Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..and what a difference!!!!

The MGW shifter is a solid heavy metal, precise smooth shifting unit...
compared it to the stock GM unit...well, not really a comparison, because
there is none...

The Taiwan cheapo GM unit is inferior by an order of magnitude...looks cheap, shifts crappy...notchy...wierd gates try to throw you into 4th when you are at 5k in 5th gear, trying to shift to 6th...godforbid you actually dump the clutch without looking!!!

Anyway, my new MGW makes me smile...shifts "click,click" just like pulling back the hammer on a high end Kimber .45...

The shifter is my only complaint about the new C7...glad it was easy to fix....
Love this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I'm planning on getting the MGW this spring. I'm going to email them and see if they might come up to the Charlotte auto fair in early April. I'm not unhappy with the stock shifter, but I liked what I saw and read on their website, as well as what I have read on here. Coupeguyz51 drop me a pm if you have any comments or suggestions on the install or further comments on the comparison between the MGW and the stock shifter.

·
Registered
135 Posts
ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1410097560.803862.jpg I really liked the old C2/C3 Muncie shifter feel..the throws were long but it clicked into gear so well. The C7 shifter gets a bit lost and seems to not engage as well. I would like to get one also if it cleans up the shifts.

·
18,670 Posts
"Coupeguyz51," always had a unpleasant, almost rattling, full throttle sound from my Callaway short shifter for my C6 (still fantastic unit, well worth it); do you have increased sound coming from the MGW shifter box area please?

·
Registered
456 Posts
"Coupeguyz51," always had a unpleasant, almost rattling, full throttle sound from my Callaway short shifter for my C6 (still fantastic unit, well worth it); do you have increased sound coming from the MGW shifter box area please?
All ears here too.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I did not notice any additional noise after installation of the MGW shifter. The shifter comes with 2 pieces of Dynamat sound insulation. One piece is applied to the torque tube and the other piece to the tunnel area next to the driver seat. Dynamat has an extremely sticky adhesive which immediately sticks to anything it touches. Practice installing a paper cutout to the size of the Dynamat first to get your body and hand position correct before attempting to install the Dynamat.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Adorable girls! and yes, the MGW will clean up your shifts....their video install instructions make it simple if you are at all mechanically inclined, and if not, only takes a couple of hours of a mechanic's time....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not that I have noticed.....

·
Registered
262 Posts
..and what a difference!!!!

The MGW shifter is a solid heavy metal, precise smooth shifting unit...
compared it to the stock GM unit...well, not really a comparison, because
there is none...

The Taiwan cheapo GM unit is inferior by an order of magnitude...looks cheap, shifts crappy...notchy...wierd gates try to throw you into 4th when you are at 5k in 5th gear, trying to shift to 6th...godforbid you actually dump the clutch without looking!!!

Anyway, my new MGW makes me smile...shifts "click,click" just like pulling back the hammer on a high end Kimber .45...

The shifter is my only complaint about the new C7...glad it was easy to fix....
Love this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does the MGW have the same shift
pattern?

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
135 Posts
ImageUploadedByCorvette Stingray Forum1411837683.941062.jpg MGW shifter is installed and it is a big change. The shifts are short and crisp with little effort. The shifter clicks through the gears and they are much easier to locate. I was concerned about noise and vibration, but There is not a noticeable difference. Rev Match and MGW make for good times..

·
Registered
306 Posts
View attachment 13466 MGW shifter is installed and it is a big change. The shifts are short and crisp with little effort. The shifter clicks through the gears and they are much easier to locate. I was concerned about noise and vibration, but There is not a noticeable difference. Rev Match and MGW make for good times..
Nice! Nothing better than effortless efficient & accurate shifting results... and that's a nice Z51 build you have there. NRB on comp reds w/ black wheels & red calipers... sweet! :cool:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Anyone know an installer for a MGW shifter in the south Florida area?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just received my MGW shifter for my C7 but there is no offset on the gear shift shaft as shown on the pictures - has anyone else seen this? Save the Wave.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I just received my MGW shifter for my C7 but there is no offset on the gear shift shaft as shown on the pictures - has anyone else seen this? Save the Wave.
When I was looking into this a couple of months ago I read the entire MGW web site and it said on there someplace that the offset was not offered on the C7 because of a clearance issue with the dash or something like that. After reading everything that keeps getting posted I'm getting pretty excited about getting one. Modshack and I discussed it a few weeks ago and he had one in his C6 a couple of years ago and said it was amazing.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks phantom for the update, it's raining in austin today, seems like a good time to do the install

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ah-oh - the teardrop on the convertible needs to be removed to get the console out - anyone got ideas?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts