Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats everyone's thoughts on type of oil to dump into the crankcase. I personally prefer AMSOIL and think full synthetic is the only way to go for better protection and less breakdown. Just my opinion, but I'd love to see the pro's (if any) for blends and conventional motor oils. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
I am pretty sure vettes have come with full synthetic in the crankcase for several years now. I find this pretty interesting as this makes for a more difficult "breaking in" period. My S2000 came with a high zinc content oil with instructions not to change for 5K so that all the engines parts could mate. I was not real comfortable with the 5K recommendation so I did my first change @ 4K with Mobil 1. I have used Mobil 1 in all my sportbikes with no issues so I continue to use it. I must say that the use of any quailty oil will work as long as it meets the specs set by GM. I tend to change the oil more often then I need to, but it strikes me as cheap motor insurance.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There are no pros for blends or congenital, synthetic is the only way to go. Either stick with Mobil 1, Amsoil, Joe Gibbs puts out a good synthetic, I'm sticking with M! or Amsoil.

Reactions: cereal killer

·
Registered
21 Posts
I will add a Gold Plug though. You'd be surprised at all the metal shavings they attract

·
Registered
24 Posts
HI there,
The basis for older recommendations of engine oils have been completely rewritten.

If you consider all the information on synthetics, partial synthetics are still almost as good as full synthetics. Look at Dexos 5W30, its a partial synthetic and meets the GM lubrication specification 4718M.

That being said, there is NO substitute for using a full synthetic such as Mobil 1 or others. Full synthetics have no contaminants to burn and flow better when cold. So, either way you go, especially for the new Gen 5 LT1, Dexos or Mobil 1 will still serve you well and your engine wont be fully broken in for about 10,000 miles.

Allthebest, TCM

1 - 5 of 5 Posts