Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like the forum members opinion on this dilemma. A little different take.
I currently have the OEM Super Sports on my car. I now live in the San Diego area where the temperatures in the evening never get below 40 when I would be driving the car. As well as the daytime. Now I heard with the Pilot All Seasons 3+'s you will get a little more miles and maybe a slight reduction in road noise. But with the weather not being an impact is it worth giving up on the tire the car was designed for? Do not track, but drive it spirtedly. Also put on about 4000 miles per year.

·
Administrator
16,435 Posts
When the original summer only on RedHot needed to be replaced, I put on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ run-flats and have been very pleased. I doubt you will notice any difference in the handling, and have the advantage that they do better than the summer only in cooler temps. Michelin advertises them as "Michelin’s ultimate Ultra High Performance All-Season tire combining summer levels of wet and dry grip with cold weather and snow mobility."

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, sure don't need to worry about cold or snow. I have heard the AS3+'s are just a little slower on the track. Which of course is not the street and I don't track. Would be nice to see a side by side comparison of those two tires at different temperatures. Are the AS 3's much quieter and do they throw up less road debrie?

·
Administrator
16,435 Posts
Reactions: mbaessler

·
Registered
10,508 Posts
I would like the forum members opinion on this dilemma. A little different take.
I currently have the OEM Super Sports on my car. I now live in the San Diego area where the temperatures in the evening never get below 40 when I would be driving the car. As well as the daytime. Now I heard with the Pilot All Seasons 3+'s you will get a little more miles and maybe a slight reduction in road noise. But with the weather not being an impact is it worth giving up on the tire the car was designed for? Do not track, but drive it spirtedly. Also put on about 4000 miles per year.
Some other items to consider include: it is my understanding that the AS3+ should be softer and more pliable in other than hot conditions. Why can this matter? That should result in it being easier for a tire shop to mount without damaging the wheel, and to get the bead to seat more easily when inflating. That also could at least somewhat reduce the likelihood of a bent or cracked rim when hitting a pothole or abrupt bridge apron.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
The all season Michelins definitely have a smoother ride; plus their not as sticky so they don't kick up road debris.

·
Registered
Owned: '65, '75, '97, '01, '10, '14, now '16 Z06
9,617 Posts
So far, all my C7 tires have been summer. In my region, winters are mild with 30-40° days, with an occasional in the 20's.
With 52K on my '16, I drive throughout the winter except snow and ice of course. Even though you loose the bight of the summer tire in the winter, you drive conservatively, it's safe to drive.

I've had no issues with driving on the summer tires in the winter.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My C8 Z51 is much quieter than my C7 Z51 WRT to road noise. With the C7, the all season tires that I put on for the cold months were less noisy than the PSS... With the C8 I hardly hear any tire noise. It's just a better car. Yes I've driven the new one in 30 degree temps, and no, I didn't fly off the planet. I did make sure I didn't do stupid things, and left extra room to stop...

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I swapped my summer Pilot Sports last year for A/S3+ZPs when the OEM tires started showing cord on the inside of the rears at roughly 21,000 miles. Happy with the choice. they ride nicely and give me a bit more confidence in the rain or if I get caught in an early season snow, which has happened before.But as Norm noted, drive carefully with whatever tires you have in bad weather. BTW Norm, I had a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 (about 425 HP) for three years that ran on 20" high performance summer tires the whole time I had it. Drove it regularly in the winter but was always very careful in snow. No problem getting going with the 4WD but stopping and turning required a fair amount of forward planning and caution in execution. --Bob

Reactions: Norm

·
Registered
2 Posts
The AS3+ is quieter and smoother riding. since it has a different tread pattern and the tire doesn’t get as sticky when warm, it won’t throw rocks like the ss. I had to replace my wife’s windshield right after I got my C7, she was following me and those sticky super sports put a rock right in the drivers side. You might notice a little less responsiveness on a slalom course, but for everyday driving I prefer the AS3+. For the track I use a set of track tires on different wheels.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks, sure don't need to worry about cold or snow. I have heard the AS3+'s are just a little slower on the track. Which of course is not the street and I don't track. Would be nice to see a side by side comparison of those two tires at different temperatures. Are the AS 3's much quieter and do they throw up less road debrie?
I just went to the A/S3+ in non runflats on my 2016 Z51 and they ride much better, are much quieter, and less twitchy on the freeway. Love them!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I understand you give up quality track time moving to the AS3s.

·
Registered
2014 Premier Edition
176 Posts
Living in SW Fla, I'm probably just going straight summer tires when I need new shoes. Road Noise isn't even a consideration for me given that I never have the top on anyhow... ;)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the original OEM summer tires on my 2016 C7. They still have some life left. When the time comes I will switch to Michelin All Season Pilots. The tires I plan to purchase are the new Michelin A/S 4s. These are the same A/S tires that are used on the C8. For the front 245-35-19 the MSPN is 25339, for the rear 285-30-20 the MSPN is 24638. For some reason the fronts are ZP the rears are not??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pretty much the same here too. I changed to all seasons on my 19 Z06 and loved them. Mainly because they don't pick up road debris and sling it everywhere. A little less grip but I didn't mind and I hammer on it often. Less road noise but that wasn't a concern just a bonus to getting them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
The all season Michelins definitely have a smoother ride; plus their not as sticky so they don't kick up road debris.
I've had the same experience. And, I REALLY like that the AS tires don't do the tire hop thing when turning sharp corners slowly. Though, I got that back with my C8 and Summer tires. Oh well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts