Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum. What is everyone's opinion on a straight pipe exhaust? Any sound files available? Also, I am looking at the flomaster system.

Thanks
Ryan

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
Which is it, straight pipe or flowmaster mufflers? They aren't even close to the same thing.

Straight pipe, meaning cutting all the cats, mufflers and resonators out of the system will sound like crap, perform like crap and get you tickets everywhere you travel. Resist the urge, this isn't a '69 Chevelle.....

A flowmaster system will probably sound OK until the car slips into V4 mode, at which point it will sound like a John Deere tractor. It will also probably drone in the cabin like crazy too.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Honestly the performance exhaust on the corvette was worth every penny. The sound is managed incredible well. You get the loud and full V8 sound when you step on it, but there's no drone at freeway speeds. It's a sports car, and sounds like one :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is it possible to do a muffler only delete and use straight pipes instead while still leaving the resonator instact? I wasnt sure as im new and i have an npp system ?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum. What is everyone's opinion on a straight pipe exhaust? Any sound files available? Also, I am looking at the flomaster system.

Thanks
Ryan
I replaced the mufflers only with straight pipes on my 1996 LT4 coupe. I liked the sound at all speeds. My 2014 Z51 coupe has NPP and I would never touch it. NPP does it all for me.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Here's my Coupe / NPP Exhaust / 7 MT
Don't forget factory stuff is Stainless and lasts a long time, some aftermarket stuff isn't nearly as good (despite what their sale pitch says)
If you do decide to change your exhaust save every piece / bolt / nut / bracket / etc. so you can put it back if you ever want to or if you sell the car, original sells quickly and for more money.
I hope this helps.

Diff Mufflers 1.2.jpg Engine F Cradle 1.4.jpg Full Under F to R 1.3.jpg NPP Diff 1.1.jpg Trans Diff 1.4.jpg Under NPP to front.JPG

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
378 Posts
I just wish it had a more aggressive sounding camshaft in it, as the one in it sounds like a 4x4 truck.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great pics, thank you very much. Any word on where the resonator/cat conv. is to be replaced by an x-pipe? Also will not using the rear flaps from the npp throw engine codes if they are not used in the staight pipes? Please advise back on any news, thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts