Stingray Corvette Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
18,670 Posts
When I had my C6’s windshield replaced, the body shop’s windshield subcontractor rejected the first two as they were too wavy in his opinion. Each time roughly another week. But the final one was perfect. Well worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Well I was surprised to get a call today from the Dealer asking me to bring my car in. The replacement windshields arrived today. I was assured that they have been inspected and are all good. More to follow. I should have it back tomorrow.

Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Registered
7,930 Posts
Well I was surprised to get a call today from the Dealer asking me to bring my car in. The replacement windshields arrived today. I was assured that they have been inspected and are all good. More to follow. I should have it back tomorrow.
Liner Boy, it's good to read that the windshield came in sooner than later. It makes me wonder how many windshields have cracked due to this situation. I check our windshield every time I wheel it around, before and afterwards. I still have our original windshield 2014.

SF
Rick

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Liner Boy, it's good to read that the windshield came in sooner than later. It makes me wonder how many windshields have cracked due to this situation. I check our windshield every time I wheel it around, before and afterwards. I still have our original windshield 2014.

SF
Rick
Rick, this is a good question. I get my service done at a smaller volume dealer in the city just east of Dallas where I live. My guess is they sell less than 20 Corvettes a year. But they have a good tech and seem to service a good number of Vettes. They had 3 stress cracks in the same week I took mine in. Seems high for this dealer, but maybe not. Hopefully I will get it back to Tomorrow. I had another warranty issue with my PDR so I am waiting to hear what the resolution is for that issue.

Reactions: U.S. Marine

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Update, I picked up my Ride today. My new windshield is installed and All looks good. I also had an issue with my PDR. It would work intermittently and just happened not to be working when I took it in for the windshield. Turns out the screen had a short. So that was replaced and all is good to go!

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Honestly, I am not sure. I will have to ask. They were busy when I picked it up.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Honestly, I am not sure. I will have to ask. They were busy when I picked it up.
That was the recommendation for the replacement procedure when mine was done about a year ago or so. The tabs were placed wrong at the factory and caused the stress fracture. GM told the dealership mechanic to remove the tabs before the re installation as they are not necessary. He passed that on the windshield installing company that came to the dealership to replace it.

Reactions: Liner Boy

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just noticed a small 5 inch crack drivers side in the black area on top of windshield. i called 3 dealers. two of them were #1 &2 in the country and both stated they have not heard of the issue. if someon can respond and let me know if there is a service bullentin out on this issue. my other problem I am out of warranty by 5 weeks under on mileage. Thank you in advance

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Ronnie, print out some of the discussions on this thread. My dealer tried the same thing and when I gave them the prints from here, all of a sudden they heard of it. They do stress crack and should be covered under the warranty.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
I just noticed a small 5 inch crack drivers side in the black area on top of windshield. i called 3 dealers. two of them were #1 &2 in the country and both stated they have not heard of the issue. if someon can respond and let me know if there is a service bullentin out on this issue. my other problem I am out of warranty by 5 weeks under on mileage. Thank you in advance
This is pretty common. The local dealer i used had 3 in the same week including mine. Chevrolet has to approve it. Given your warranty situation, sooner is better.

·
Registered
79 one owner, 2001 coupe, 2015 Z06
881 Posts
Well just found one on our 15. Warranty out but we’ll see what the dealer does. Ought to be pretty accommodating since we’ve bought three vehicles in four years. Usually great to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Well just found one on our 15. Warranty out but we’ll see what the dealer does. Ought to be pretty accommodating since we’ve bought three vehicles in four years. Usually great to work with.
Go for it. It is a known problem. The worst that can happen is they say no.

Reactions: Ateupjoe

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was out of warranty by 57 days. I called 3 of the of the largest corvette dealers and they all said they never heard of the cracked windshield issue. I went to my local chev dealer and the service manager agreeded that it was stress crack but since I was out of warranty. Chev agreed to pay for half of the windshield. I put in a claim with my insurance company and they said they would cover it. Well that opened up a can of worms when I told them they only had to pay for half because chev was paying for the other half. Insurance company took 3 days to get back but they did offer to pay. Windshield was fixed and Ins Pd Hal and chev paid the other half

·
Administrator
16,301 Posts
Glad it was repaired Ronnie and covered for you. It strange that the dealerships said they never heard of stress cracks. I'm pretty sure we have a number of posts which talked about stress cracks caused by barbs not properly removed on the frame at time of manufacture. Those were all covered under warranty.

Reactions: Liner Boy

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I too was one of the stress crack victims. Mine happened a few weeks before the warranty ran out. Dealer made a joke that they wouldn't be able to get to it until the following month and the warranty wouldn't cover it. The look I gave him must have been priceless because he sure was quick to say he was just joking and that even if it did happen after the warranty ran out and it wasn't a rock chip, he would try to convince Chevy to pay them under warranty. It's also a good idea to take that coverage out on your car insurance policy to cover rock chip caused cracks, especially if you have the heads up display. Ronnie, those dealers had to be lying to you since this is a very common problem with the C7. I took copies of some of the posts about the stress crack to the dealer when I went and they looked at it and said they would get back to me the next day on an answer from Chevy. The called me an hour later to tell me that it would be covered under warranty. Chevy clearly knows about it being a problem, so unless the dealers have their collective heads up where the sun doesn't shine, they were not being completely honest with you.

This is a case where having access to the info on this forum can be of great assistance to anyone else that has this or any other consistent problem develop.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I brought the dealer the posts on this forum and I think that is what got them to pay half. The issue was I was out of warranty. Of course this should not be a warranty issue. I have Travelers insurance with zero glass deudible. They picked up the part that Chev did not. It is the principle that Chev should have covered the whole charge.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
I notice that I have such a crack on my '15 Z51 convertible. However, it is in the "blacked out" portion of the windshield, is only noticeable if you look for it, and has no wind or water leakage.

I am inclined to ignore it, thinking that the process of getting it replaced may create problems that I now do not have, such as heads up display distortion, or leakage. Comment?

·
Registered
843 Posts
I notice that I have such a crack on my '15 Z51 convertible. However, it is in the "blacked out" portion of the windshield, is only noticeable if you look for it, and has no wind or water leakage.

I am inclined to ignore it, thinking that the process of getting it replaced may create problems that I now do not have, such as heads up display distortion, or leakage. Comment?
I believe it is a safety issue having a windshield with a crack in it as opposed to a chip. I personally don't believe it will create any problems that you do not have, because you do have a problem. A cracked windshield. I had mine fixed with that issue and it didn't create any problems. Replacing a windshield is straight forward the way the seal and parts are constructed on a C7. :untroubled:

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I believe it is a safety issue having a windshield with a crack in it as opposed to a chip. I personally don't believe it will create any problems that you do not have, because you do have a problem. A cracked windshield. I had mine fixed with that issue and it didn't create any problems. Replacing a windshield is straight forward the way the seal and parts are constructed on a C7. :untroubled:
It is a safety issue if the crack is in the site line. From where Milliwatt Rob described his, it not really a safety issue. Rob, I would get it replaced. You should never have water or air intrusion, but like all windshield cracks, the vibrations of driving will cause them to get bigger. Laminated glass is used in all current windshields which is essentially a "glass sandwich". A tempered glass layer on the outside, the laminate "meat" in the middle that allows give without breaking and the other glass on the interior. Yes, you can still go through a windshield if you are in a crash and not buckled in, but the laminate layer helps prevent it it many cases. The reason why you can't get a "full through" crack that would allow water or air intrusion. The crack may be closer to the laminate and not be felt at all on your windshield, but like I said earlier, it will get bigger.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts