Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple weeks ago a very strange sound started coming from the passenger side, I have not been able to isolate it, not from lack of trying. It starts up about 1 minute after starting the car and is fairly loud, to me it sounds like an electric shaver or similar buzzing sound. If I open my driver door it immediatly stops, but starts again if I shut the door...same with the passenger door, open it and it stops, close it and it starts! I have tried to climb over the console with my head low to the seat but my body wont let me! My wife sat there while we opened and closed the doors and she could not isolate it...but definitely not coming from the door speaker. What could this possibly be?? Also it will go away when the revs go up a bit from idle. Just very weird as I am convinced it must be electronic in nature due to the doors syncing together??? At a loss here....

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
I recall some individuals had a buzzing sound that ended up being the right (passenger) seat belt vibrating against the side of the passenger seat (when it is not being worn by the passenger).

·
Registered
847 Posts
I recall some individuals had a buzzing sound that ended up being the right (passenger) seat belt vibrating against the side of the passenger seat (when it is not being worn by the passenger).
I agree with Jeff--I had the same issue. As a test, I fastened the passenger side seatbelt and it stopped. I eventually put a piece of the soft side of Velcro on the hard plastic of the seat where the buckle would sometimes come to rest and rattle against it. --Bob

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I already tried that, it is not that but thanks for the possible solution...I think I need to borrow my daughters stethoscope and listen around the lower footwell/passenger door area, just cant fine tune exactly where it comes from yet. Just very strange that it stops when cracking open either door, then starts up again...actually as loud as an electric razor on steroids!

·
Administrator
15,091 Posts
Yep, I already tried that, it is not that but thanks for the possible solution...I think I need to borrow my daughters stethoscope and listen around the lower footwell/passenger door area, just cant fine tune exactly where it comes from yet. Just very strange that it stops when cracking open either door, then starts up again...actually as loud as an electric razor on steroids!
Have you tried isolating it by having your C7 running and then shutting off the radio (audio), then shutting off the AC and fan, separately, then both together?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will try that later today, but pretty sure everything is off whenever I start it up. Will do that checklist though, it cant hurt. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the exact same problem a year ago. Most suggestions didn't help with my problem. So I took the door apart and found the problem. Even though most forum found it hard to believe, the problem was with
the speaker in the passenger side door. It appeared to be caused by water getting into the door. I'm attaching a photo to help you see where the problem probably is. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
HBvetteman: Forgot to tell you how I fixed it. First, even though you say it isn't the speaker, my money is on the fact that it is. My wife and I went exactly through what you went through. Mine was worse when it was idling, and almost went away at speed.
I used silicone caulk to fix the problem, let it sit overnight before re-installing it, and I've never had any buzzing since. Good luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry I have not replied, but currently doing a big home improvement job. Today FINALLY I got less stupid and tried the "listen with tubing to my ear to isolate it" and YES is is coming from the SPEAKER just as you said. Thank you SO MUCH as it was just weird. I will be fixing it this weekend. Your are 100% correct. Gets really LOUD when first idle is up, then goes away under power, etc. So now on we go. Happy Holiday to you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a similar sound coming from the passenger side.
I finally isolated it to the passenger door panel.
When I put press my hand on it, it goes away.
I suspect I just need to tighten the panel bolt, which sits right inside the hand rail on the door...single bolt.
Usually happened during cold weather, not during the summer...which I suspect may be simply due to the expansion and self tightening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Here is photo of the problem speaker, obvious water damage delaminated the small inner speaker from the main one. Notice the rust all around the inner speaker, the entire border had come away on nearly half of the speaker, and startup in the morning would make it rattle crazy loud...much more than one would believe! Good old clear silicone all around it, problem solved, noise is gone. IMG_3341.JPG IMG_3339.JPG IMG_3340.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts