Z51) Michelin Pilot Super Sport ZP tires characteristics and all the same cautions apply.
I thought the same but came across this on Tirerack.

The Pilot Super Sport ZP (Zero Pessure) is Michelin’s Max Performance Summer run-flat tire originally developed for the 2014 Corvette Stingray. In addition to offering temporary extended mobility, Pilot Super Sport ZP tires also deliver world-class traction and handling in dry and wet conditions. However, like all summer tires, they are not intended to be driven in near-freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Because the Z51 Performance Package takes the Corvette Stingray to a more aggressive level of performance, Michelin has developed vehicle/size specific Pilot Super Sport ZP tires to permit fine-tuning features to match their vehicle application.
Vehicle Application Front Rear
Corvette Stingray P245/40ZR18 (93Y) P285/35ZR19 (99Y)
Corvette Stingray Z51 P245/35ZR19 (89Y) P285/30ZR20 (95Y)

Both versions employ an asymmetric tread design that features a low-void outboard shoulder for cornering while their notched center ribs and inboard shoulder promote high-speed performance in dry conditions. Wide circumferential grooves and lateral notches help channel water through the footprint to maintain wet traction. Sizes for the standard Corvette Stingray use a single tread rubber compound that blends dry traction, wet traction and tread life; while the sizes for Z51 equipped cars feature side-by-side tread compounds that deliver near-racing-slick dry grip and handling levels, without abandoning tread life and wet handling.

Both tires feature twin steel belts reinforced by spirally wound Twaron cord. The angles at which the steel belts are molded into each version have been tuned to balance performance and comfort. The steel belt angles used for the standard car emphasize ride and treadlife, while the angles used for the Z51 tires focus on increasing performance and at-the-limit handling.

Twaron is a polyamide cord that offers a lightweight, high-strength reinforcement above the steel belts to enhance high-speed handling, wear and durability. It is applied using Michelin FAZ Technology (Filament At Zero degrees) that allows Michelin engineers to tune tension and strength by winding the cord around the tire circumference much the same way fishing line is wound onto a fishing reel.

Michelin Zero Pressure Technology reinforces sidewalls by adding run-flat inserts that allow tires to temporarily carry the weight of the vehicle in the event a puncture results in complete loss of tire pressure. The Pilot Super Sport ZP is designed to allow Corvette drivers to continue their journey for up to 50 miles at up to 55 mph. Both tires feature asymmetric run-flat inserts and casing components designed to broaden tire performances by focusing distinct functions on the appropriate sidewall. Inboard sidewalls feature a more rigid insert that increases sidewall stability to provide the majority of run-flat capability, as well as to transfer torque during acceleration, braking and cornering. Outboard sidewalls feature a softer insert that increases sidewall flexibility to maintain footprint size when cornering, as well as to enhance ride quality and tread life.

The front/rear sizes of the standard Corvette Stingray are the same as those used on many C6 Corvettes, they can be installed in sets on the earlier cars.
While i don't think the difference equates to a higher risk of cracking for the Z51 tire the severe cold temperature warning isn't something people should toy with. Don't go by anecdotal evidence, heed the warnings the engineers have placed on these and most max / extreme performance summer ONLY tires.

Here's a good read that explains what could happen: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=220

Don't want to believe it, then proceed at your own risk. I've seen DOT "R" spec tires crack at temps as high as 28 degrees and the max performance tires of today out perform the DOT "R" spec tires of just 10 years ago.

·
18,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have talked with two different dealership folks that separately attended GM's 1 1/2 day StingRay track and classroom training sessions. Both said that the specific temperature tire warning issued by GM's personnel, concerning among other things tire compound cracking, were emphasized over and over as being much more likely to occur with the Z-51 tires, but cold weather cautions applied to ALL StingRay tires

However, as mjw930 has noted, both regular StingRay AND Z-51 tires are rated summer use tires -- and driving caution is imperative the lower the temperatures drop. I once drove my Z06 in 26 degree weather and will not do that again due to greatly do promised traction and including much, much less stopping ability. Reminder: A 2014 Corvette is a "torque monster," and the StingRay has 98% (or 99% if it has the NPP option) the torque of a C6 Z06.

·
Registered
10,217 Posts
Hum... So don't use below 40 F, and don't move below 20 F. Living in the SF Bay area, there are only a few days per year which get down below 50, and fewer still below 40. Nevertheless, this is great to know.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sounds like it'll be like driving my SSR. Get into the boost in any gear below 4th in the cold and be ready to spin the tires and have fun.

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Ouch. That was a pretty hard hit. Both airbags blown. Yet the majority of the body panels still appear to be lined up which is impressive for the asymmetric front end hit it took.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts