Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious just how many owners store their Corvette due to the their state's winter. 馃槂

Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
Not at all, live on the Mid-Atlantic coast, get some cold weather and a little snow.........but, even on a bright sunny cold day, I'm scootin' around in it.

Administrator
Not here in the desert either, though in 15+ years had snow twice that only lasted 1/2 a day. However, with the OEM tires was reluctant to drive on mornings where temps were near freezing due to the significant reduction in traction. Now that I have Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ ZP all around, that should be less of a concern.

Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
Here is Michigan, right now she only has winter storage coverage Comprehensive coverage only.

Late November early December - April she鈥檚 in storage! However, today I was tempted to drive her because the roads have been free of new snow for 7-10 days and had some good sunny days around 30-40 degrees.

I also have non run flats but I was being lazy and didn鈥檛 want to remove cover and battery tender and call insurance agent to add full coverage for a day to drive it.

Registered
Yup, I keep going until the temperatures are too cold or the snow flies and the roads are a mess here in the Northeast. I鈥檝e driven as late as Christmas day a few years ago when it was 60掳 but it generally goes off the road in December I am back by April. I鈥檝e definitely gotten less precious about it the last few years so I鈥檓 willing to go out as soon as the weather doesn鈥檛 dampen the fun.

Registered
I drive it whenever I want as long as the temperature is above 40, and after we have had a hard rain since the last time brine was put down on the roads. Usually there are only a handful of days per year here which fail to meet those criteria.

Registered
2014 Premier Edition
When I lived in upstate NY I sure did - covered and on a Battery Tender Plus, full tank of gas.... but since moving to SW Florida I sure don't. :D

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
The weather has really been mild the last 5 days. I could drive it but I would have to clean it all over again. Too old for that. Cheers.

Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
The weather has really been mild the last 5 days. I could drive it but I would have to clean it all over again. Too old for that. Cheers.
I don't mind cleaning mine, not a chore for me, gets me out in the garage, crank up the tunes on the audio system and wipe away, plus it's some exercise I can use.

Registered
Mine get stored at the first real forecast of a snow that will cause a ton of salt on the roads. Then they sit until sometime usually in March, when the snow is gone, and we've had a good rain to wash away the salt. This year, put the C7 up on the lift about Thanksgiving, and drove the C8 the day before Christmas. They've been "plugged in to their tenders" since.

Registered
Im in East Tn, near the mtns. and we get a smatterin of crappy weather this time of year. I do like someone else mentioned: sunny day, previous rain that washed away brine coat on the roads, and off i go. Because of the tires, I take it easy and dont start cuttin curves or anything that will potentially end up sliding around with no traction (<40 deg) and cause a wreck

Registered
Here in West Michigan, I usually store it but we've had some wacky winters.
This photo is from Jan. 25, 2018:

And April 15 of the same year:

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
I should have said the roads are full of sand and such because of the icy conditions we had earlier. I am not ready for the "home" yet. Far from it!:cool:

Registered
Of course you could be like this hero 馃榿馃憤. Since he lives not far from me, I鈥檓 left without excuse.

Registered
I live in the Northeast so I cover the car early to mid-December and is uncovered as early in April as I dare. I am a little particular, at my office, people know it's not going to rain if I am driving my Vette. I learned the hard way in the 1990s. I was driving my Vette with an inch or two of snow on the ground. I turned into my driveway that slopes slightly down. As I approach the garage the car is not stopping. I thought for sure I will go right through the garage door. I locked up the brakes, put the car in reverse, and spun the wheels. It worked. I stopped inches from the garage door. Now I don't even think about taking the car out during the winter.

Registered
I have always stored mine in the winter. I keep it in the garage, covered and on a battery tender. Now if the weather is nice and dry with temps above 50, I will take it for a drive.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts