Stingray Corvette Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im struggling with a decision and looking for some thoughts & feedback. I want to add the following list below and was quoted $3800 from local performance shop. Similar package from Hennessey is around $6K. The issue is - should I mod a brand new car as I heard there may be issues later. The work would be done by local shop that specializes in muscle cars. Want to add:
Pfadt 1 7/8 Tri-Y Headers w/High Flow Mid Pipes
High Flow Catalytic Converters
Pfadt Air Intake
Tuning, Dyno, Engine Calibration

What do you all think?

Reactions: i10fwy

·
Registered
108 Posts
So Im struggling with a decision and looking for some thoughts & feedback. I want to add the following list below and was quoted $3800 from local performance shop. Similar package from Hennessey is around $6K. The issue is - should I mod a brand new car as I heard there may be issues later. The work would be done by local shop that specializes in muscle cars. Want to add:
Pfadt Air Intake

What do you all think?
Who is the shop? BDM?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loud Pedal Motorsports. Extreme motorsports quote was $4K. Corvette Performance wont touch it. Havent checked with BDM.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Loud Pedal Motorsports. Extreme motorsports quote was $4K. Corvette Performance wont touch it. Havent checked with BDM.
BDM worked on my Callaway and did a great job. In the winter months you can sometimes find Doug Rippie hanging out there. I have not spoke to them but will be doing so in the near future.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Pfadt Air Intake

What do you all think?
Pfadt headers with cats 2000.00
Pfadt CIA 700.00 ( I think)
Dyno tune 450
Labor 400-500

That's where you should be roughly, your price looks good.

·
Registered
108 Posts
In AZ is this going to be an emmissions problem header & cats?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah thats what it came to roughly, but question, is - would you mess with a brand new car like this? Ive never done this, so I getting slightly cold feet

·
Administrator
16,653 Posts
Yeah thats what it came to roughly, but question, is - would you mess with a brand new car like this? Ive never done this, so I getting slightly cold feet
I would drive and enjoy it like it is for a while and then decide what you want/need. No reason to rush into it. :cool:

·
Registered
4,656 Posts
There's no reason not to do the mods on a new car if you can afford it and come out of pocket for repairs if something bad happens. However, the mods you are talking about have a pretty low risk associated with them. If you were getting into the motor for cams and such then you really need to have some cash in reserve since one reality of high performance is higher failure rates.

If I were you I would drive the car 100% stock to the first scheduled oil change before I made any changes. That should get you past any infant mortality on the key components, especially things like the e-diff if it's a Z51. Once you get past the first scheduled service historically cars are extremely reliable.

From there the mods you suggest should give you a lot of bang for the buck but if you're going that far I would consider cams too. That could get you real,close to 500 RWHP.

Future Stingray Owner
Current Rides:
2012 Jeep SRT8
2013 Porsche Boxster S
2012 VW CC

Reactions: Sinner and jsvette

·
Registered
124 Posts
On cars that have been on the market for a while- I drive them hard for about 500 miles then get to modding.
For cars that are new to the market- I drive them hard for a few thousand miles then go at the mods.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Go to YouTube and check out borla c7 exhaust. It's not out yet may be worth the wait

·
Registered
579 Posts
Pfadt Air Intake

What do you all think?
Very Nice Mods
But
Are you prepared for repairs that should have been warrantied and are now voided because of mods.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Pfadt Air Intake

What do you all think?
Well I usually drive my cars hard for 6 months (which is about 12K miles for me) then if all is well I mod them. I figure if it didnt break in the 12K miles stock it is probably my fault it broke now LMAO.

I did the same with my SRT, then my Camaro SS.. Going to do the same with the Stingray. I am at 2,200 miles so far

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pfadt Air Intake

What do you all think?
Check out Piccione Performance in Phoenix, they did the paint and lowering on my C7 which was at SEMA. I just dropped my C7 off for more mods and they had another C7, a Callaway and an older Lingenfelter 427 C5 they were working on. Its a real nice shop and there work for me has been top notch.

·
Registered
817 Posts
There are many good points raised here, both for and against.

The mods you are considering are indeed relatively low risk. And you'll feel the difference in performance and very likely hear the difference in sound.

The mods will also almost certainly void your warranty. The exhaust note may get annoying after the novelty wears off. Headers have been known to heat up an engine compartment and other areas of a car. And if the tune is not done correctly, bad stuff can happen.

I've been down this road myself. Headers and exhaust, cylinder head porting, bore/stroke, large/mechanical link carb, suspension, clutch and bell housing...

Lots of fun sometimes. Sometimes not. Me? Never again.

You mentioned "I getting slightly cold feet". Maybe for good reason.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I love it how a shop called Corvette Performance won't touch it!!

A customer of our who is now in AZ has had a few things done at Loud Pedal, and speaks highly of them.

Nothing you are doing, other than the tune, could really cause any problems, so I wouldn't worry about it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts