Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see several posts about a stress crack developing on the the C7 windshields. Well guess what mine just did it in the upper drivers corner. You can see its not a rock chip. My questions is there anything from GM about this? Something I can show my dealer to get this covered under warranty. Thanks

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,555 Posts
First day out on my '14 windshield cracked, was taken care of post haste. GM is aware of the issue, they should take care of it under warranty.

·
Registered
843 Posts
This is a known issue. Mine has been replaced twice all under warranty. Had to do with the locator tabs that locate the windshield when it is installed on the assembly line. Recommendation from GM was to cut off the tabs when installing by hand. It has nothing to do with temps, speed or loads of any kind.
You dealer service manager should rub his figure nail on the inside part of the windshield. He should know that is a stress crack covered by warranty.

Reactions: elegant

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Update: Just got back from the dealer. He noticed a 2-inch delamination on the passenger side. He said thats even better I don't even have to mention the crack. Windshield ordered 3-4 days to get.
Ah, that was excellent of him to notice and make the claim easier. Thank you for the update to let us know.

·
18,670 Posts
Another good dealer who wants to help his customer. Excellent news!

I would encourage you and he to very closely look at the new windshield before it is installed with light shining from the outside and you/he on its "inside" and check for waviness/distortion by looking at objects on the other side, moving your heads side to side and up and down to check for that (for even some GM ones occaisionally have this issue -- though much, much rarer than aftermarket ones).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another good dealer who wants to help his customer. Excellent news!

I would encourage you and he to very closely look at the new windshield before it is installed with light shining from the outside and you/he on its "inside" and check for waviness/distortion by looking at objects on the other side, moving your heads side to side and up and down to check for that (for even some GM ones occaisionally have this issue -- though much, much rarer than aftermarket ones).
Ok good info. l will look before they install. My dealer is really good. I have bought 5 Cadilliacs from him in 8 years. He knows I am really a pita about my cars they are spotless inside and out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My 2015 Z51 windshield had a stress crack that started below the molding on the drivers side, it was about 3 in. long. To it to my favorite Chevrolet Dealer, the service manager inspected it and stated it was a factory stress crack and the warranty did cover it. Wish you luck

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Ok, while walking past mine tonite I noticed a crack at the top on the drivers side. Maybe about six inches long. My challenge might be I have a small stone nick on the passengers side just above the hood. It has been there for a long time. I guess I will visit my dealer and see what they say.

Reactions: Ateupjoe

·
Administrator
16,302 Posts
Good chance that the dealer will find the crack is from the frame protrusion as others have experienced. Best of luck Liner Boy.

Reactions: Liner Boy

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Liner Boy, hopefully its covered under the warranty, have it squared away and get back to wheeling around TX.

SF
Rick

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Liner Boy, take her in and get it changed under warranty.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
This forum was a good source of info on the stress crack. I had it happen to my 15 Z51 at the beginning of the summer and it was covered under warranty. They are particular about making sure it's not caused by a stone chip. Many insurance companies will also offer an add on coverage for the windshield covering stone chips that cause cracks. I have that coverage through State Farm just in case these stress cracks recur and GM no longer wants to cover it under warranty.

When I had mine replaced, I told the dealer about the tab issue mentioned above by Joemessman. The installer said that he did not see any tabs to remove so I'm hoping he was honest and it doesn't happen again.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Took mine in today for an oil change and the windshield. Service Manager looked at it, took a picture to send into Chevy for approval. Told me it was the second one this week. The wait begins.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Update on my cracked windshield. The dealer got approval to replace it. There were 3 C7’s in one week. The windshields arrived last week and I was scheduled to have mine replaced last Friday. On Thursday I got a call from the Service Adviser telling me that all 3 windshields we’re scratched. They would need to reorder. So, the wait continues. Based on the fact it took a month to get the windshields, I think it will be December before I get another call.

·
Registered
10,419 Posts
Update on my cracked windshield. The dealer got approval to replace it. There were 3 C7’s in one week. The windshields arrived last week and I was scheduled to have mine replaced last Friday. On Thursday I got a call from the Service Adviser telling me that all 3 windshields we’re scratched. They would need to reorder. So, the wait continues. Based on the fact it took a month to get the windshields, I think it will be December before I get another call.
Oh, well, as long as they take care of it under warranty, having to wait a little while isn't too bad, I think.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yes. It took the third order for mine. The first one arrived in pieces and the second one had a bad seal.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
My experience was a little more positive than Linerboy and Joemessman. When mine was done, it was ordered and in the dealership within a week. Arrived in perfect condition and have been happy with the replacement. Wonder if anyone has had a second occurrence.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts