Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Have not seen anything on this topic for while. My 2014 C7 Convertible M7's GMPP warranty will expire in August 2021.
  • Suggestions on continuing the GM extended warranty?
  • Which dealer to buy it from? (Do some sell it at a discount?)
  • Other suggestions?
I have been very happy with the GMPP, which covered Infotainment system issues without question. I have only 12,000 on my C7.

Thank you for any help.

Ralph

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,157 Posts
I am sure there will be others to chime in and provide you information as I am not a fan of warranties and their cost so I can't help here.

That said, use the search box and type in key words on the topic of choice and I am sure you will find information on the topic. Here is a start where you can go through these threads. Good Luck!

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
Hi Ralph. Kyle has provided a link with many of the prior posts and discussions about the extended warranty. I would suggest that if you are going to continue with an extended warranty, only purchase the GM one like you did. It is honored by every GM dealer and is tied to your VIN so it shows up when work is needed on your C7. The warranty can be purchased from any dealer and yes, several do sell it at significant discounts. Check with Denny Menholt Chevrolet, one of our supporting dealer sponsors. Regardless of where you purchase the GM extended warranty, it is the same because it is actually issued by GM.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure there will be others to chime in and provide you information as I am not a fan of warranties and their cost so I can't help here.

That said, use the search box and type in key words on the topic of choice and I am sure you will find information on the topic. Here is a start where you can go through these threads. Good Luck!

Kyle,
Thank you for the suggestion, which found one great link my search had not found. It was from late 2019 and I will follow up on it. Entries older than that may not be really helpful in this case.

And as I said in other conversations here, my Infotainment system went bad, and after MANY dealer visits, it required TWO modules to be replaced. Remember that just going into the service dept to say "please look into this" will cost $125 or more if you're paying for it yourself. So I got my money's worth, and then some, from the GMPP. Plus, it minimizes "negotiating" with the service department when you have a problem.

Everyone's risk tolerance is difference.

Thanks again.
Ralph

Reactions: jsvette

·
Registered
2014 Arctic White C7 Z51
1,157 Posts
You use my favorite term on the topic and everyone has a different risk-tolerance and none are wrong but I do take "Calculated-Risk" of the likelihood of something happening to me and have been on the better side of things "knock-on-wood". Glad you found some information!

I know Jeff and/or one of the other members would help out on the topic as well as it's been discussed over the years. What Jeff mentioned has been the prevailing thought so might be what you might want to pursue.

Good Luck!

Kyle,
Thank you for the suggestion, which found one great link my search had not found. It was from late 2019 and I will follow up on it. Entries older than that may not be really helpful in this case.

And as I said in other conversations here, my Infotainment system went bad, and after MANY dealer visits, it required TWO modules to be replaced. Remember that just going into the service dept to say "please look into this" will cost $125 or more if you're paying for it yourself. So I got my money's worth, and then some, from the GMPP. Plus, it minimizes "negotiating" with the service department when you have a problem.

Everyone's risk tolerance is difference.

Thanks again.
Ralph

·
Registered
30 Posts
i had 2 C-7's, both under warranty, one had extended warranty and GM /dealer told me 'if it's running it does not need repair'. Both were issues with the A-8, one had a bad shudder and shift issues. other just hard, sudden shifting. They wanted to charge me $400 to put in the new formulated oil (under warranty). I sold both at a considerable loss. GM is evil and deceptive, dealers are worse. It's all about money, customer is not a consideration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Dennis Fichtner was very helpful to many of us wanting GMPP over the years. He is now back in Laurel Montana at Laurel Chevrolet. I'm very happy that I learned of Dennis on this Forum over 7 years ago. Dennis is no longer at Menholt Chevrolet in Billings Montana.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i had 2 C-7's, both under warranty, one had extended warranty and GM /dealer told me 'if it's running it does not need repair'. Both were issues with the A-8, one had a bad shudder and shift issues. other just hard, sudden shifting. They wanted to charge me $400 to put in the new formulated oil (under warranty). I sold both at a considerable loss. GM is evil and deceptive, dealers are worse. It's all about money, customer is not a consideration.
I have a 16 c7 , rear diff. was replaced at 1600 miles, dealer said ring gear wasn't shimmed properly. Radio screen scrambled once, had to reprogram it, took 4 hours at dealer. Next was torque converter shudder, dealer said too much line was used when car was built, they changed tranny fluid twice, then finally replaced torque converter. I have 7000 miles on car now. GM is definitely building junk. Fought with him to buy back the car when I had the diff issue, was denied in arbitration,. GM rep was on phone during hearing, she said that typically you lose 30% in value when you drive car off lot. I would have a very hard time to buy a new GM vehicle.

·
Administrator
16,506 Posts
Let's please keep posts on this thread specific to the original obtaining an extended warranty. Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Our "14 C7 with the M7 transmission passed 90k miles on our way home from Florida over one year ago, in Feb. of 2020. Since then it's been driven just over 1,000 miles due to lack of motivation to travel during the pandemic. The biggest thing we had done with the GMPP we bought from Dennis Fichtner was to replace the radio because the info. screen had been increasingly troublesome. But we had other "nickel and dime" things done over the years. Our first GMPP will expire this summer and we plan to buy another one from Dennis.

Our C7 has obviously been driven many miles, but they've been mostly "easy" miles on long trips. Never "Tracked"; still has the original clutch and brake pads. Our GMPP probably "paid for itself", approximately. The "Tire and Wheel" insurance we also bough at Dennis' recommendation did more than pay for itself.

It saddens us to read of the trouble some of you have had with your C7's, particularly those with the A8 transmission. We ordered our C7 with the stick because it saved us some money up front and it had very slightly better EPA fuel consumption test results. Over the years we've been increasingly happy we made that choice.

We're now beginning to plan long road trips again, but haven't settled on any destinations so far. Good luck to all ov you! bob

1 - 10 of 10 Posts