Stingray Corvette Forum banner

161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
CalTec, it does not surprise me that it's coming back. I have driven several k miles since my new diff and tc flush and the problem was gone 100% at first, then I have had a few faint warbles. I consider the total effect of the repair have been 90% effective. The truth is, I gave up on that remaining 10%, she's not going to surgery again. I did not want to open the Pandora box again, but since you mentioned it.

Oh, and I can't tell for sure but my understanding is that the 2.73's don't have the issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Manta, after a long drive with the head mechanic the decision was made to have me put more miles on the car and see if the noise gets louder before he calls Detroit. He is not keen on tearing the car apart again unless he has to and I agree with that decision. It sucks that this particular differential has problems and the other ratios do not. Almost makes me want to trade for a GS or a stingray with a manual trans. Oh well time will tell if I am making the right decision to keep this car or trade for one with a different transmission or one with the e differential. Have a Happy Turkey Day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Contact the BBB via the web site in your little warranty booklet. I had a friend in N.C. who just had his car replaced and they never touched his rear end. They ordered one to replace and he told them he had no confidence this would fix it and going through the BBB GM replaced the car. IF they do replace the diff. again I would make sure they used the new improved one. Good luck

·
Registered
63 Posts
Interesting topic...I just got back from test driving a 2016 with 7,000 miles Auto 1LT. I heard a strange sound coming from the left rear area and the dealer said it was the exhaust but I knew it was something else. I felt like it was a warble sound so I did a search and this forum came up. I got all the way to financing approved at 2.99 and after reading this, I decided to cancel the deal. This forum has been very valuable. I'm just not ready to buy a C7 even under warranty to have to deal with this until it's identified and resolved. It only happened upon light throttle.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Interesting topic...I just got back from test driving a 2016 with 7,000 miles Auto 1LT. I heard a strange sound coming from the left rear area and the dealer said it was the exhaust but I knew it was something else. I felt like it was a warble sound so I did a search and this forum came up. I got all the way to financing approved at 2.99 and after reading this, I decided to cancel the deal. This forum has been very valuable. I'm just not ready to buy a C7 even under warranty to have to deal with this until it's identified and resolved. It only happened upon light throttle.
There is no extra cost for the warble. LOL.

Reactions: Redeemed

·
Registered
10,374 Posts
It is good that you were able to dodge that bullet. Hopefully you can find one which does not warble.

Reactions: Redeemed

·
Registered
63 Posts
Have we figured out when this warbling starts? I'm trying to figure out if it's something that happens early on with engine life or happens much later as well. I am in the market for a lightly used one under 10k or so and was hoping that if I drove one and it wasn't there, that it probably wouldn't become an issue. However, I think I am getting the impression that it doesn't matter and can crop up at any time.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Have we figured out when this warbling starts? I'm trying to figure out if it's something that happens early on with engine life or happens much later as well. I am in the market for a lightly used one under 10k or so and was hoping that if I drove one and it wasn't there, that it probably wouldn't become an issue. However, I think I am getting the impression that it doesn't matter and can crop up at any time.
Yep. Some folks heard it on the way home from the dealer when brand new. Others, like me, heard it with some miles on the car. In my case, around 10k.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rats...I was hoping it was right off the bat. Man, I really feel for all of you who bought it new and it started right away. :( I guess I could go with a manual or get one with the Z51 or just get one and hope for the best and be prepared to some day resolve it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I can tell you this. I have 50,000 smiles on my car now. It did the warble when I got about 27,000 on it and quit doing that at about 32,000 or so. Mine did it when I let up on the accelerator at the 1,500 rpm when it was cold and then would be normal again. Now there are no issues. I never did get the warble accelerating like others did.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rats...I was hoping it was right off the bat. Man, I really feel for all of you who bought it new and it started right away. :( I guess I could go with a manual or get one with the Z51 or just get one and hope for the best and be prepared to some day resolve it.
That’s right z51 or manual is the way to go. Mine had it since day one, I think they either have it or don’t, you can also keep trying as you already know what to look for when you test drive it. Good luck!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping to find a 2017 but then again, it seems those have some issues too. I had thought that I read that the later 2016s were resolved of this and expected to be safe on the 17s until I read that some owners exhibit this as well.

·
Registered
531 Posts
17s are doing this also, GM could care less. We had a 15 base stingray auto and it had the warble no longer have it.

·
Registered
842 Posts
So now the warble sound is isolated to only nonZ51 autos? I thought there were Z51 owners with the same issue??
The Z51 has an electronic slip differential. eLSD. Not the non Z51.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know ^^ but I thought the warble was caused by the transmission or torque converter, and was also present in some Z51s. ??

·
Registered
842 Posts
No. The warble is coming the differential. Shutter issues are coming from the torque convert when it goes into V4 mode. Several owners have had the warble fixed by getting a new differential. There is a new model out. Also there is a recommendation for dealer service departments to change out the differential fluid on cars that are not even experiencing the warble. It is a different blend. I had it done at my dealer in Lake Havasu.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Hmmmm. No issues with mine, ...yet. What form is the fluid change "recommendation" in? TSB, recall? Is it something I can ask for at the dealership and they'll take care of it, or do I need to be experiencing problems with my diff?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hmmmm. No issues with mine, ...yet. What form is the fluid change "recommendation" in? TSB, recall? Is it something I can ask for at the dealership and they'll take care of it, or do I need to be experiencing problems with my diff?
Here is an invoice that shows the appropriate part numbers for the fluid, etc.
There is no TSB. It is a recommendation at this time.

diff fluid invoice.JPG

·
Registered
1 Posts
C7 warble at 1500 RPM ANY recent UPDATE

Have read hundreds of threads about the dreaded 1500 rpm warble noise that sounds like a quick knocking like a woodpecker from rear drivetrain, if you youtube the search "2016 Corvette C7 Warble Noise A8 @ 1500 rpm" you will here this distinctive noise that again happens in any gear (A8 automatic) at exactly 1500 rpms. I have heard dealers replacing exhaust differential and many other parts. BUT I HAVE NOT READ ANYTHING RECENTLY, Nothing from 2018 or 2019. Is there anyone that no longer has this noise that has driven a few thousand miles and knows for sure what was replaced to fix? I have 2016 stingray with 7800 miles and have been to the dealer 3 times, Dealer hears the noise but have no idea what to fix or replace. Also annoying is that people are commenting about whine and other different problems they think are related, its not a whine, its a knock like a woodpecker knocking against a tree. I read one thread that was interesting about half shaft (the axle that goes from differential to rear) he stated dealer installed ZO6 half shaft as it was different diameter, since this problem only happens on Stingray models , it would seem logical to swap out what is different in the drivetrain between stingray and Z06/grand sport etc and try some of those parts if possible. Ironically I had a 74 vette with 454 and it would eat the u joints on the halfshafts and it sounded very very similar. Please help again with update

161 - 180 of 207 Posts