Stingray Corvette Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine recently purchased a Stingray as stated above and I asked him how the ride quality was with the Z51 for a daily driver. Well, to my surprise, he gave me the keys and said to find out for myself. He didn't have to ask me twice.

I put it in Touring mode so I could hear the exhaust and it was right on, not too loud but loud enough to make me smile. Somewhat to my surprise the ride quality was more than acceptable, no jarring over bumps and actually very smooth on city streets. I didn't notice much of a difference in ride quality from Sport to Touring, keeping in mind that I was driving city streets at about 50MPH when I could. I have read the reviews that state the Z51 suspension is so tight that you would not want to drive the C7 much further than to the track. I disagree, ride was what a sports car should be and still acceptable as a daily driver.

The 7 speed shifter had a very solid feel, no notchiness and quite smooth.

The seats were very comfortable a milestone better than the seats in my 2004 Z06.

Bottom line from my relatively short ride, the car rocks, and is vastly improved in all areas from previous corvettes that I have owned and driven.

·
Registered
43 Posts
A friend of mine recently purchased a Stingray as stated above and I asked him how the ride quality was with the Z51 for a daily driver. Well, to my surprise, he gave me the keys and said to find out for myself. He didn't have to ask me twice.

I put it in Touring mode so I could hear the exhaust and it was right on, not too loud but loud enough to make me smile. Somewhat to my surprise the ride quality was more than acceptable, no jarring over bumps and actually very smooth on city streets. I didn't notice much of a difference in ride quality from Sport to Touring, keeping in mind that I was driving city streets at about 50MPH when I could. I have read the reviews that state the Z51 suspension is so tight that you would not want to drive the C7 much further than to the track. I disagree, ride was what a sports car should be and still acceptable as a daily driver.

The 7 speed shifter had a very solid feel, no notchiness and quite smooth.

The seats were very comfortable a milestone better than the seats in my 2004 Z06.

Bottom line from my relatively short ride, the car rocks, and is vastly improved in all areas from previous corvettes that I have owned and driven.
I should have my automatic Z51 by Fri. and I can't wait to experience what you just said.
BTW this I'll be my first Corvette so everything will be new to me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I drive my Z51 7 speed vert in Sport mode almost all the time and I don't see where the ride is harsh at all. And I like the exhaust in Sport mode better than Tour.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I drive my Z51 7 speed vert in Sport mode almost all the time and I don't see where the ride is harsh at all. And I like the exhaust in Sport mode better than Tour.
Yep! Though my wife prefers the tour mode for cruising when she's riding shotgun. Now to find that menu again so I can set the exhaust mode in Tour to be like it is in Sport.

·
Administrator
16,583 Posts
Rich427 you can go into preferences and turn off the "auto" setting on the exhaust and it will always be in 'open' mode, that is, if you have the NPP exhaust system.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
after messing with the NPP for 4500 miles , I've pretty much settled in to the opposite of most vette owners...I like it quiet. Around town I don't attract attention, the stereo has more clarity, and it's just very refined. I'd drop the NPP if I could , but the 4 inch tips look a lot better than the non NPP system, and as my car is primarily about looks, it stays...

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
I thought there was supposed to be a "stealth" option where you could have it quiet.

I think I would like to make it quiet all the time unless I explicitly wanted to make it growl for some reason.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
no, none of that stuff made it to production - you can follow the driving modes with the exhaust, or have it open all the time...I'm in tour almost 100% of the time.

·
Registered
957 Posts
Ummmm I am used to Driving Lipstic with headers and a cam...so my C7 seems quite to me ;), wish I could make her even louder!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Ummmm I am used to Driving Lipstic with headers and a cam...so my C7 seems quite to me ;), wish I could make her even louder!
Stop wishing and start doing:D. I already know I want to get a CAI soon and headers/xpipe within the next 6 months. Then after that will be onto cams. Now if I could just find where I buried all that money.

Reactions: Emmdmd

·
Registered
957 Posts
Stop wishing and start doing:D. I already know I want to get a CAI soon and headers/xpipe within the next 6 months. Then after that will be onto cams. Now if I could just find where I buried all that money.
Where oh where is the money tree!

Sent from my iPhone using Corvette Stingray Forum

·
Registered
993 Posts
I thought there was supposed to be a "stealth" option where you could have it quiet.

I think I would like to make it quiet all the time unless I explicitly wanted to make it growl for some reason.
Keep it in Eco or Weather mode (quietist setting). For growl, into Sport or Track mode.

no, none of that stuff made it to production - you can follow the driving modes with the exhaust, or have it open all the time...I'm in tour almost 100% of the time.
The salesman walked me through a series of menus (blasted throughout them…) and I'm certain I was where you could change the exhaust mode associated to a particular setting. I may need to go visit to get walked back though the menus to see if that was real or not.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
The salesman walked me through a series of menus (blasted throughout them…) and I'm certain I was where you could change the exhaust mode associated to a particular setting. I may need to go visit to get walked back though the menus to see if that was real or not.
yeah you need to visit again...what I wrote is correct....

·
Registered
993 Posts
Not saying you're wrong but I know what I saw as well. If I get a definitive answer that is different from what you know, I'll be happy to share.

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I have 4500 miles playing with it in my car and teach auto product features as a consultant for BMW so I know I'm correct.

in tour, eco and weather the valves are closed - unless you stomp on it in tour
in sport and track they are open...

there is no changing the above

under the settings there is the ability to have them open all the time no matter what the drive setting.

that is the way it works...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I'm happy you know you're right. I never said you were wrong.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10,602 Posts
Keep it in Eco or Weather mode (quietist setting). For growl, into Sport or Track mode.
Hi Art, yeah I will probably drive it a lot in ECO mode after all 8 cylinders have gone through the break-in procedure for the required number of miles.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Rich427 you can go into preferences and turn off the "auto" setting on the exhaust and it will always be in 'open' mode, that is, if you have the NPP exhaust system.
I am aware that I can set it up this way. My wife also will occasionally drive the car and she prefers the Tour mode. No big deal moving the dial from Tour to Sport, plus I like the responsiveness of the steering in Sport mode too. JMO.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I suppose since I assumed electronic valves, one could get creative and bypass the computer opening and closing of the valves and wire it directly to a switch inside the car and then just open and close them when you want to. :eek:

But I wouldn't recommend this....

·
Registered
5,453 Posts
I suppose since I assumed electronic valves, one could get creative and bypass the computer opening and closing of the valves and wire it directly to a switch inside the car and then just open and close them when you want to. :eek:

But I wouldn't recommend this....
I'll bet this will be avail within the year - the valves are electric..pretty simple mod to put em on a toggle....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts